Has Michael Jackson's inescapable weirdness changed the way you listen to his music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
If you never liked MJ's music to begin with, you probably still don't like it. But if you ever liked or even loved his music, here's the question: Has his inescapable weirdness and eternal state of messed-up-ness effected the way you listen to his music? Or even your ability to listen to his music at all? Does it depend on the album/song? Or can you listen/not listen to any of it? I'm interested in seeing how MJ's ever-so-public and ever-so-disturbing problems have effected the way people listen to his music.

I can still listen to Dangerous like it's 1992. I lost interest after the bloated and egotistic HIStory and haven't heard anything since... well, with the exception of Blood On The Dance Floor and Ghosts. But I don't think that had anything to do with his child molestation charges or his general weirdness.

Zootlesque said:
I can still listen to Dangerous like it's 1992. I lost interest after the bloated and egotistic HIStory and haven't heard anything since... well, with the exception of Blood On The Dance Floor and Ghosts. But I don't think that had anything to do with his child molestation charges or his general weirdness.

What about the older stuff - Thriller and Bad?

So you haven't heard his most recent record from three years ago entitled 'Invincible'? It's not very good. There were a few good tracks on History's disc of new material, but Dangerous was really his last great effort.

Oh yeah, I love Thriller, Bad and Dangerous! Haven't heard much of Off The Wall except for the 2 big hits. As for Invincible... geez! what a title! :rolleyes: I saw that first video with Chris Rock I think and that song sucked so bad that I did not even bother with anything else from the album.

Okay, so he was the shiznit in the 80s and even the early 90s. But I guess all the 'king of pop' stuff went to his head.

It's the new generation gap. If you can remember when Michael Jackson was actually famous for being a pop star and not just famous for being famous and weird, line up over here. If you can't, line up over there.

The only music I've ever listened to from Michael Jackson was indeed his Thriller album ... absolutely MAGNIFICENT album !! :up:
I would occasionally listen to Thriller even now, no matter what has happened ... but I don't care for any of his other music / albums !!

Oh, and: he's WHITE. He used to be BLACK.

THAT'S NOT NORMAL.

WHY ISN'T A BIGGER DEAL MADE OF THIS?

I don't actually own any of his albums-too young when he was big in the 80s and early 90s for one thing, and for another, I've just never been all that into a great deal of his music to begin with, personally. Just like the occasional song here and there. But I can still listen to those few songs I like without automatically thinking of the strange stuff Michael's been through over the years (heh, and one of his songs, whenever I hear it now, makes me think of a version an artist I do like did, so...:D).

Angela

typhoon said:
Oh, and: he's WHITE. He used to be BLACK.

THAT'S NOT NORMAL.

WHY ISN'T A BIGGER DEAL MADE OF THIS?

Because not everyone gives a flying fuck what colour someone is.
:rolleyes:

What's happened to him in recent years has no influence at all beyond me wishing he'd never lost his hold on himself. The Thriller and Bad eras were incredible and I am a rather definite fan of it. Daggy, I know :wink: But there you have it. I find it impossible to not listen to songs like Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, Thriller, any of them, and not be blown away by how utterly perfect he had it all mastered. The man is a fucking genius. He might be a plethora of other things, but his musical genius carries on.

Angela Harlem said:

The sad thing is it appears that Michael Jackson gives a flying fuck what colour he is.

Angela Harlem said:
It's not the color so much as the BIZARRE, UNEXPLAINED TRANSITION that's unusual. Keep your politically correct rolleyes smilies to yourself. If Bono turned up black tomorrow, you'd find it a little odd too (his work in Africa notwithstanding).

typhoon said:

It's not the color so much as the BIZARRE, UNEXPLAINED TRANSITION that's unusual. Keep your politically correct rolleyes smilies to yourself. If Bono turned up black tomorrow, you'd find it a little odd too (his work in Africa notwithstanding).

Yeah, I agree. There wasn't even anything politically incorrect in your original post. :huh:

Michael Jackson was incredible in some of his music and I can still listen to the songs I liked, watch the videos I liked. Sometimes you just have to separate the artist from the art. That being said, he is one strange mother.

Layton said:

I'd keep that a secret if I were you.

Hey man! You have no idea how much of a nostalgia nut I am! The album came out when I was 13 and at the time, I thought it was the greatest album of all time. :wink:

I used to be able to listen to him Bad and beyond when the whiteness was soaking in, but not I can only tolerate everything Pre-Thriller (Including Thriller)

I'm not a pop fan by all means of the word (except the album:wink: ) but Thriller is the greatest Pop record of all time

Zootlesque said:

Hey man! You have no idea how much of a nostalgia nut I am! The album came out when I was 13 and at the time, I thought it was the greatest album of all time. :wink:

??? :lol:

Thank god Achtung baby came along and saved the day.

yimou said:

??? :lol:

Thank god Achtung baby came along and saved the day.

Yeah really! Those days I was listening to a lot more mainstream pop than rock n roll. I didn't hear all of Achtung until 1997. :reject:

typhoon said:

Nope. I meant it when I said I dont care what colour someone is. Bono could turn purple for all I really care.
Michael Jackson's change is most likely due to a combination of his surgeries, bleaching, and perhaps even a bit of the claimed vertiligo. Whatever caused it doesn't matter to me in the slightest. I dont care what colour he is now, nor what he was back then. If it is hard to believe that this could not matter in any way to someone, then you have issues, my friend.

Angela Harlem said:
I dont care what colour he is now, nor what he was back then. If it is hard to believe that this could not matter in any way to someone, then you have issues, my friend.

i don't think he has issues. michael has issues and that is partly why i care what color he's become...out of concern/ fascination for the mental state that brings such a change about, not because of the color itself.

I can't believe I'm arguing uphill that Michael Jackson is weird.

Who bloody well said he wasn't weird?

Jesus Christ.

Se7en, true that the change itself might incur come curiosity, but not because it actually matters. If typhoon doesn't really care, then good. I care even less about this ridiculous semantic argument than anyone's colour. How's that?
:sigh:

You have to admit that a purple Bono would be pretty cool, though.

Back
Top Bottom