Hey all! Im off to OZ this December! Need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Hi!

Ive just booked a flight to Melbourne and I have never been to Oz before so Im absolutely dead excited about going to where I have always wanted to go to...

Im due to leave on Xmas Day for Melbourne and will spend 4 weeks (I know, too short for some but thats all the time I can take off work! :scream: ) travelling to these places: Adelaide, Sydney, Canberra and Tasmania. No time for Queensland, Ayers Rock, Darwin or Perth Im afraid.

So to any of you Aussie interferencers here, I need your tips and advice:

Out of the cities and the surrounding areas Im going to, what are the best places to visit? I need some ideas so I can make the most of my time in Oz!

Which of these cities should I go to for the New Year? Sydney, Melbourne or Tasmania? I cant make up my mind where to go as I heard Sydney is spectacular with its amazing fireworks while Melbourne is kinda more laid back I think than Sydney (you can correct me if im wrong here! :wink: ) and finally I have a couple of friends who live in Tassie who says I should go there for the New Year. So where should I go?

And where is bonoman? he is an aussie interferencer here and I have met him back in 2001 in Dublin for Slane show so Im hoping hes still hanging around here to give me some tips!

cheers matey and hope to see you all in Oz!

dougal

You made the right choice.

Melbourne rocks, good nightlife and much better than Sydney. If in Victoria I would recomend some of the areas down on the coast, spending some time going down the great ocean road is great.

I can only assume that you are going to Adelaide to meet people.

Tomer said:
go to Hapert :up:

Im sorry you lost me there......is that a town or some Aussie drink? never heard of that word or name!

and, headache, LOL! If I see the Lollipop Guild I will! But I dunno what you mean by that! I guess I will have to look it up or is this
some kind of joke?

methinks you both are talking aussie language here and I havent a clue what youre talking about! LOL!

dougal

A_Wanderer said:
I can only assume that you are going to Adelaide to meet people.

Yep I am meeting a good pal of mine there by the name of Melinda whom I knew for the last 2 or so years while living here in London....

Cant wait to go there as I heard its kinda cool of a place to visit...

Oh by the way as a Brit who had celebrated every birthday in the middle of winter here in UK, Im so SO SO SO looking forward to celebrate my birthday in OZ! Actually cant freaking wait to go to the beach to soak up the sun, drink beer and do some surfing on my birthday! :hyper: Its gonna be an amazing birthday!

cheers

dougal

dougal55 said:
and, headache, LOL! If I see the Lollipop Guild I will! But I dunno what you mean by that! I guess I will have to look it up or is this some kind of joke?

Duh... The lollipop guild. They live in Oz...

vc52.jpg

..give 'em a shout out... yo

Last edited:
omigod! how could I be so stupid! *feels really embarassed*

of course....... the lollipop guild......doh! :banghead: my brain isnt doing great today as Im up to my neck with my workload here!

*walks away in embarassment and tries again to read The Wizard of Oz*

dougal

well my first advice would be to visit in April . But you have chosen December ( come back a year later and U2 might be here)
So I'll give you the same advice I gave salome, which he later thanked me for. Get a hat that you really like, preferably wide -brimmed, and wear it!!
maybe go into a bit of training and get as much sun as you can before you arrive. December can be so fecking HOT imho. Slip slop slap...yes mum :D

If you don't like crowds I'd go to Tasmania for NYE, the south-west coast.. If you do like crowds, especially ones under the influence, I'd go to Sydney.
I haven't travelled much, but I do like Melbourne. Lotsa nice gardens.
Bonoman was from Brisbane, I hope your shout out reaches him.
Australia is a beautiful place imho. You'll find plenty to do and see. Have fun.

Congrats on making it to Australia, although seriously I would totally recommend making the effort to make it to Queensland (Brisbane, The Gold Coast and The Sunshine Coast, are some of the most beautiful places in Australia and are absolutely glorious at that time of year)

I agree with what Cass said about New Years Eve, anywhere can be fun as long as you are with great people. I spend my New Years at the Woodford Folk Festival and have done for the past 10 years, so that is my reccomendation
http://www.woodfordfolkfestival.com

but you are not coming to QLD, so I would go with Sydney, its a beautiful city... and as for what to do in Australia, it depends on what you are into, but I would recommend going along the great ocean road in victoria and visiting the Port Arthur penal colony in Tas, a friend of mine just went there recently and said it was hauntingly amazing...

and why on earth are you going to Canberra????

go to Ramsay Street :D

I did. It was a highlight of Melbourne for me :reject:

I have got many many photos of me standing in front of Jim Robinson's house with a big fecker of a grin on my face :up:

And, in response to Cass...I was a Brit in Oz and I have to admit to feeling overheated there...and it was July!!! Although this was in Cairns, and I have been known to get sunstroke in Devon in May :reject:

Melbourne is wonderful, lots of great, food, entertainment etc. Theres a Jamaican restaurant on Lygon street that makes the BEST chocolate mud cake. Have it as a meal. (Im hoping the restaurant is still there, its been a while). Theres some famous markets in Melbourne but Im not sure if they have gone down hill and become a bit corporate now. Expect to eat too much in Melbourne :drool:

Sydney, gotta go to the Powerhouse Museum, maybe a day trip to the Blue Mountains. Dont bother with the Darling Harbour aquarium thingie, its not very good. Taronga zoos pretty cool, as is the ferry ride to get to it. And the Opera House, Harbour Bridge.

Canberra, which I havent personally been to, has many national art galleries, museums, most of the good stuff is there but I wouldnt plan on doing anything in the evening.

Adelaide sucks. The only capital in Australia that sucks more than Perth is Adelaide. Ask Melinda to meet you in Melbourne, its not that far. :|

If I were you, I would delete Adelaide and explore the country side near Sydney, Hobart and Melbourne instead.

Last edited:
Melbournes pretty great.
i've not been anywhere else besides melbourne and brisbane...that will change for the next U2 tour though.

i only just remembed the other bonoman as i'm writing this, i was gonna say..i went to slane!??! :)

beli said:
Dont bother with the Darling Harbour aquarium thingie, its not very good.
hey!!!
that aquarium rocked my socks

second best to Great Barier Reef only

:applaud:

OzAurora said:
Congrats on making it to Australia, although seriously I would totally recommend making the effort to make it to Queensland
ja, I spend about 2 weeks touring just Queensland last half of november last year
and 2 weeks was way, way too short really

Queensland really is beautiful

Salome said:
hey!!!
that aquarium rocked my socks

second best to Great Barier Reef only

:applaud:

nup. crapola. Next time come to Perth. We can walk to the Perth aquarium thingie. Tonnes better than Sydneys and Im not the sort to highlight things in Perth. :|

I know you only have 4 weeks and it sounds like you're meeting some people along the way, but I truly think you need to check out Queensland. Brisbane is a highly underated city which has come a long way in the past few years. If you do make it here, be sure to check out the Valley for some great live music, and go to the Sunshine Coast , particulaly Mooloolaba, rather than the Gold Coast.
Far North Queensland will be hot as hell and dripping with humidity, and you also won't be able to swim any further north than about Bundaberg cause of the box jellyfish, so you're probably wise to give it a miss in December.
You have chosen the hottest time of year to visit, and I really advise you to be careful about sunburn. Oh, and watch for the crocodiles, and the red backs, and the funnel webs.... lol
Have a great holiday!

Back
Top Bottom