Henry Rollins UNAPPRECIATION thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's pretty ignorant to dismiss a musician on the grounds that you haven't heard anything by them, particularly a group as influential as black flag.

otherwise, the general consensus seems to be that rollins really is an asshole. being opinionated and outspoken is one thing, but rollins comes off as completely cynical and arrogant, and seems to feel the need to tear down anyone he takes issue with. this is pretty much confirmed by interviews i've seen with him and other things i've read about him.

michael azzerad's book "our band could be your life" (an excellent chronicle of the indie scene in the 80s) has a chapter devoted to black flag, and rollins just came off as a complete sociopath. also, according to interviews with trent reznor, rollins was completely antagonistic to him on the first lollapalooza tour (both nin and the rollins band were on the bill), likely because rollins "the punk vet who paid his dues" resented nin for being the "hot young" act

my friend is a fan
I watched his live stand-up comedy routine.
he actually seems like a decently nice guy
and he was pretty funny

Well I've listened to Black Flag and others on the hardcore scene. Not really my thing. And I understand about all the influence he had in the 80's. But, for all his wit one of his more notable jabs at U2 is that "Bono has a bubble-butt"? Classic...third grade insult. He's a putz!

He can say whatever he wants about Bono and U2, I don't give a shit.

That said, he is a psuedo-intellectual hack, listen to any of his spoken word diatribes, it's utter garbage. He has a wit but it sure is lame.

But I do like some of his music, he can't sing, but some of it rocks.
And he was in Heat and got his ass whipped by Deniro, and that was cool as well.

Actually when he played Woodstock 94 he was the first act on stage and it was awesome. But he was just rocking, he didn't feel the need to share his so-called wisdom with the audience.

u2popmofo said:

I obviously understand that this is a U2 forum and most people here have no interest or knowledge in the "hardcore" genre, but at the same time it should only be expected that someone from the "hardcore" genre would also not have much interest in U2 or the type of music they play.

I'm really not sticking up for Henry Rollins, because a lot of what he's said has been somewhat ignorant and upset me in the past also. That being said, I can and do completely respect him for the work and tremendous amount of influence he has had in his own realm of music. :up:

You're totally right about 'hardcore' fans not really caring about U2 who are really more pop now than anything, but then again... having close ties with a lot of people who listen to metal, both younger and older, the younger crowd seems to be obsessed with specific microgenres (ie, grindcore being superior to noisecore, even though they sound fundementally the same to me... but my familiarity with them ios not exactly in-depth, so, you know), and the older... well... the older are a mixed bag and I won't try to explain it because there would be no point in doing so here. But yeah, you're right. I'm going to say about Rollins what I always tell people about Danzig, something you may be able to appreciate judging based only on your icon -- while I can appreciate that musically they've done a lot of things right, been influential within their genres, that doesn't mean they've earned my respect as people... especially given Rollins ignorant and sometimes biggoted attitudes, or Danzig's cripplingly large ego. I don't care if he's Rollins, or Danzig, or what Black Flag and/or the Misfits/Danzig have done if they're assholes. I'll happily listen to the misfits, for example, but while I will give credit to Danzig for his success, I still don't like him as a person even though I like his music, I think he's horrible. Maybe if I got to know him personally it'd be different, but from the way he presents himself (and it doesn't seem to me like he's just putting on an act/persona) he's just not a person I like.

If it were a Black Flag unappreciation thread, I'd have given a much different response than my initial one. But that's the thing, since its a Rollins unappreciation thread, I stand by my essential 'he can go fuck himself'. I just cannot stand the man or anything he says.

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:

I'll happily listen to the misfits, for example, but while I will give credit to Danzig for his success, I still don't like him as a person even though I like his music, I think he's horrible.

I totally know what you mean, I feel the exact same way about Oasis. Great post. :up:

About Fugazi, I wont argue with you there. But then again, most circles consider them art-punk, post-hardcore, indie rock, and even sometimes the dreaded "emo". I believe Minor Threat would be a more accurate contemporary (and I also respect/like them far more than Black Flag, but that's a completely different topic.....) :wink:

I guess my issue with Henry Rollins is he is such a hypocrite. He's all "more punk than thou" and acts like he's too good for the mainstream music scene, yet he would probably appear at the opening of a car wash if it would give him more publicity. Yeah, Henry, appearing on every single VH1 pop culture countdown is sooooo punk. :rolleyes:

I don't know. I never heard what he said about U2, but I've seen plenty of him on TV and heard plenty of his music on the radio. I've always thought that guy was an asshole, and I've always thought "hardcore" music is shit.

I like some of his music. But, I want to point out one thing that might come to comfort. I read an online interview a long time ago with Henry. The interviewer asked Henry about Bono and Henry responded that he might not like the music, but he likes Bono messages about Africa and how it needs help.

"I hate this guy's music, but I like the idea of absolving Third World debt, because otherwise these people are going to die. So if he's using all that rock-star power, well, right on."

"I have to think his heart's in the right place. I think he's a boring singer, but I don't think he's a bad man."

^cool ... ive never heard/read him say a good word about u2&co.. at least he recognizes that bono's "heart's in the "right place" ... henry rollins never really pissed me off w/ his comments...i actually do agree with a lot of his other comments regarding other artists (i.e. pj harvey, i forget the other ones he's praised) ...its ppl who question bono's intentions re: his motives in fighting for various causes that get me all :huh:

My Boy Al Pacino beat him down in "Heat" :rockon:

I honestly could care less about the man, a couple years ago I would have gotten mad at anyone who said anything about u2. Now, it's just an opinion and I could care less.

My problem with him is that he is a hater, he seems to go out of his way to bring down u2. If you don't like a band, more power to you.

But going out of your way to hate on bands just shows a bit of jealousy to me.

In my top 10.

No, Pacino was the cop and he was chasing down Rollins who was a snitch and lunged at his partner.

Rat Bastard :wink:

Back
Top Bottom