Holding doors is a thankless job

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impy13

ONE love, blood, life
So I'm leaving the mall and I'm holding open the door for my girlfriend, like a proper gentleman, and another couple is close behind so I hold the door for them too...

NO "THANK YOU"

This might be a small thing to be so pissed about, but I am absolutely livid.

:mad:

Dammit I forgot to put the lemon next to this thread.

inmyplace13 said:
Dammit I forgot to put the lemon next to this thread.

:lol:

Well, it happens you know. People are either pre-occupied, in a bad mood or just don't care. I like to believe that it's not the latter. :wink:

I held a door for 7 people at the movie theater the other day and I only got one 'thank you'. 1 out of 7 and the one was an old man.:|

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
That's almost as bad as when you're driving down a residental street and you let another car pass and don't get so much as a nod of thanks. :rant:

Oh yeah, I hate not being thanked on the road. Just lift your hand a bit and make me feel like I'm being recognized for being a ncie guy.

Shit.

We have a 3 year old and one of the first things we taught her is please and thank you. You can hand her a napkin and she tells you thank you.

If a 3 year old can do it you would think an adult can.

I usually say a loud, sarcastic, "You're welcome!" to people who've ignored me when I held the door for them, or let them ahead of me in the grocery line because they have fewer items, etc. etc. At worst, they keep ignoring me. At best, I embarrass them in front of the other people who are around us. :madspit:

i ALWAYS say thank you whenever anyone does things like that for me. you know what someone did for me yesterday? it was no big deal but i thought it was so sweet. i was getting on the trolley with my ex and i gave him the only open seat cuz his arm is broken so i can take the risk of getting bumped better than he can. so the older man sitting next to him scooted over so i'd have room too. i mean no one got up or anything but still then it was a little cramped. i made sure to turn over and tell him thanks. :)

i too hate it when i hold the door for people and don't get a thanks. :mad:

That is nice, Khanada :).

I'm lucky-I generally get thanks from people when I hold a door open for them. And I've had many people be nice enough to hold a door open for me (my old boyfriend having been one of them :)), and definitely always say thanks. But yeah, it does kinda suck when people don't thank you for a kind gesture and that. That's a shame that some of you have had to deal with that.

Angela

I always hold doors and I can't stand it when people don't - it's a common courtesy

A few days ago I stood there forever holding a door for a girl who just turned her back and talked to her friend

People don't seem to have any basic manners anymore

People will be rude, but I will still hold the door for them. Can't say I'm really in it for the thank you.

It is nice to surpise people with a thank you - sometime you can tell they never hear it from people.

No offense, but you're doing an unsolicited favor. You don't "deserve" recognition for it, since you're imposing a thank you. Not everyone asks you to hold open the door, right?

Actions like that shouldn't be done if you're always expecting someone to say thanks. A good deed is worth something in and of itself.

Performing an unbidden act = not a reason to get upset for not receiving a thank you. I dunno, I guess I am just playing devil's advocate.

^ Yeah, but even if it's not a solicited favor, shouldn't they at least be nice enough to acknowledge your good deed? I mean, I hold the doors and I get peeved whenever they don't say thank you just like many out there... I'm not really asking for it though but it's still common courtesy. That's what I believe. But then again, you can just tell us all to become doormen so we can be acknowledged and thanked properly.

Ah :shrug:.

I could care less if someone says thanks because half the time I am already on my way to my business. In Canada, if you step on someone's foot, they say sorry.:wink:

Phalanx said:
No offense, but you're doing an unsolicited favor. You don't "deserve" recognition for it, since you're imposing a thank you. Not everyone asks you to hold open the door, right?

In my line of work (bellboy), holding the doors at the entrance is something I have to do. Not getting thanked for that is just as bad as being stiffed for taking someones bags up (which happens a lot).

inmyplace13 said:
In my line of work (bellboy), holding the doors at the entrance is something I have to do. Not getting thanked for that is just as bad as being stiffed for taking someones bags up (which happens a lot).
i'd always give you a tip :flirt:

i was talking about money you pervs! :mad:

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I have to say most people are very nice and hold the door or say thank you. It's when I'm holding a small child still making the effort to keep the door open and they just scoot past on their cell phone not bothering to take the door from me or say thank you:rant:

Phalanx said:
Actions like that shouldn't be done if you're always expecting someone to say thanks. A good deed is worth something in and of itself.

I totally agree with you-you should do a good deed just because it's the right thing to do, not 'cause you're expecting anything in return.

It's just that, you know, I always thank people who hold doors open for me just 'cause they're courteous enough to do so, especially if I've got a ton of stuff in my hands, and I appreciate that. I think that's all these other people are getting at-they showed courtesy towards somebody, so it'd be nice if the person was courteous back.

But yeah, I do agree with you, too.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
I totally agree with you-you should do a good deed just because it's the right thing to do, not 'cause you're expecting anything in return.

Do the good deed because it is the right thing to do.

Say thank you because it is the right thing to do.

We need civility lessons in our schools.

I do it because it's the right thing to do, I don't expect a thank you, certainly not these days

But I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that other people might hold a door for me or at least to not let it slam right in my face, which is what so many people do. Or to expect them not to leave me standing there holding it while they turn their back and talk to their friend :shrug:

I'm not saying I expect a thank you. Just that it is polite and courteous to thank someone for it, and a good percentage of people don't these days.

I will hold doors at work because I'm payed to do it, so that's different. But I hold doors when I'm out places because it is polite and courteous. Do I expect anything in return? No, but to not thank someone for doing you an unsolicited favor is rude.

Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom