have we ever had a thread about...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
please recommend me something as good as every me, every you. i heard a new song the other day on the radio which might not really be new. i dont know the name of it or who sings it for sure but i swear it was placebo. same voice. too distinctive to be anyone else.

my favourite would be 'special k'...i think it's just as good as 'every you every me'

the only placebo thing i've heard that i didn't like was probably their horrific cover of the smiths' 'bigmouth strikes again' though

Hey, I remember hearing one of their songs and loving it! Sorry, can't remember the name at the moment. I'll go check and see if I can find out anything...

*cue theme from "Miami Vice"*

EDIT: Err...nvm. It was a song called "Narcotic" by Liquido.
I think I'll crawl back into my hole, now...

*cue theme from "Grumpier Old Men"*

:der:

Last edited:
I listen to more of them last night. I really like them.

There current US tour schedule sucks...they are avoiding the northern/middle of the US (I think the closest they came might have been Toronto...but no Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit, St. Lois, etc. etc. etc.). :down:

Placebo actually took their time to come to Singapore once, unfortunately that was in 1997 and I hadn't even heard of them then. Plus I think they played a 21+ show.

Quite a year though, afterwards they had Ash and Primal Scream come over. We never get gigs like that anymore...(read journal for latest Singapore gig info)

zoney! said:
Heartland is a big fan...going to see them this week in Dallas.

Indeed! :combust:

About their tour dates, earlier in spring of 2003, I think it was, they played about ten shows in the U.S. All of these shows were in huge cities like NYC, etc. I think that this time they're trying to swing around to some of the smaller major cities (Dallas, Phoenix, etc.) I'm not sure about that, though--I'd have to look at the tour schedule to be sure--but that's the theory I've got for now. :)

I'm excited that more and more people at interference seem to be getting into Placebo. They've got a certain je ne sais quois, and I can't get enough of them. If anyone wants recommendations, I'm happy to give a few. I think I told mofo to buy Sleeping With Ghosts, their newest album, and work his way backward to their older albums if he liked them.

I could go on and on and on...so I'd better stop now. :eek:

yertle-the-turtle said:

Quite a year though, afterwards they had Ash and Primal Scream come over. We never get gigs like that anymore...(read journal for latest Singapore gig info)

When I form the Weatherkens(TM), we'll come to Singapore.

I'm back from the Placebo show in Dallas. Fucking incredible show. I'll post a review/setlist in my journal.

I had to dig around to find this old thread!

Placebo's live DVD, Soulmates Never Die, was released in the U.S. yesterday. (It's been out elsewhere for a while.) I finally got my hands on a copy this afternoon. I'm really, really, really looking forward to watching it tonight. :up:

Here's the tracklisting for those interested. Some of the song titles are listed weirdly or abbreviated from what they are on the albums.

Bullet Proof [Bulletproof Cupid?]
Allergic (To Thoughts of Mother Earth)
Every You Every Me
Bionic :heart:
Protege Moi
Plasticine
The Bitter End
Soulmates [Sleeping With Ghosts?]
Black-Eyed
I'll Be Yours
Special Needs
English Summer Rain
Without You I'm Nothing
This Picture
Special K
Taste in Men
Slave to the Wage
Peeping Tom
Pure Morning
Centrefolds
Where Is My Mind? (with Frank Black)

Strong setlist, I think. It's a lot like the one I saw in Dallas, if I remember correctly. The first four songs alone are outstanding live.

Will be back to this thread after I watch it. :drool:

So I watched the DVD last night, and I'm already wanting to see it again! If you like Placebo, you'll like the DVD, it's as simple as that. Or maybe if you don't know much about Placebo, this could convert you. A few random remarks:

--Protege Moi is a French version of Protect Me From What I Want :drool:

--The editing of the concert footage was different from other concert DVDs I've seen. A lot of different techniques are used--grainy shots, black and white, color, weird camera angles, different speeds. It reminded me a lot of the way the video for "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails was edited. One of the coolest techniques to me was when they'd show Brian walk up to the mike in slow motion and then put it to normal speed when he began to sing.

--The crowd is rad and enthusiastic throughout. The French love them some Placebo! And while I can appreciate the coolness of being part of such a huge show, I now feel really lucky to have seen them so close up in such a small venue.

--The documentary of the tour is a fun extra. Placebo seems a lot less "business" than, say, U2, which makes for good times. :up: They also show some footage of the Eagles of Death Metal. :up:

--Favorite songs of the performance for me were Allergic, The Bitter End, Black-Eyed, Without You I'm Nothing, Peeping Tom, Pure Morning, and Centrefolds. I'm sure this will change every time I watch it, though.

--The sound quality was excellent. Better than a lot of other concert DVDs or videos I've watched.

--And for those who are wondering, Brian's eye make-up is fantastic throughout. :wink:

Definitely worth $15.99 for Placebo fans. And mofo, I'm sorry you couldn't find it in SLC or Provo. But no worries. You can always watch it at my house. :)

HeartlandGirl said:
Definitely worth $15.99 for Placebo fans. And mofo, I'm sorry you couldn't find it in SLC or Provo. But no worries. You can always watch it at my house. :)

Duely noted. :up:

PS - No, I wont wear make up while I watch it with you.

Well, I took HeartlandGirl up on the offer and watched the DVD at her place last night. It was quite good. I enjoyed every single song, and they all sounded great live. Definitely a great concert DVD to get if you're a fan or interested in Placebo!!! I liked how rocking 'Sleeping With Ghosts' was. I also liked how excited the whole crowd got when they played 'Special K' (I cant blame them for getting that excited, I was pretty pumped too!!)

PS - Yes, the French do love Placebo, but they sure cant sing along to the lyrics properly.....who am I to talk??

Agreed, zoney! :yes:

Mofo, I'm glad you enjoyed the DVD. Watching it this last time, I was struck by how tightly Placebo plays together. Not a wrong note or missed lyric or anything for the whole show, and they still manage to look like they're enjoying themselves. Quite frankly, I'm tempted to watch it again, I think just because I love hearing their songs live. :heart:

Back
Top Bottom