Honestly, A Sports Thread Not Spawned By Michael Griffiths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cujo

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
This thread is devoted to mascot appreciation... let's show our love for those guys who put on those sweaty suits and make obscene gestures to visiting teams. Philly Phanatic... eat your heart out.

Disclaimer: the title is not meant to offend Michael Griffiths, or those affiliated with the Vancouver Canucks Organization. They have been compensated with a beer.

no, that is not me and MVD_75

Funny story about TC: I was in the U of Minnesota Homecoming Parade a few years ago with the comapny I work for. After the parade - we had to go back to our cars. I was parked in an alley - and down the alley came the guy who played TC, without the head on - it frightened me.

ph_community_TC2_020702.jpg

FULL NAME: T.C. Bear (The T.C. stands for Twin Cities)

HT: 6-4 WT: unBEARably heavy BATS: Both - mostly left-handed

THROWS: Both, but most of the time -- it's left-handed.

BORN: 1991 in Bear River, Minnesota

HOME: White Bear Lake, Minnesota

HOW OBTAINED: Signed as free agent, April 3, 2000

PRE-GAME MEAL: Dome Dogs, fresh fish, and the occassional pot o' honey

Before joining the Twins, T.C. lead the Carnivore League in home runs, RBI's and batting average. He also holds the league records of most trout eaten in a single setting (12). Though highly sought by teams throughout the country, T.C. chose to join his favorite club, the Twins.

Just one beer??? How cheap! I expect at least a 6 pack.

Here's one of our mascots, "Fin" (we also have a flying orca whale blimp, which is pretty cool):

fin226x295.jpg

FIN

NHL Affiliate: Vancouver Canucks
Height: 6-3
Weight: Light for an Orca
Favorite team: Vancouver Canucks
Super skills: Shooting mist from his blowhole, playing goal (no butterfly - "flops like a whale")

Little known fact: Favorite book is Moby Dick, favorite movies are Orca and Free Willy, favorite food is B.C. salmon

Rival: None yet, but give the rookie some time to get his fins wet in the zany mascot world.

NHL.com, thanks to an exclusive sit-down, was able to obtain this first person interview of FIN, the Vancouver Canucks mascot:

Hi, my name is FIN! I am one of the newest additions to the NHL's mascot family. I am an Orca Whale, discovered on Canada's West Coast. Things have been busy for me since my birthday, June 4, 2001. I went to Canuck Place, a hospice for children with life-limiting illnesses and their families, to spread some cheer and visit some of the Canucks' biggest fans.

I had a hectic summer spreading the word that the Canucks had an addition to their team. I was all over the Lower Mainland of British Columbia - NHL Breakout, Canada Day festivities, school visits, and appearances with our Community Caravan were just a few of the things on my agenda. We even had a contest to name me over the summer. It was real tough to go nameless for three months, but after over 2,000 entries were considered, FIN was selected.

This season has been a splash for me so far. I am the honorary referee of our intermission mini-minor hockey program, I shoot prizes into the crowd with my prize cannon, and interact with the greatest fans in the league! I have many talents, one being my trademark of blowing mist from my head, because as you know, whales breathe through their blowholes. I am known to "blow my steam" when the Canucks score a goal or when I'm just having some fun with the fans.

Some highlights early in my career are an interview with actor/comedian Tom Arnold. It was particularly difficult because whales and humans face a language barrier! I starred in a Family Channel children's special to be aired this spring ... that was a lot of fun ... especially driving the Zamboni. Another highlight was playing goal in a media shoot-out contest. I used my patented "flop like a whale" technique ... very unique!

If you are ever in Vancouver, come to General Motors Place and hang out with me and cheer on the Canucks. You can email me at fin@canucks.com too.

Last edited:
More loveable Minnesotans.....

FBGoldy.jpg

Goldy Gopher

eleven_large.jpg

Ragnar the Viking (not shown Vikingsaurus Rex - for good reason)

crunch.gif

Crucnh - the Timberwolves mascot.

Funny Crunch story: the scrawny little guy who played the original Crunch was caught coming out of a storage room in Target Center with a teenage girl. The sports journalists who told me the story back in journalism school) said something about the two doing it "doggie style." :lol:

Nevermind :eeklaugh::|

Last edited:
Proof that Howler has been fired--he's completely absent from the Avs website.

Here's the scariest and stupidest mascot Colorado has. When I first saw him, I thought he was a popsicle:

RapidMan%20copy.jpg

Rapidman, #H20
Official Team Mascot

Ht: one fathom
Wt: Gallons of Muscle
DOB: Opening Day 1996
Hometown: The Blue River, CO
College: Liquid State

Rapidman is the official team mascot for the Colorado Rapids! His favorite colors are black and blue, and Rapidman can be seen at all Rapids home games pumping up the crowd and visiting fans in the stands!

Rapidman likes all things aqueous, and he can always be found with his trusty water guns. One of his favorite things to do is cool down Rapids fans (and visiting team fans!) at INVESCO Field with a refreshing burst of water from his Super Soakers!

Rapidman can be seen at hundreds of various community appearances throughout Colorado all year long! He is available to be scheduled for private and public appearances.

For more information, or to schedule an appearance for Rapidman to visit your school, soccer team, business, hospital, birthday party, bar mitzvah, or any other event, please call the Rapidman Hotline at (303) 299-1598 or email Rapidman.

:laugh: I know, I know!

Dinger and Rocky are completely absent from the Rockies & Nuggets sites. :eyebrow: I had to find these on the Internet.

Dinger. My dad gets booed by Coors Field every season by refusing to dance with him on the Jumbotron:

jarsofclay.news.053002.jpg

(That's not my dad, apparently it's some guy in a Christian band. THEY have pictures of Dinger, for some weird reason.)

Rocky, who was arrested for domestic violence this year and is, according to ESPN, the highest paid mascot:

rocky_nuggets.jpg

Last edited:
did they try to make howler as homosexual looking as possible?

Chizip said:
did they try to make howler as homosexual looking as possible?

Do you mean Rapidsman? :der: Because he does look gay.

This is Howler, I finally found a picture.

howler0113.jpg

He seems pretty straight to me. He was always fond of the girls, anyway.

ah yes, rapidman

i heard his nickname came from his problems in the sack

There is very little on this Earth that I hate less than sports mascots.

Death to Smoochy.

I absolutely abhore Mascots. They scare the shit out of me. Something about grown adults in costume... :crack:

Michael Griffiths said:
Do you ever sleep? :eyebrow:

Chizip can't sleep, not in that mascot swingers circle!

Mascots don't usually start looking for love until 1 in the morning.
They're working the afternoons and evenings...right Chizip?

no, this is popsicle pete

POPSICLE.jpg

i could tell you a few stories about me and him, but kids could be reading this, and that wouldnt be appropriate

:up:

I'm sorry, Rapidman must be koolaid man... after he met Richard Simmons...

PS- great picture chizzer. Isn't that Conan O'Brien?

Back
Top Bottom