Help me update my netflix queue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ya know, maybe running out of movies isn't such a bad thing. i can finally start reading all those books that have been collecting dust. some sexy people sent me books and i've only read the first couple of pages in each one.

Last edited:
Breach is good but I think there are guns in it

Have you ever seen Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants? Real Women Have Curves?

It's a sad commentary that it's tough to think of movies without guns in them :|

If not having movies without guns means watching Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, I think I might be all for World War III.

But all kidding aside, violence has always been a major part of motion pictures, from the outset, aside from most comedies and the like.

And it's not like alll films these days focus on violence. Most dramas and action movies do though, but that's just the nature of the drama. I mean, a film like American Beauty is one of the most breathtaking perspectives of the human condition I've ever seen, and there are guns in it. Truth be told, guns and violence are an intergral aspect of umanity in the 20th century.

thats what has surprised me the most. movies which aren't even considered violent can have a gun in them nowadays. and then theres not just guns that shoot bullets...but lasers, etc. as well. some of the stuff i enjoyed as a kid i'm reluctant to watch again.

P-T-S can kiss my A-S-S.

p.s. britt, i saw you called, but i'm at work. i'm off tomorrow, so i can call in the afternoon.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I just was inspired to rejoin Netflix thanks to this thread. :shifty:

and if you're a facebook junkie, you can post your queue on facebook for everyone to see!

Well I didn't think this was for critiquing peoples' suggestions, I was just trying to help her out. It's easy to be philosophical about violence, it's a different story altogether when you're been through what she's been through.

I think reading is a good idea, it's calming too-well it is for me.

martha said:
Breach is really good, and I don't think there are guns in it.

Except for that bit in the woods :yikes:

The Queen, Night at the Museum, Taladega Nights, Music &Lyrics was kinda cute, Stranger than Fiction

I still vote tv series :wink:

No harm meant. That was just a joke. And I understand what you're saying, but it is what it is.

Violence and film almost goes hand in hand. The gun is possibly the most important symbol for film too. It is the quintessential method of creating a villain, and creating drama, and creating a threat, etc. It also makes it easy for people to root for a hero. Film allows us that capacity to vicariously dish out justice. We love to see the good guys shoot up the bad guys, in situations that just don't occur that frequently, if at all, in real life.

Also, the gun is inherently tied into the evolution of the art of filmmaking. The Russian war propaganda films of the first part of the 20th century were critical to the advent of modern cinema as an art.

But, I'm getting carried away. I'm just pointing out, that it's not really a "sad commentary" that guns are so prevalent in film; what's more a sad commentary is the state of the quality of film these days that is embraced by the mass public.

If you like politics, get "The War Room." It's a behind-the-scenes documentary about the '92 Clinton campaign, and it is AWESOME. Reality-TV style. You get to see Bill Clinton sitting around in his bathrobe, eating Cheerios, reading the Sports page, and strategizing about how to beat Bush.

It won a bunch of awards for Best Documentary for that year, too. Regardless of which party you support, it'll get you fired up for 2008.

unico said:
Hey friends!

My queue is running low, and I need to update it soon but I have no idea what to add to it. I don't go to the movies regularly, nor do I watch tv regularly, so I've missed out on some stuff that you'd think everyone has seen by now. Any recommendations?

sidenote: I know this sounds weird...but at the moment I get a really bad reaction from even the sight of a gun, so I'm trying to avoid any movies that may have guns (even if they don't shoot.)

Thanks in advance!
The 5 people you meet in heaven! It was really good. I didn't expect that. It does have guns though...there is a war scene. Sorry:(

martha said:
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was pretty good. :angry:

I love the Sisterhood books - Ann Brashares does a great job making the characters multi-dimensional, and gives them well-done, progressively-adult storylines as the books progress. I adored the movie and would love if they did more.

I watched Curse of the Golden Flower last night. Melodramatic and obscenely beautiful. Worth seeing.

The Holiday, Marie Antoinette, Pursuit of Happyness were good movies, imo.

I liked Real Women have curves so much that I saw it twice in 2 days.

And I still haven't seen Sisterhood yet but now I want to see it.

I'll third the rec for Real Women Have Curves.

If you want a good foreign film with some steamy sex, there's alwasy Y Tu Mama Tambien. :drool:

Or, for that matter, how about Talk To Her or All About My Mother? Volver was excellent as well, but there's a big scene of violence that's crucial to the plot. No guns, though, as far as I can remember.

Movies that I recently watched on Netflix and rated 5 stars:

Inside Man
Blood Diamond
The Insider
L.A. Confidential
Freeway
The Devil Wears Prada
Memento
Love Actually

All of these are excellent movies and definitely worth the watch.

Yeahhhh, but she's trying to avoid stuff with guns.

So uh ... Devil Wears Prada and Love, Actually. :wink:

I love Love, Actually. Silly but fun and charming.

Ok, here are some movies that I really liked that do not have any guns (that i remember):

50 First Dates
40 Year Old Virgin
In Her Shoes
Spanglish
Click
Hitch
The Notebook
In Good Company
Stranger Than Fiction
The House of Sand and Fog

Lancemc said:
I watched Curse of the Golden Flower last night. Melodramatic and obscenely beautiful. Worth seeing.

Lance

I guessed you missed the thread in here

where unico's good friend was the first gun murder victim at Virginia Tech

where she is still a student

I would not recommend Curse, no guns, but hundreds of bloody killings

We watched a film called "Moolaade" during a Francophone film festival on campus last year. It is set in W. Africa (could be Mali, Senegal, or Guinea) and revolves around life in a small village and specifically deals with the topic of female circumcision. While that may not sound like a "fun" topic for a movie (and it's not), the film itself is really quite inspiring and deals with the topic and the characters in a very believable way. I didn't really want to see the film going in, but I was very glad that I did. The director Ousmane Sembene (from Senegal) really captures a lot of the social dynamics in West African village communities particularly the changing realities between men and women, between old ways and new ways, between tradition and technology. Indeed there was quite a lot of humor interwoven into the dialogue, which surprised me. Oh and the dialogue was all in Bambara (with English subtitles) which really made me homesick. I would definitely recommend this film. :up:

Back
Top Bottom