Here come the birds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Some birds are building a nest in our mailbox! My mother actually wants to remove the mailbox to a place in the yard where the birds won't be disturbed and set up another box to use for the mail! We just discovered the activities this afternoon after seeing a couple of birds bringing leaves and stuff for a nest! This is interesting. More as this story develops.

My sister says we should try to move the nest. The mother birds get fiercely protective of their eggs and then their chicks, and peck the hell out of people or anyone else who gets too close to their babies. I'm amazed that they're building a nest in July. We're wondering if the hurricane had anything to do with this.

the rockin edge said:
:laugh: there's a chipmunk living in our mailbox :lol:

:lol: :cute:!

*:hug:s Mr. BAW :(*

verte, that's interesting about the birds. Is there a tree or a box or something that you could put the nest in?

Nothing's living in our mailbox-an advantage of living in an apartment with mailboxes that are inside the building :). I've just been getting a lot of cool things in my mailbox the last few months from some very generous people :up: :hug:.

Angela

We used to have an ant nest in our mailbox. The ants were quite clever - they'd nest unnoticed in the mailbox and then ride the mail onto the kitchen table and then....FEAST. As soon as I figure out where all the kitchen ants were coming from, I put an ant trap in the back of the mailbox. :D

Now we have these insects (like a bee, wasp, hornet....I don't know which!) living in our eaves right above the front door. We never see them, but they are wood-boring so if you stop talking, you can hear them eating and boring away inside the wood. It's kinda scary. There's only one tiny hole they go in or out and they have this GIANT bumble bee guardian we call Thor the Wonder Bee. He is always flying around our front door. He leaves us alone, but he attacks other bees that come near the eaves and chases them away or kills them (it's true, I found an unwelcomed bee dead, flat on his back right by the door where Thor guards).

the rockin edge said:
I don't think the mailman thinks so, there's chipmunk crap all over it half the time:wink:

:lol:...yeah, good point, I can see where that'd bother him (and anyone who has to fetch the mail..."You go get it!" "No, you! I ain't touching that stuff!" :p).

We've had the occasional ant wander through here, but overall, it's been pretty nice as far as bug infestations go...another advantage to living in an apartment building (and on the second floor, no less) :up: :). Definitely a nice change of pace from last summer, when we still lived in Nebraska...ladybugs CONSTANTLY came into our home then, and they'd gather around the light fixture in our living room, and hang on the chain that you pull on to flip on the light or ceiling fan. It was kinda gross when they did that, 'cause then there was always this huge cluster of them on the chain, and bug clusters are kinda gross-looking to me for some reason. The constant stream of them made me not like them as much as I used to.

LivLuv, LOL, the ants just wandered in with the mail...that's weird. And that bee sounds...:uhoh:...yeesh. That's some weird insect activity going on at your home.

Angela

that's cos nobody is that LAME...wait a second....

anyway, I like birds.
my advice - don't kill them.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
We used to have an ant nest in our mailbox. The ants were quite clever - they'd nest unnoticed in the mailbox and then ride the mail onto the kitchen table and then....FEAST. As soon as I figure out where all the kitchen ants were coming from, I put an ant trap in the back of the mailbox. :D

Now we have these insects (like a bee, wasp, hornet....I don't know which!) living in our eaves right above the front door. We never see them, but they are wood-boring so if you stop talking, you can hear them eating and boring away inside the wood. It's kinda scary. There's only one tiny hole they go in or out and they have this GIANT bumble bee guardian we call Thor the Wonder Bee. He is always flying around our front door. He leaves us alone, but he attacks other bees that come near the eaves and chases them away or kills them (it's true, I found an unwelcomed bee dead, flat on his back right by the door where Thor guards).

If It's really huge and black it's a carpenter bee and you might want to exterminate it. Termites take over their nests after they leave. You should have seen the workers at our house run for their lives from that giant bee :lmao: me watching safely from inside the house. You'll need to fill the hole though.

Verte don't move the mailbox it might disturb them too much we had doves nest this year:cute: They didn't stay too long. Put out a temp. box for the mail :shrug:

We're trying not to move the mailbox. But the mailbox is right outside the door, and my sister says the hen will peck at anyone who gets anywhere close to that nest. I don't know what we're going to do.

^well then if they're mean birds I'd move 'em or actually I'd have someone else move them wearing a helmet and gloves

(confesses to being a little afraid of being pecked by a bird:reject: )

redkat said:

If It's really huge and black it's a carpenter bee and you might want to exterminate it. Termites take over their nests after they leave. You should have seen the workers at our house run for their lives from that giant bee :lmao: me watching safely from inside the house. You'll need to fill the hole though.

OK, I called the landlord a few weeks ago, and the girls on the other half of the duplex said a guy came over and sprayed all the eaves, so I'll have to go out and check if I still hear them inside. I haven't seen Thor in a week or so, but he's gone for a while and then come back again before. He's usually out guarding when it's sunny and hot, in the afternoons and evenings.

What we did was close up the mailbox with duct tape. It was such a horrible place for a nest. It would drive the mother insane, what with all of the people coming to the door being, to her, a threat to her eggs and then her babies. It's too bad. I would have loved a bird nest right out of the window, I've been a bird lover all of my life. But it's not really fair to the birds, and they need to build a nest somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom