Have "Fuck you" bracelets reached your school or town?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Southpark kicks ass but I dont think I'd let a 9 yr old watch it. I've seen almost every episode and its definatly a show for adults. Just because they're 'cartoons' doesnt mean its for kids.

I know I can argue this all day and night but if Southpark was appropriate for little kids, it would be on network TV at 6:30 in the evening like King of the Hill. There IS a reason its on late at night.

Its funny...before I had kids of my own, I thought it was really lame when people sheltered their kids and didn't let them watch certain things on TV or let them see R rated movies...it all changes when you have your own.

Just as an example...I have a friend who let her 2 year old daughter watch everything she watched on TV with the rationale that "she doesn't understand so what's the harm." That was until the day she told a man at the mall "up your's buddy."

The world is fast enough...why encourage kids to grow up any faster than they already do?

With South Park it wouldn't bother me so much to have my kids (if I had any) hear the swearing and see Kenny die all the time, but there is some sexual content on that show that is not even close to appropriate for young kids to be watching. Remember the episode where Mr. Slave is introduced and Mr. Garrison puts a hampster in his ass!?!?! I don't think I'd want to have to explain to a nine year old why someone would do something like that. Don't get me wrong, I love Southpark, but some things are meant for adults only.

South Park is a show that makes me spit water out my nose every time I stay up late enough to watch it. It's a hilarious show.

But it is completely inappropriate for young children. Knowing "what gay is and where babies come from" is part of a child's sexual education when it's handled with the right amount of information at the right time. Hearing the vulgar, dirty talk about sex on TV that's meant for adults isn't something a 9 year old has the context or maturity to understand. There's no reason to rush to sexualize young children. I think parents who allow their children to be exposed to that kind of programming are doing a serious disservice to their children. And I'll say that to their faces and yours.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, or that anyone should use Southpark as an example of sex ed. But the kinds of kids who watch that show did not learn anything new there. I'm not talking about some goody goody sheltered churchy kid getting shocked and disturbed learning about sex that way. It is one of those things you might not like but it doesn't change the way things are. So it is best to go ahead and deal with it instead of hiding from it.

Last edited:
Tabby said:
I think some of you underestimate the carnal knowledge of kids these days. Don't think of the stereotypical little kid, or yourself as a kid. I have not met a little kid in the last 10 years who didn't know what gay was, or where babies come from. It isn't even shocking anymore to hear kids blurt things out. Like it or not it's the way of the world. If a kid really hasn't heard of the things on Southpark, they wouldn't even pick up on what's going on anyway.

If any of you know kids who AREN'T like this, tell me where you live and I'll move there. While cleaning out my car in my driveway, I hear kids call each other names and tell each other to do things that I probably shouldn't type here. It's a degenerate society and denial and rejection aren't going to make it go away.

It reminds me of two other controversial issues- abortion and drugs. I'm against abortion, and I don't like drug abuse, but the reason abortion is legal and drugs are legal in some places and Canada gives out free clean needles is because you can't just make people stop doing stuff just because you disapprove of it. So since you can't, it's better that they do it the safe and clean way. That's the rationale for those things. You cannot put blinders on kids until they reach 13. It's NOT going to happen. Not only the world, but cable TV, movies and the internet make that impossible unless you want to keep your kid in the house and not let him hang around with other kids. So my rant is, okay so it's a bad thing, but hiding from it is not the answer.

Last edited:
Leeloo said:

If any of you know kids who AREN'T like this, tell me where you live and I'll move there. While cleaning out my car in my driveway, I hear kids call each other names and tell each other to do things that I probably shouldn't type here. It's a degenerate society and denial and rejection aren't going to make it go away.

Those kids are like that due to the poor parenting we're talking about here! And there's no reason to roll over and accept that it has to be like that. I know plenty of children who don't behave like punks. Calling each other childish names and behaving like "degenerates" are two different things. Allowing your children to learn about sex from TV programs because everyone else is doing it is one hell of a poor excuse for a parent.

Martha aren't you a teacher? That could be it. You're the one person a kid isn't likely to be stupid enough to cuss in front of. Doesn't mean they don't know how and don't do it on their own time.

That's not it.

There are actually children who are well behaved, civilized people. I can tell which kids in my class have overly permissive parents and which ones are being raised with limits and discipline. I can tell this without hearing them swear once.

bonosgirl84 said:
martha's right. it's all in the parenting. :up:

:yes: :up:

Kids NEED limits and despite what they might lead you to believe, they actually feel more secure when you tell them they can't do certain things.

Wow this thread sure did change topics! ;)

I think I can speak from a perspective no one else here can, as the parent of teenagers. Teenagers who have been watching Southpark since elementary school. Sure it's much worse than it was back then, but it doesn't matter now since they are older.

When my son was 9 in the 4th grade, he was disturbed to find out things no 9 year old should. Not from Southpark, but from 'family life' at school. They described in great unnecessary detail (for fourth graders) sex, homosexuality, and masturbation. These things do need to be discussed, but not at 9.

Yes, I know the first thing you're thinking- my daughter wears fuck you bracelets. Or wore, she doesn't any more. But I she is so shy and embarrassed about boys, she won't even answer the door if one comes to the door. She ran when one hugged her at school. I would guarantee she isnt' doing anything sexual.

I am very overprotective of my kids. They aren't allowed to roam the streets or go certain places most kids are. I worry all the time. I never even worked when they were little because I didn't trust any babysitters. I know where they are and with who at all times. We are very, very close. When parents try to be too strict, kids don't feel they can tell you their problems. You become distant. That leads to kids looking elsewhere for answers to their questions, or for advice.

My parents were so prudish and embarrassed over s-e-x that you'd be shocked they ever had any kids. I wanted to be more open with my kids, but they were too embarrassed! They cover their ears and sing when I tried to tell them things I thought they should know. Somehow, they all knew everything, and said all kids did. But, knowing and doing are two different things. Sometimes knowing is better than finding out by doing. Just because you know or have heard it doesn't mean you are a bad kid and your parents stink and you're going to go run do everything you see on tv.

My kids not only watched Southpark but Beavis and Butthead too. All they did was laugh. They are honestly, not just bragging here, the best kids I know. Some of the holier than thou parents who whipped their kids for saying damn and forbid those shows have kids who are shoplifting, having sex, and taking drugs. Many have been expelled from school. My kids are guilty of none of these things .How do I know? They are rarely with anyone other than me, except at school, unless it's a friend I know and know the parents well.

Cuss words are just words. Yes my kids say some. So do my husband and I. I don't think this makes you a bad or ill bred person, as long as you are tactful and smart enough to know when and when not to use them. Like when you come to a forum, you don't type fuck unless you know you've seen it before and you know it's accepted. Same with people and places. My kids know there are 'cool' people and 'touchy' people and you have to find out which type someone is. Sooner or later, cussers will cuss in front of you, and you know it's okay, but never do it first. I have elderly relatives, and the kids have teachers who would swear my kids didn't know any. You have to think first. When I say words, I mean words used as exclaimations, not vulgar, graphic descriptions or comments.

More than words are actions. I have seen very destructive, cruel, evil children who were drug to church 3 times a week and spanked for saying damn. Strain a gnat and swallow a camel. It's all in the relationship between the parents and the child, and the closer it is, and the more trust there is, the better it will be. I'm proud of my Southpark watchers, and I have nothing to be ashamed of.

One more thing. When you're a kid, you think of things in a different way. When I was little, I remember seeing Flip Wilson change to a dress and become Geraldine. I never thought, he's gay, I thought it was funny he looked like a lady! When I heard people say Elvis had to be shown on TV only from the waist up because of his dancing, I thought his dancing must have been rotten! If I were a kid and saw the gerbil up the butt thing on Southpark, it would never enter my mind to think anything sexual about it. I'd have thought it was a stick it up your butt where the sun don't shine type of thing and laughed. Sometimes dirty minds get worked up and worried over things that sail right over heads of little kids with no damage. It's like the Bono F word thing. People make too big an issue over things. If you know your kid, and they know you, you don't have nearly as much to fear as people who have scared their kids away with too much harsh discipline (I'm not talking about common sense safety stuff) I have seen this both in my growing up years and my kids.' It's substance, not just a set list of rules that makes the difference with kids.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom