Hippy! Do you like the Wolfmother record?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lmao:

!!!!!

I do indeed like this album :yes: It took me a couple times through to get used to the voice (and it changes throughout the tracks).

But I think this is one that will grow on you... interesting concept to the album. I suggest reading this paragraph about the production of the album as I think it helps appreciate the album: (taken from www.wolfmother.com)

"Throughout this process Myles, Andrew and Chris remained committed to retaining the raw, emotive punch of their live performances. Everything was directed toward capturing "the perfect feeling" rather than "faultless performance". The result is a record on which reckless abandon and glorious imperfections underpin the most evocative moments. "

I bought it at Best Buy for $8 and I think it was worth it :up:

Sorry for the delay in response :reject:

hippy said:
awesome! let me know what you think of it.

I don't know of anyone else who's even heard of them :shrug:

My flatmate's a big fan of them, though I hadn't heard of them beforehand. Since, though, I've also seen them come up in discussion in prog circles, though opinions have been mixed with none particularly outstanding.

I don't think I've heard even one complete song so I can't really judge.

Axver said:

My flatmate's a big fan of them, though I hadn't heard of them beforehand. Since, though, I've also seen them come up in discussion in prog circles, though opinions have been mixed with none particularly outstanding.

Ah... I go by what I like. I decided to check them out after hearing "Dimension" and liking it. :up:

I don't think I've heard even one complete song so I can't really judge.

Well, if that isn't an upload request, I don't know what is ;) I'll be back soon...

I had a listen at iTunes. Sounds cool, but wow, I thought I was listening to Led Zeppelin cover band from the 70s. I'm still trying to decide if this is a good thing or not. I mean, even the mixing of the drums sounds dated.

mininova has it. Took 10 minutes to finish the torrent.

I'm hearing Beatles/Horselips/Rush up the whazoo on "Tales From the Forest of The Gnomes."

Nice stuff.

guy in some other forum:
Wolfmother... better than Jet?

hell, yes! anything is better than Jet, but still... I find this band annoyingly average

hippy said:
I'm a classic rock chick all the way, so I was instantly drawn to the sound exactly for that dated feel.

I am too, but I don't know...I think there's a difference between being inspired by classic rock and actually recreating it. Still, some of the riffs sound cool. I won't rain on the parade. :wink:

Sometimes rock and roll is great because of it's visceral feel. Excitement.

That's what I'm getting from this. It's hardly original.

But you don't need to reinvent the wheel to make a good rock record.

Overthinking=never enjoying anything.

MrBrau1 said:
Sometimes rock and roll is great because of it's visceral feel. Excitement.

That's what I'm getting from this. It's hardly original.

But you don't need to reinvent the wheel to make a good rock record.

Overthinking=never enjoying anything.

Of course everyone is different, but that's kind of why I enjoy a lot of the "classic" feel of Wolfmother and Jet. It gets me excited :)

hippy said:

Of course everyone is different, but that's kind of why I enjoy a lot of the "classic" feel of Wolfmother and Jet. It gets me excited :)

If Jet hadn't been all over radio and VH1 with "Are You Gonna Be My Girl", if they were some small band from Canada with 12 members, liked by all the "right" people, they'd be much more acceptable to the "right" people.

That said, I don't really like them.

They were on Conan O'Brien Thursday evening. I saw the one song they did. Had this 70s vibe about them... Don't know what song it was...

Wolfmother are HUGE right here in Australia! I had a listen to their debit album and while its harly anything original, it still fucking rocks :rockon: I hope they will be one of Australia's most successful exports. I'm going to have to catch them live someday...

Yikes, Jet? Jet makes me want to shoot myself.

But most of the comparisons on this thread seem to be positive, so maybe I'll give Wolfmother a play.

I drove around a bit yesterday and got about three-quarters of my way through the record, and I freaking love it so far! Somebody's been listening to Queen; anyone else here the Tie Your Mother Down riff throughout Woman?

Back
Top Bottom