Holding doors is a thankless job - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2005, 09:33 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Phalanx
No offense, but you're doing an unsolicited favor. You don't "deserve" recognition for it, since you're imposing a thank you. Not everyone asks you to hold open the door, right?
In my line of work (bellboy), holding the doors at the entrance is something I have to do. Not getting thanked for that is just as bad as being stiffed for taking someones bags up (which happens a lot).
__________________

impy13 is offline  
Old 06-26-2005, 09:36 PM   #22
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,683
Local Time: 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
In my line of work (bellboy), holding the doors at the entrance is something I have to do. Not getting thanked for that is just as bad as being stiffed for taking someones bags up (which happens a lot).
i'd always give you a tip

i was talking about money you pervs!
__________________

__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 06-26-2005, 10:05 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 01:37 PM
impy13 is offline  
Old 06-26-2005, 11:10 PM   #24
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,683
Local Time: 06:37 PM
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 08:17 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
 
redkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: racing to the waterside
Posts: 19,620
Local Time: 05:37 PM
This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I have to say most people are very nice and hold the door or say thank you. It's when I'm holding a small child still making the effort to keep the door open and they just scoot past on their cell phone not bothering to take the door from me or say thank you
redkat is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 11:51 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,610
Local Time: 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Phalanx
Actions like that shouldn't be done if you're always expecting someone to say thanks. A good deed is worth something in and of itself.
I totally agree with you-you should do a good deed just because it's the right thing to do, not 'cause you're expecting anything in return.

It's just that, you know, I always thank people who hold doors open for me just 'cause they're courteous enough to do so, especially if I've got a ton of stuff in my hands, and I appreciate that. I think that's all these other people are getting at-they showed courtesy towards somebody, so it'd be nice if the person was courteous back.

But yeah, I do agree with you, too.

Angela
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
I totally agree with you-you should do a good deed just because it's the right thing to do, not 'cause you're expecting anything in return.
Do the good deed because it is the right thing to do.

Say thank you because it is the right thing to do.


We need civility lessons in our schools.
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 02:05 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 27,607
Local Time: 07:37 PM
I do it because it's the right thing to do, I don't expect a thank you, certainly not these days

But I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that other people might hold a door for me or at least to not let it slam right in my face, which is what so many people do. Or to expect them not to leave me standing there holding it while they turn their back and talk to their friend
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,610
Local Time: 06:37 PM
Exactly, MrsSpringsteen.

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Do the good deed because it is the right thing to do.

Say thank you because it is the right thing to do.


We need civility lessons in our schools.
(or, better yet, start that at home).

Angela
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 02:25 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 01:37 PM
I'm not saying I expect a thank you. Just that it is polite and courteous to thank someone for it, and a good percentage of people don't these days.

I will hold doors at work because I'm payed to do it, so that's different. But I hold doors when I'm out places because it is polite and courteous. Do I expect anything in return? No, but to not thank someone for doing you an unsolicited favor is rude.

Just my opinion.
impy13 is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 02:52 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
U2@NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Back in Buenos Aires
Posts: 4,281
Local Time: 07:37 PM
Next time, hold the door for them, and, if you do not get a "thank you" while they are half-way through, just slam the goddamn door in their noses...
U2@NYC is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 03:13 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict
 
MsMofoGone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Where is not important...
Posts: 26,742
Local Time: 06:37 PM
... that's brutal !!

I would hold the door open if someone was right behind me as that is the "polite" thing to do ...

But whatever the circumstance, I couldn't intentionally "hurt" someone for NOT saying "thank-you" ... no matter how rude that may be !!
MsMofoGone is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #33
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,683
Local Time: 06:37 PM
if i don't get a thank you these days i scream "you're welcome!!" and i walk off and really exaggerate my limp (i love it if they're older too) as i walk away.

although i can usually tell now who will and won't say anything or at least acknowledge that i did them a favour and i don't bother holding the door for certain people. i've lost count all the times a guy has let a door slam in my face when i'm literally less than a foot behind him. i remember one time i was walking in a building where there is a set of doors and then another set of doors. it was a situation like that, the guy didn't even have to go out of his way, just hesitate for a sec so i could grab the door. i forget if i said something or just huffed or what. but the second time he held the door probably more out of guilt and i just flashed him a smile and said thanks. i thought it was better to take the high road in that instance than to bitch about his rude manners. even if i didn't think the person was going to say thank you, if someone's right behind me, i will hold on a sec while they grab the door.

what i do not like though is when they don't grab the door, like i'm supposed to hold it like i'm a fucking doorman. excuse me, is this my job? i'm standing here holding it for you so you grab it, that's how 99.999999999% of people know how it works. if you're too retarded to understand that you then get the door or if you're too germphobic to touch the door, then please shoot yourself in the head or just become a hermit. (please note these flaming idiots don't have their hands full or aren't even talking on their cell phones, their hands have at most a handbag, the same as me. if i can hold a door so can they. and these people also never say thank you.)
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 03:33 PM   #34
New Yorker
 
wenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,644
Local Time: 08:37 PM
I hold the door open for others if they're close enough to wait for or if their hands are full. Saying thank you is the polite thing to do and I'll say 'you're welcome' if I do get one and even if I don't.

If I don't hold the door open than I'm considered rude, where if I DO hold it open I get no thanks for it?

I always say thank you because, like the person holding the door, I believe in being gracious and considerate.
wenda is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 03:38 PM   #35
New Yorker
 
wenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,644
Local Time: 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
if i don't get a thank you these days i scream "you're welcome!!" and i walk off and really exaggerate my limp (i love it if they're older too) as i walk away.

although i can usually tell now who will and won't say anything or at least acknowledge that i did them a favour and i don't bother holding the door for certain people. i've lost count all the times a guy has let a door slam in my face when i'm literally less than a foot behind him. i remember one time i was walking in a building where there is a set of doors and then another set of doors. it was a situation like that, the guy didn't even have to go out of his way, just hesitate for a sec so i could grab the door. i forget if i said something or just huffed or what. but the second time he held the door probably more out of guilt and i just flashed him a smile and said thanks. i thought it was better to take the high road in that instance than to bitch about his rude manners. even if i didn't think the person was going to say thank you, if someone's right behind me, i will hold on a sec while they grab the door.

what i do not like though is when they don't grab the door, like i'm supposed to hold it like i'm a fucking doorman. excuse me, is this my job? i'm standing here holding it for you so you grab it, that's how 99.999999999% of people know how it works. if you're too retarded to understand that you then get the door or if you're too germphobic to touch the door, then please shoot yourself in the head or just become a hermit. (please note these flaming idiots don't have their hands full or aren't even talking on their cell phones, their hands have at most a handbag, the same as me. if i can hold a door so can they. and these people also never say thank you.)
I totally agree with you. I HATE when people just go on through without so much as a smile of thanks. Like I woke up and decided to hold the door open only for you.

GRRRRRR
__________________

wenda is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×