hola senor beckham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
all i have to say is thank god i didn't buy his Man Utd Kit

[q]England captain bound for Madrid in package worth up to ?25m

Beckham finally joins world's most successful club after weeks of tactical play

Stuart Millar and Michael Walker in Madrid
Wednesday June 18, 2003
The Guardian

It could go down as the most sumptuously choreographed move in the history of the beautiful game: the world's most glamorous player joining the game's most successful club while on a visit to its most sought-after merchandising market.
David Beckham last night flew out of Heathrow a Manchester United player and today will land in Tokyo on the books of Real Madrid.

The seemingly endless cycle of speculation, gossip and empty denial over the deal finally came to an end when it was announced that Beckham was joining the Spanish champions on a four-year contract initially worth 25m euros (?17.6m) to Manchester United with a further ?7m going to the club depending on appearances. Reports last night suggested Beckham would be earning ?4.2m a year.

The transfer package is much less than the ?40m mentioned in feverish speculation, reflecting both Beckham's determination to sign for Real and Manchester United's determination to get him out of Old Trafford before their summer tour of the US.

By far the most significant British football export for more than 10 years, the England captain will be officially unveiled as a Real Madrid player on July 2 in a ceremony at the Bernabeu stadium.

But it is the timing of the announcement while he is on a promotional tour for his sponsors in Japan, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam that may prove far more symbolic for the club and its new star. In a classic piece of understatement, he told fans via his website: "With such great fans all across Asia, I'm sure it's going to be a memorable trip."

The Spanish giants covet Beckham's signature as much, if not more, for his iconic status among the far east's football merchandise-hungry fans as for his famous right foot.

In Ronaldo, Luis Figo and Zinedine Zidane, the club not only have the world's finest footballers but a marketing trio that all but sews up the European and South American markets. Now they have taken the first step to dominating the far east too.

The region has become a crucial target for any club seeking global marketing appeal. Beckham Manchester United shirts accounted for more sales there than those for the rest of the team put together.

Last year's World Cup in Japan and South Korea demonstrated the England captain's extraordinary popularity among young Japanese. At every match, even Japan's home games, the stands were packed with locals wearing England shirts emblazoned with Beckham's name and his trademark number seven.

Those who have been rushing to buy similarly decorated Real shirts in anticipation of the transfer will have to return them to the shops, however. Beckham will not wear the number seven, which stays with Raul. Instead, he will take over the number 11 shirt from Ronaldo, who is finally being allowed his first-choice number nine with the departure of its previous occupant, Fernando Morientes, to Roma this summer.

A detail likely to bring dismay to at least one of the midfielder's merchandising partners: his clothing range at Marks and Spencer is branded 07DB. [/q]

I Pity the fools at Real...

vsbeck5.jpg

seriously, real madrid is stacked. could they have any better players or...

as a man, i have no problem saying that beckham is the best looking guy in the world. id even call him super-hot, if i were in fact bisexual. but since im not, ill just simply call him manly-alicous.

and just for the record, i had the chance to see ronaldo play when i was in milan in 2001. :D

Michael Owen and Beckham are both very good looking, but MissV, Owen plays for Pool! You can't really beat that....

:mad:

.....When they play well :angry:

:wink:

The so-called "hottest player" at Ipswich just got sold off. For less than a million. Established Republic of Ireland international (although I doubt he's Irish - probably from Halifax or somewhere), scored at the World Cup, dedicated player who missed only one game for us in four or five years (and that was through international duty and not injury), versatile club captain, and loyal team man. Valued as high as 10m prior to this season. Going for? 750k, which could rise to 950k.

ok, sorry for hijacking, but I'm a bit tired of reading Davy Becks' name in my newspaper everyday.

Last edited:
i think real madrid will explode.

it could happen at any time now. bursted full of egos. i dont think it was a coincidence that they didnot win the champions loeague this year. they are no longer a team. which is fine since i cant stand them anyway.

and, david beckham, please... he isnt that good a player (not bad though)

hey, if anyone told Sociedad that they would be playing in the Champs League next season they'd have locked you up. Still, they threw it away at Vigo, so I do feel a little sorry for them. Looks like Becks is going to be joining the best team in the world (not necessarily a fav of mine, though)

2nd place. It's not bad for a team which almost got relegated last year, yuh?

I don't know... I don't actually think Beckham will do Real any good. (well... perhaps except for the commercial value) I mean, Real needs a defender, isn't it? There's no problem for the attack, but its defence, er... :no:

Back
Top Bottom