Hotel California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
From the song Hotel California by The Eagles .... does anyone have a clue where the 'real' Hotel California is? or even if there is one that the song was based on?

After more research... I've found that it's just metaphor for Los Angeles.

According to Henley, The "Hotel California" is actually, L.A. itself. The song and album take you on a trip through the music industry in L.A. in the late sixties early seventies, when agents and studios controlled artists like puppets. Back in the late sixties, 1969 to be exact, there was a major onslaught of artists being signed left, right and center, and artisit at the time were often known to basically "sell their soul" to a record company executive in order to get a recording contract. Many times these artists were given little if anything for their music, and thus ended up basically a victom to their love of music.

If anyone knows anything different... let me know.

When I was little, I thought the song was about a haunted hotel. It scared the hell out of me. To this day, The Eagles still scare the hell out of me.

:sexywink:

There was actually a Hotel California, I think it was a bit of a dive like the real Morrison Hotel (the one in LA, not Dublin). The hotel no longer exists but the sign does and there has been (or at least was) a battle over what would happen with the sign because of its cultural significance. If you search through the LA Times archive, you should be able to find something.

Which hotel is on the cover of the album Hotel California? Wasn't that the Beverly Hills Hotel (or something like that?)

Wondering... :confused:

Marty

The Eagles scare me too, but in a different way.

PS there is an actual Hotel California. It's where Randy Newman went to die. Trouble is, he never did and just keeps on writing lame-ass songs for films like Monsters Inc.

You can check out any time you like Randy, but you can never leave.

Back
Top Bottom