how crazy is this? (inspired from reality tv)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=3295512

Mother Takes Applications from Daughter's Suitors

Mon August 18, 2003 12:56 PM ET
BOSTON (Reuters) - Who wants to marry my daughter?
That's not the latest reality TV dating game, but rather a sign planted on Donna Wood's front lawn in Southbridge, Massachusetts.

Wood is seeking a soul mate for her 22-year-old daughter Karah, whose romantic choices over the years have left much to be desired, the mother said.

Inspired by the NBC reality series "Who Wants to Marry my Dad," Wood posted an ad in a local paper and planted a sign on her lawn seeking the perfect gentleman, who should enjoy movies, horse-back riding, long walks and water sports.

"The last guy she dated prompted my husband and I to do this," she said. "He was covered in tattoos, was a lot older than she is and was just horrifying. She has no taste in men."

So Wood took charge. On Sunday, she will screen applicants, who are required to pitch up with an essay and a headshot, and will pick 10. After interviews, criminal checks and time with the family, the winner will be chosen by Woods, her husband and two friends.

The young couple will then enjoy a romantic night at a Cuddle and Bubble motel in Cape Cod, complete with an in-room Jacuzzi and a heart-shaped bed.

"We will make the final decision, but she will have her say since she will end up marrying him," she said. "We have to make the decision because if there's one bad guy and one good guy she'll pick the bad one."

Karah Devlin, who has a four-year old daughter, admits that her picks in life weren't necessarily the most sensible.

"Most of my decisions haven't always been the best, I'm very gullible, it's really hard for me so I can't wait until Sunday."

there first date is going to be at a hotel room with a heart shaped bed? classy :up:

That's a great way to pick up a good guy :|

Sounds like she should have made the sign say, "Who wants to sleep with my daughter"

Go figure.....someone in the U.S.A. whorring out their daughter for money and "fame".

Someone needs to tell America that not everyone deserves 15 mins. of "fame".

ABEL said:
"We will make the final decision, but she will have her say since she will end up marrying him," she said. "We have to make the decision because if there's one bad guy and one good guy she'll pick the bad one."
wow, how nice of them to let her decide who she wants to marry. then again, this girl is obviously going along with it, so i guess i don't feel too bad for her.

Its generating quite a bit of local press here in Boston.
The weird thing is that the girl appears to be quite cute, and she is only 22, so why such a spectacle is necessary is beyond me. Perhaps because she has a 4 yr old daughter its hard for her to date, but my guess is in a year or two, she and her newly selected husband will be holding a contest for lawyers called, "who wants to handle our divorce".

*see dkm at st. patrick's day in boston before i die*

ok, back to the thread. yes it's utterly stupid, it's got lame publicity stunt written all over it. it will all be in a book one day called 'this was your 2000s' and we'll all laugh at this and avril lavigne the way people laugh at family ties and wham! nowadays.

Edgeman said:
Go figure.....someone in the U.S.A. whorring out their daughter for money and "fame".

Someone needs to tell America that not everyone deserves 15 mins. of "fame".

I sense some Canadian jealousy. :wink:

I read a pretty interesting article about arranged marriages the otehr night in the Utne Reader. This is a bit out of the "arranged marriage" realm, but, could be viewed that way. Make em sign a contract.....make em stay together.

i saw that on the news. and felt embarrased that i live in the same state

but then again, as yertle pointed out, i live all the closer to a certain st. patrick's day gig

:D

Back
Top Bottom