Hey, anyone want to hand me some London advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Ok, so I'm shamelessly using this board to garner advice and help on my travel plans, but hey...it's an open-topic forum, right? :D

My question is this. I'm spending roughly one day and one night in London in mid-August and I'm perusing the internet and whatnot for a hostel to stay at. I've been to London once, but it was only for a few hours and I just rode the tube around and saw a few of the biggies (Big Ben, London Bridge, Parliament, Picadilly Circus, etc.). I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on what part of town would be a good area to look for a hostel in. Ie. there are things to do, pubs to eat in, and stuff to see within walking distance, but not a scary trashy area of the city. Make sense?

Anyways, any random tidbits of advice you want to pass along would be much appreciated. :up:

Oh and if anyone lives in London and wants to get together for a pint or something, I'd be more than happy to do so. ;)

-sula

Definately eat at Wagamama's.

The best noodle shop I have ever been to.

Go to the original one.

Have #23 Miso Ramen and a Peach Iced Tea.

Thank me when you are done with your meal...

ouizy, I thank you in advance.

Oh and thanks to the Brits who have so kindly PMed me with advice. Looking forward to seeing some of you. :up:

My only suggestion is to go see "The Full Monty" because a friend of mine is in it and I can't go see it. Go and send him a big hug from me. :) He's in it until the last week in August. I think theatre is way cheaper in London than in NYC, too.

If you can get me discounted tickets or a meeting with your friend then I'm all over it. :sexywink:

DEFINATELY eat at Wagamama. It's delish. As for lodging- don't stay in hostels, they have a habbit of being NAAAAAAAStay. Try a Bed and Breakfast instead- they're generally just a few pounds more than a hostel and you get to meet local people and have at least one great meal. If you like shows, visit the half-price ticket booth.... The National Gallery is great too ( and free! ). Go see a comedy as a Groundling at the Globe if you can. Well worth standing on your feet for three hours.

I Love London. TAKE ME WITH YOU!

lol. See, I've backpacked Europe before, and I have stayed at hostels all over. I think I'll manage just fine. I'm not particularly fussy. (must be all that living in the 3rd world as a child or somethin' :huh: )

ooh, national gallery. Yes, that is on my list. :up: And it seems that I must make an effort to go to Wagamama, as you all recommend it so highly. :D

i don't think there's gonna be enough hours in the day! :scream:

As far as I can remember, overseas calls from England were pretty reasonable, if not cheap. ;) So you can waste your time and call me. :D

Have you been to the Tower of London, Sula? That's pretty interesting with all the crown jewels, history and the Yeoman's tales of ghosts lurking in the tower. I think the not-so-good part of the city is Soho, the red light district, but I'm not sure. Harrod's is pretty overrated. There's nothing much to see there. If you have time to go to Ascot in Berkshire (I commuted from a train in Essex to London to Ascot -- 'twas fun!), the Windsor Castle is a lovely sight. Plus, I could never forget the maple fudge they have in one of the shops there. To this day, I've never tasted anything quite like it.

dizzy said:
As far as I can remember, overseas calls from England were pretty reasonable, if not cheap. ;) So you can waste your time and call me. :D

lol. I'll call ya from here if you want. I have a good rate. :D Wanna talk SE Asian memories?

sulawesigirl4 said:
lol. I think I'll manage just fine. I'm not particularly fussy. (

Let me just clear something up- I'm not terribly fussy myself (Shut up, Diemen!), but the hostel I stayed in in Bath had a big wet spot (I think you know what I'm talking about) in the middle of my bed and there were three couples in the room creating other wet spots while I was trying to sleep. *shudders* Not the best esperience of my life.

joyfulgirl said:
My only suggestion is to go see "The Full Monty" because a friend of mine is in it and I can't go see it. Go and send him a big hug from me. :) He's in it until the last week in August. I think theatre is way cheaper in London than in NYC, too.

Yes! I saw that at the end of my London trip...it was a blast! (and the lead guy is hot!) But it was hilarious, and we were able to get tickets that day. Have a blast Sula! Wish I could go again soon!

Peaseblossom said:

Let me just clear something up- I'm not terribly fussy myself (Shut up, Diemen!), but the hostel I stayed in in Bath had a big wet spot (I think you know what I'm talking about) in the middle of my bed and there were three couples in the room creating other wet spots while I was trying to sleep. *shudders* Not the best esperience of my life.

lol. yep, I've heard those stories from many a traveller. thankfully, in the numerous hostels I've stayed in, I have yet to have to deal with it. *knocks on wood* my favorite story was the one this canadian girl told me...I forget which country she was in, but the guy in the bunk above her had some girl with him and not only were they going at it, but they were taking pictures as well! :eek:

ah well. hopefully the advice I have gotten from Angel (thank you girl!) and the hostel I have subsequently booked will work out ok. If not, I've been told i have a back-up option (thank you AcrobatMan!). :yes:

When I stayed in London, I lodged at the Generator Hotel. Think it's within walking distance of the city? It was pretty dodgy, with blue and red interiors, scary posters, and guards who slid down the stair rails when no one was looking (I surprised him). But boy, were the mattresses soft and breakfast was always nice. Think it was pretty safe.

foray

Back
Top Bottom