homestretch-the next month in the nhl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
ok a few things.

pavel bure needs to be traded to any where but anaheim or columbus.

id prefer the canucks, but we all know that will never happen.

the canucks. they won in a big way today, 5-0 over the lowely nashville predators. they needed that one badly, as chicago currently trails 8 seed phoenix 2-1 in the game. the coyotes were 5 points up coming in to today, i believe with a game in hand.

the canucks need one more key player. if they dont him now, then they better get him next year, even if that player is peter schaefer. good brandon wheatking player deserves the less than a million a year he wanted. give him the money and theres a good chance he'll deliver more than the 16 goals hes given the last two years!!! players like that are a bargain!!!

kaspar the friendly ghost might stay in pittsburg while lang, despite a broken wrist might be on his way out.

the rangers are currently looking into acquering pavel bure or paul kariya. if young talent is involved, look for florida to pull the trigger.

dallas is also in the hunt for bure.

look for new jersey to shake things up in the summer if they crash and burn in the dozen or so games remaining. that might include arnott, definatly holik, and a defenceman.

buffalo is shipping gratton. the way hes playing lately, its making it good and hard on buffalo. collecting numerous points in his past few games, showcasing gratton is paying dividends in trade value but will also make it dificult on them if they want to trade a hot player when they are on the brink of making the playoffs.

dont kid yourself caps fans, jagr is available for the right price. the very fact that numerous sources have said "jagr is not solely to blame" for the capitols season speaks volumes that things simply are not working in the capitol.

while were on the subject of the caps, peter bondra was earlier on in the season and summer on the trading block, while adam oates bluntly made it clear he didnt want to be in washington any longer. oates, however has since said he doesnt want to get traded any more.

canucks fans, look for your season tickets to either jump or prepare yourselves for a $ player and his salary to be dumped in exchange for draft picks in the offseason. burke claimed recently the team will lose "in the millions" this year. never a good sign, considering the team doesnt have a high payroll, and are selling out a great deal of their games, while putting out a relatively decent product on the ice this season.

look for the islanders to go after amonte. the rangers wouldnt mind bringing him back either.

if the blues make a quick exit in spring, and joseph hasnt signed with toronto, look for st. louis to make a great offer to their former goaltender.
-----

ok folks, thats just some of what ive heard from various sources. read it as you will, most of them are only rumors anyway.

cheers to uncertainty!

------------------
-deathbear

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
pavel bure needs to be traded to any where but anaheim or columbus.

bure will be a ranger by the trade deadline.

Originally posted by Zoomerang96
the canucks need one more key player. if they dont him now, then they better get him next year

it will be next year. the canucks need a forward but don't have much to give. the only tradeable person i see left would be skudra but they're gonna need a backup going into the playoffs, i don't think even burke is dumb enough to trade away his backup.

kaspar the friendly ghost might stay in pittsburg while lang, despite a broken wrist might be on his way out.

well it pains me to say it, cause i really don't like the guy, but if kasparitus goes anywhere it's gonna be toronto. don't know what quinn will give up, he has already refused numerous offers for brad boyes(one of the leafs few bright prospects) it looks as though the pens might hold on to him however the leafs need another defence. their solid play at the moment aside, this defence will wear thin during the playoffs.
dallas is also in the hunt for bure.

look for new jersey to shake things up in the summer if they crash and burn in the dozen or so games remaining. that might include arnott, definatly holik, and a defenceman.

i think you're right. the team is becoming a revolving door and it doesn't look as though it is gonna get any brighter soon.

if the blues make a quick exit in spring, and joseph hasnt signed with toronto, look for st. louis to make a great offer to their former goaltender.

the rumor of a rift developing between quinn and cujo is crap. i have it on good authority that any feelings of ill will harbored by cujo following the olympics towards quinn have been dropped. no deal is gonna be signed previous to the end of the leafs season however. they were close a couple of weeks before the olympics but after cujo's injury all talks have been put on hold. the goaltenders camp is thinking if he can take the leafs deep, ie the cup finals he will get the money he has been asking for if he doesn't he will get something less. if the leafs match or beat the best offer he will sign with toronto, he wants to stay in toronto.

this all comes out of toronto. two sources at one of the big city papers and one from a national daily.

don't be surprised at all if New Jersey trades Bobby Holik before the trade deadline, he'll be an unrestricted free-agent in the summer and has all but promised he won't be back in NJ next year

the Devils will make the playoffs, and still may shake things up in the off-season regardless

Well i'd venture to say that the oilers will be moving boston native Tom Poti. Everyone hates him.

He is played like shit all year. He is a great d-man but has no confidence. He's supposudlly a offensive d-man but has 1 goal all Year!!!

He's rumored to go to NYI for Brad Isibister.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Originally posted by bonoman:
Well i'd venture to say that the oilers will be moving boston native Tom Poti. Everyone hates him.

He is played like shit all year. He is a great d-man but has no confidence. He's supposudlly a offensive d-man but has 1 goal all Year!!!

He's rumored to go to NYI for Brad Isibister.

to his defence he missed a fair number of games due to contract disputes and injuries. he is a good player, and i thought he played very well with team usa during the olympics.

babygrace i have heard nothing of barber leaving, and i do agree with the rumor mill being scary. a few years ago i was shit scared bure would be traded, and well he played one more year with the team before he was dealt. not a good feeling.

------------------
-deathbear

haha, i figured youd be mad. oh well, im pumped. thats 4 in a row now, but theyve played 3-count em 3 more games than dallas.

whats with the schedule?! why is it so staggered??? oh how i long for the day when the canucks will start and finish the season the way they can.

oh and trade the sedin twins. i really cant see them turning into anything.

------------------
-deathbear

what about the Flyers-Dallas thing with Barber leaving? I'm scared
eek.gif

wouldnt surprise me though, Clarke never can hang onto a coach too long.
we'll see how many come true Bear, I try to ignore the rumor mill because it worries me and usually the deals end up being completely different anyways
rolleyes.gif

scratch what i said about bure. it looks as if both sides have stepped back.

i think the biggest action(if there will be any) will be out of pittsburgh or buffalo.

i'd like to see the leafs pick up wooley or poti. the islanders have to do something before tommorow.

Tom Poti is a good player. If he had any confidence he might be. But him being in edmonton is bad for him and the team. Everyone is on his back and he will never get confidence like that. He did miss 15 games. But really he has played 55 games and still only has 17 points. Thats a point every three games. He plays all the PP and gets 25 minutes a game.

I could see the oilers unloaded 3-4 players. They have 4 kids ready to come into the league next year. Mike Grier might go to NYR. Or maybe Todd Marchant. Murray or Moreau are all good chartcter players and migt fit somewhere else. And Poti is nearly a given. There is even talk about Anson Carter being traded if the right trade came along. He;s a 30 goal scorer.

Bure wont go anywhere. Why would they get rid of him now. This is the worst time to give a superstar up. You will never get full value for Bure at the deadline. The panthers are in the selling postition. No buyers.

As for the leafs. They need another superstar. They are full of good players. With the exception of sundin and joesph. They need another big name. Jagr? Bure?

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Originally posted by kobayashi:
scratch what i said about bure. it looks as if both sides have stepped back.

forget what i said there--> http://www.tsn.ca/NHL/readstory.asp?Story_ID=2263677
Mar 18) TSN has learned that the Florida Panthers have dealt Pavel Bure to the New York Rangers in exchange for Filip Novak, Igor Ulanov, a first round pick in 2002, a fourth round pick in 2003 and a switch of second round picks in 2003.

Bure, 30, is a three time 50-goal scorer in his career, but has struggled this year with Florida. He has 22 goals in 55 during this years campaign.

The right-winger is under contract for the next two years at $10 million US a season.

The Russian Rocket is no stranger to big trades. In 1999 he was dealt from Vancouver along with Bret Hedican and Brad Ference and a conditional 3rd round selection to the Florida Panthers for Dave Gagner, Ed Jovanovski, Mike Brown, Kevin Weekes and a conditional 1st round selection.

panthers-why are you so stupid? ulanov? novak?
bure is worth twice as much come four months from now.

I agree that the Panthers didn't get much for Bure. However, I think that he causes more problems for his goal-scoring prowess to offset. I would never want him on my team. The Canucks got Jovo for Bure, and I'm sure most would take Jovo over Bure right now. I hope the Rangers miss the playoffs.

This is a terrible trade. Your right koby, come off-season his worth is much bigger. The panthers will never build a decent team if they trade their biggest players.

The rangers wont make the playoffs and i will laugh.

------------------

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
it's not so much what the Panthers got, it's what they got rid of -- $30 million in payroll over the next 3 years

but why not wait 4 months?

have a lot more teams interested. more level thinking. better budgets...

i just don't get it.

you don't think the Rangers were desperate to get him? I really think you're over-estimating what teams will give up to get a guy making that much money -- who performs like he should be making a merre fraction of that money

oh i'm sure the rangers were desperate. but as much as bure doesn't show his greatness on the ice, i don't see much of the rangers desperation in the trade.

all i'm saying is 4 months from now bure would have fetched a higher return than Ulanov, Novak and a draft pick.

watch what anaheim gets for kariya(though they are not similar in skill, imo, they are similarly regarded for the trademark value)

Originally posted by BabyGrace:
[begin rant]Clarke King of the Tinker Moves does it once again.

yeah the tibbetts thing was pretty bad from a PR standpoint but we'll have to wait and see if that translates on to the ice and dressing room.

picking up oates was pretty shrewd. giving up oullette(sp?) was probably difficult but i think it is safe to bank that one of boucher or cechmanek is going to develop into a more full tender than they are presently.

plus it is supposedly a fairly weak draft and the flyers do have other picks in the early rounds from what i understand.

It was a intresting day on the market.

Bure, Oates, Neuiendyk, Arnott, Poti, York, Kasper. Some big names traded today.

I think the oilers got the edge in their trade. It was a win win for them. Poti was not going to get any better in edmonton and York is a 70 point man with alot of talent. Murray is expendable.

I To tell you the truth i really dont like the Oates trade. He's a great player but he has top 3 yrs left. They gave up one of the best young goalies and 3 picks. I dont know alot to give up for 3 yrs. But since it seems JR might not make it back this season it was nessasary.

I hate to see Colorado do this again this season. First Fluery, then Bourque, Blake. I hate to see team buy players!!

The NJD/Dallas trade i thought was the best. Joe and Lagenbruner will be a great fit in NJ. And Arnott has always been a good player that doesnt have enough heart.

Also, Kobay, i would like to correct you. You said that this draft isnt supposed to be great. It is looking to be the deepest draft in the last 6-7 yrs.

------------------

I vehemently disagree about the arnott not having heart comment, but whatever, it's a bad trade for NJ, they don't sign their own players and they just traded away a guy who is 27 with many good years still ahead of him for a guy who is 36

the only thing that would redeem this trade is if Langenbruner starts realizing some of his offensive potential (oh, and the Devils also surrendered a #1 draft pick, that can't be overlooked)

Also, Kobay, i would like to correct you. You said that this draft isnt supposed to be great. It is looking to be the deepest draft in the last 6-7 yrs.

well i'll be the first to admit i am not up on the junior game, this is just what i have been told.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I vehemently disagree about the arnott not having heart comment, but whatever, it's a bad trade for NJ, they don't sign their own players and they just traded away a guy who is 27 with many good years still ahead of him for a guy who is 36

the only thing that would redeem this trade is if Langenbruner starts realizing some of his offensive potential (oh, and the Devils also surrendered a #1 draft pick, that can't be overlooked)

i think it was, for the most part, 2 teams who have gone through similar processes this season(and in the past) getting together to shake things up. arnott's days were numbered in NJ for some time supposedly.

i would also agree that he definetely has heart but would propose that he plays a somewhat 'relaxed' style. he makes the game look easy and is criticized as such in the same way sundin was before he stepped up his emotions in last years late season and playoffs.

it will definetely be interesting to see if neundyk(sp?) can get gomez and the rest of the devils going. with brodeur in net they really are capable of anything if they can get in.

i really can't see room being made for both the NYC area teams as i don't think the habs can afford to lose their playoff spot and they won't. the rangers have the uphill battle not to mention the sabres who won a huge game tonight over the struggling sens are hot at thier heals(buffalo has a tough 3 games ahead of them as they face the northeast's 'axis of evil' in boston, toronto and then back to the sens).

When Arnott played in Edmonton he was quoted, after a terrible performance, saying he doesnt always play with 100%.

He is a good player but will never become the superstar everyone thinks or wishes he can be.

Joe is one of the best character players in the league. NJ needs a player that will turn the teams confidence around. I guarentee NJ will do much better in the playoffs with Joe then they would have ever done with Arnott.

i would like to know your thoughts on a the possible trade Poti for Gomez?

------------------

[begin rant]Clarke King of the Tinker Moves does it once again. Kent Manderville perfectly good player traded for a rapist, beater of police, and eluder of police at 120mph most recently from what I understand. That should really help to boost team morale right as its sinking again at this lovely point in the season as it does every year. Boucher is a sieve, a lovely one, but a very good one, and the team can't play in front of him. 3-0 lead, give up three quick goals in the third for a tie against the Lightning. The usual theyre totally mental I quit
frown.gif
[end rant]

carry on

------------------
You make yourself vulnerable to change in your life. But in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world.
-the B-man

When Arnott played in Edmonton...

Joe is one of the best character players in the league. NJ needs a player that will turn the teams confidence around. I guarentee NJ will do much better in the playoffs with Joe then they would have ever done with Arnott.

i would like to know your thoughts on a the possible trade Poti for Gomez?

I realize you got to watch Arnott play a lot in Edmonton, but much has transpired since his days in Edmonton. Are we talking about the same guy who scored the Cup-winning goal in 2000? The same guy who has constantly played with aches and injuries for New Jersey? Jason Arnott was the #1 center on a team that came within 1 win of repeating as Stanley Cup Champions, what more do want from the man?!?! He's not Mario Lemieux, nor is he Eric Lindros (thank God for that), but to say that he has no heart is being blind to the last 3 seasons. And once again, Joe is a nice player, but he's old, how many good years does he really have left in him? It just doesn't make sense for a team that doesn't sign its own free-agents to trade for a player that is 9 years older; if it were a team like Philly, Toronto or Detroit doing it, then it would make sense, but considering NJ's philosophy in this respect, it's suspect, unless they plan on changing their strategy, and if so they should start by signing Bobby Holik.

As for trading Gomez, that would have been absolutely dreadful. Gomez has been the victim of NJ failing to sign Alexander Mogilny, and then failing provide a suitable replacement. The one thing I will say about the Arnott-Nieuwendyk trade is that perhaps it will help Gomez continue to mature as a player and person.

Back
Top Bottom