Help needed - who knows this song ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacobus

Refugee
i got a music sampler, but unfortunately no performers were listed on the cover. so i need to know which artist does sing the following lyrics. the song starts with these words:

"love instead of money that's your motivation in 1955 driving a schoolbus in alabama watching for our children and pray for civil rights. thank you dorothee..."

what is the song title and who (its a man) sings it. i already did some google search but received no results...

thanks for any help!

is there really no one out there who could associate these lyrics to a song and singer?

"love instead of money that's your motivation in 1955 driving a schoolbus in alabama watching for our children and pray for civil rights. thank you dorothee..."

thanks for any suggestions!

Is it a sampler from a record label? If so, look up the label name. I know some small labels (like Heyday) put out samplers with some artists that aren't signed to them (or anyone), but they would know who the artist is and perhaps help you get in touch.

@indra: no its a private sampler with absolutely no information. its only the disc. thanks for your help.

The lyrics sound like they're about the great civil rights heroine, Dorothy Height. I don't know of any songs about her, but she's been the subject of a couple documentaries, as well as the guest of honor at MANY African-American cultural and political events; so perhaps this was a song commissioned for one of those occasions.

The organization she's most strongly associated with is the National Council of Negro Women (ncnw.org), so if you're unable to discover anything else on your own, you could try emailing them with the lyrics and seeing if they recognize them. Not the sort of query they're used to handling, I'm sure, but if you love the song and can't find any other leads, why not give it a shot?

@yolland: thats great info thanks alot! Dorothy Height (i couldn't understand the 2nd name but Height makes sense) think is the correct name that is sung in that unknown song.

@Popmartijan: as i said somebody gave me the 'naked' cd with absolutely no information on it and now i am trying to find out the song titles and the artists for a cd-cover and this one is the only unsolved riddle.

btw it is a great experience to identify some unknown and unheard songs only by listening to the lyric and than do some internet(google)-(re)search. most of the songs are melancholic tunes.

the tracklisting:
1 Happier Man by Sophie Zelmani
2 Leaving The Scene Of A Heartbreak by David Munyon
3 Thunder Road Original by Bruce Springsteen
4 Wasn't Born To Follow by The Byrds
5 The Ghost Of Tom Joad by Bruce Springsteen
6 The Trials Of Harrison Hayes by Willard Grant Conspiracy
7 Dorothy Height by ???
8 The Days Of Pearly Spencer by David McWilliams
9(I'll Love You) Till The End Of The World by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds (UTEOTW Original Soundtrack)
10 Winter by Ringsgwandl (Bavarian Artist)
11 Buenos Tardes Amigos by Ween
12 Junimond by Rio Reiser (german artist)
13 Poet Wind by David Munyon
14 Viva la Musica by Ray Barretto

Back
Top Bottom