Help me get my Free IPod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvis Presley

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
All, if you didnt know me you would think this was mindless spam. But, you do know me, and you know i would not stoop to that level, i think you know that.

Anyway, have you heard about the freeipods deal? You sign up for one of thier promo deals and refer five others and they send you a free i-pod.

Sounds like a scam right? Well, i thought it was until a co-worker did it and received his ipod for free. So, im in. I got my account going by subscribing to BMG and getting the 7 CDs for the price of 1 deal. Which is a good deal anyway, (it would be better if they had anything to choose from) and now i just need five referrals. Once you start, you have to get 5 as well. I trust that this thread wont be seen as spam and allowed to survive.
Here is the link to my referral page.

http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=7894576

Also, heres an article about the offer....
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,64614,00.html?tw=wn_2culthead
Unless you're extremely gullible, the promise of getting a free iPod from FreeiPods.com looks extremely dubious.

But surprisingly, the site appears to be legitimate. The program almost certainly isn't a dodgy pyramid scheme; it's a new form of online marketing supported by companies like eBay, AOL and Columbia House.
Wireless Hot Spot Directory
Search for Wi-Fi hot spots near you:
* Story Tools
[Print story] [E-mail story]
* Story Images

Click thumbnails for full-size image:
Kevin and John of FreeiPodandFlatScreens.com celebrate getting their iPods. 'This site is in no way affiliated with the Gratis network, Apple, or any electronics companies,' they claim. 'We just help people get free stuff.'
* See also

* Real Bites Apple on Downloads
* Net Publishing Made Profitable
* Mac Keeps Lead on Linux
* Timid Tokyoites Delay IPod Frenzy
* Join the Cult of Mac

* Today's Top 5 Stories

* Cleaning Up After Ourselves
* Microsoft Flexes Music Muscle
* Fans Keep Newton in Motion
* Slice of Heaven in the Desert
* Bold New World for Bald Mice
* Wired News RSS Feeds

Tech Jobs Partner
Today's the Day.

And while lots of happy customers are popping up all over the internet brandishing new iPods, analysts are skeptical of the economics.

Here's how it works: FreeiPods.com promises an iPod or a $250 gift certificate to anyone who signs up for various online promotions and persuades five other people to participate.

Subscribers are given a choice of 10 different offers, including a 45-day trial of AOL and a two-week trial of Ancestry.com's genealogy service. Typically, the offers are free and easily canceled.

Once the trials are over -- for both the main subscriber and the referrals -- the free iPod is dispatched.

"Of course I was skeptical, but I didn't see any harm in trying," said Collin Grady, 22, from Salem, Oregon, who received his free iPod earlier this month and wrote about it on his blog.

"They never once asked for a credit card number and I didn't have to pay shipping," he said. "I just told them where to send it.... All in all, a very painless process."

Indeed, some customers are so delighted that they've set up affiliate websites, called "conga lines," to persuade others the program isn't a swindle.

"So many people on the web think FreeiPods.com is a scam; I just wanted to prove them wrong," said John Sauer, a 19-year-old student at Boston's Berklee College of Music, who runs Free iPods and FlatScreens .com.

Another site, 17-year-old Tyler Derheim's FreeiPodGuide, features pictures of the delivery truck outside his house, his receipt and, of course, his new iPod.

FreeiPods is one of several websites run by Gratis Internet, a Washington, D.C., "customer acquisition" company owned by Peter Martin and Rob Jewell.

"I can definitely understand the skepticism," said Martin. "A lot of people believe there's no free lunch, but it's definitely not a scam. It's 100 percent legitimate. We're shipping (iPods) every day."

In a joint interview, Martin and Jewell denied the site is a pyramid scheme, like the myriad matrix schemes advertised on eBay, which also promise free iPods.

Instead, they explained, Gratis Internet is paid a bounty for sending potential customers to sites like AOL, eBay or RealNetworks.

"We're a marketing firm," said Jewell. "We're sending these people to our advertisers. We cringe when we hear 'pyramid' or 'scheme.' We're more closely associated with viral marketing, with the subservient chicken, than Amway."

They declined to specify the bounty, and said the firm doesn't deal directly with the companies involved. Rather, Gratis Internet is commissioned by third-party marketing agencies, such as San Francisco's Adteractive.

For the last four years, Gratis Internet has operated customer-acquisition programs through FreeCDs.com, FreeDVDs.com, FreeVideoGames.com and FreeCondoms.com.

The company has sent out more than $3 million worth of free merchandise, Martin said, including 5 million to 6 million condoms.

Since the launch of FreeiPods.com in June, the site has dispatched more than 2,500 iPods, Martin said, worth more than $1 million.

But in the last few weeks traffic has exploded. Martin claimed nearly 1 million people have recently enrolled in the program, though he said the majority are using phony names and/or addresses.

Other threads of this nature have already been closed, so it wouldn't be fair to leave yours open. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom