Harry Potter - WARNING - READ ONLY IF FINISHED BOOK 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsp77

Refugee
THIS IS ONLY FOR THOSE WHO FINISHED BOOK 6, SO NO COMPLAINING OF SPOILERS.

Ok, so once again I loved the book. I noticed some complaining in the other thread that it is not as good. I disagree, while it may not have as much adventure or action until the very end, it has much more of an emotional impact than any of the other books. It is also a great set-up for the finale. I am just pissed that I probably have to wait 2 years to read the final one.

I am a little pissed about Dumbledore though. Not that he died exactly, but because I knew it would be him. Rowling said that a major character would die, and I (dumbass that I am) read the chapters titles at the beginning of the book and saw "Phoenix Lament" and was 95% sure it would be him. That will teach me not to read the chapter titles, but the Harry Potter ones had never given anything like this away before. I am surprised that it was Snape that did him in. Despite the chapter in the beginning, I still believed Snape was good, probably just because Dumbledore did.

Snape.

I loved it. Started it Saturday night and finished Sunday afternoon. It will be interesting to see what she does with the next one...

Interesting wizard note from the book...........

"And, in an eerie parallel Rowling could not have foreseen, the Kings Cross station where Harry catches the Hogwarts Express is the same station where the London bombers met and set out on their deadly mission on July 7."

carol
wizard2c
:|

So the future is written....you just need to foresee where it is.

I didn't think the book was bad, but I'd say it was the weakest of the six I've read so far. This is the equivalent to saying that certain U2 albums aren't as strong as others. We all have a least favorite U2 album - but when compared to other artists, that album shines. Same is true with this book. I feel it's a solid book, but the weakest of her "Potter" work to date.

I have no problem with limited action. All her books are that way, having a climactic finale. I fully expect the same in Book 7, with perhaps a final chapter to close things up.

Unlike you, I knew Dumbledore was doomed after reading Book 5. He readily was able to handle Riddle/Voldemort. That alone suggested that he had to be "removed" if we are to see the big battle between Potter and Voldemort. I was disappointed, however, in how she had him die. Seems a somewhat ignoble way for what is arguably the most powerful wizard alive to pass on - an apparent attack from one he trusted.

Of course, this leads to what may be the most interesting theory of them all - perhaps Dumbledore trusted Snape so much because he wanted and fully expected Snape to kill him when the time came. Maybe Dumbledore's pleas weren't for mercy or for Snape to help him, but rather for Snape to fulfill the "contract" he might have made with Dumbledore years earlier. Perhaps Dumbledore knew that in order for Voldemort to be defeated, he (Dumbledore) had to die. Perhaps Trelawney made another prediction that got to Dumbledore's ears.

So it leads to a whole array of interesting plots. Was Snape the apparent traiter he now appears to be? Or was this all pre-arranged by Dumbledore? Hmmm... :hmm:

"Seems a somewhat ignoble way for what is arguably the most powerful wizard alive to pass on - an apparent attack from one he trusted."

--------

As a wizard myself, I trust no-one. In fact I have a saying that stays with me and that is from the Lord of the Rings and it says:

"The elves find happiness when they trust in themselves"

It may sound selfish but I am the only one I trust, so I would agree with you....it does appear an ignoble way for a powerful wizard to disappear from the scene.......I'm sure there is another place and another time for wizards to be born once again....as time itself is endless.

Sorry for the rambling..............just my thoughts about the subject.

carol
wizard2c

I still think there's going to be a twist regarding snape's involvement in the death

I have wondered if snape had been put under the imperius curse, or maybe that there was polyjuice potion involved :hmm:

there's just something about it that doesn't seem right. Although I am sure that there's probably passages in the book that disprove anything like that.....I just really feel that somehow the whole snape thing will turn out to be not so straight forward...

I completely agree. The fact that Snape killed him so readily suggests something "fishy".

There's a line in the book stating how Snape's face suddenly "filled with rage" and then he performed the curse. Snape would never have such hatred for Dumbledore - I don't think it would be possible. However, Voldemort would. It's highly possible for polyjuice potion to be involved here. The "Death Eaters" used in throughout Book 4, so why not use it again in Book 6? Perhaps Voldemort disguised himself as Snape to infiltrate Hogwarts (a place he clearly loved). Voldemort would also easily be able to commit to making the "Unbreakable Bond" (or whatever it was called) with Draco's mother.

Or, as I was suggesting, perhaps Dumbledore already knew he was going to die, so he made a pact with Snape to kill him at a certain time or under certain circumstances. Dumbledore would readily sacrifice himself for the greater good.

Still, it's such an ignoble way for Dumbledore to leave the book series that I can't help but feeling that Dumbledor will make a "return" in some capacity. Maybe that sounds too Obi-Wan like, but there's something to that...

Guess I don't have to read the first 5 now. Phew!

My daughter just started the 6th. I haven't read any of them :reject:, but I have seen the movies, for whatever that's worth...

I am completely baffled w/ Snape doing the killing like the rest of you. I thought for sure that at the beginning, when it was suggested he was a death eater once again, that he was being a double-double agent and finding information for Dubledore. I don't think it was Voldemort himself doing the Imperius curse on Snape as someone else mentioned. Remember where Snape was running to the gate, he sad Voldemort had to kill Harry, not the death eater who attacked from behind.

Something is very strange here. :huh: As mentioned above, it seems quite possible that Doubledore was going to have Snape kill him at the right time. Maybe this would gain Voldemort's trust in Snape, and then he could give the Order of the Pheonix members info on the hecruxes or w/e the hell they were called.

I am quite convinced that Snape is still on the good side. If you recall, after Dumbledore died, McGonagle said that Dumbledore always had a reason for trusting Snape that he never told anyone. Dumbledore is obviously the smartest person in this book. There would be no reason for him to let a death eater teach at his school if he hadn't had the best reason in the world. I am gonna die waiting for the 7th one :(

Obviously, if snape were still on the order's side, he wouldn't have killed their most powerful member. Regardless, if he's still on the good side, no one's going to trust him and he's going straight for azkaban. Also, if dumbledore knew snape was going to kill him and that this was so harry could have the big showdown with voldermort, why would dumbledore have to be dead?? All he could do is help harry in killing volermort, and harry 's chances of finding all the remaining horcruxes is much smaller with no dumbledore to help. Finally, i highly doubt harry, ron, and hermione won't be going to hogwarts next year. They could use the extra defense against the dark arts instruction, and Mcgonnagle(excuse spelling) could help them in finding the horcruxes previously owned by either gryffindor(which could be the sword from chamber of secrets), or by ravenclaw.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

Speaking of Horcruxes, I think I know who left the phony Horcrux.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD...AT LEAST A HALF-BAKED THEORY...DO NOT READ THE REST OF THIS POST IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED IN BOOK SEVEN!

I believe that the one who left the bogus Horcrux is none other than Sirius' little brother, Regulus Black. The initials on the note are R. A. B. In book 5, one of the items they came across while cleaning the Black house was "a locket nobody could open". That's the real Horcrux; the real Locket of Slytherin. And Harry's going to have to hunt it down now, since it's probably in some wizard landfill somewhere...

Last edited:
The reason Snape did the killing is because he had to after he made the Unbreakable Vow and Malfoy couldn't do it. Whether Snape made the vow because he really was evil, or because he pitied the Malfoys, I am not 100% sure but I'd say it's because he really was working for Voldemort.

Re: POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

Sue DeNym said:

I believe that the one who left the bogus Horcrux is none other than Sirius' little brother, Regulus Black. The initials on the note are R. A. B. In book 5, one of the items they came across while cleaning the Black house was "a locket nobody could open". That's the real Horcrux; the real Locket of Slytherin. And Harry's going to have to hunt it down now, since it's probably in some wizard landfill somewhere...

Ahhh, I don't know why I didn't think of that. That's gotta be one of the horcruxes.

BTW, wtf was with the word "snogging"? Is that like the European word for making out? :wink: :huh:

Re: Re: POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

IrishDawg said:
BTW, wtf was with the word "snogging"? Is that like the European word for making out? :wink: :huh:

Yes. http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/s.htm

The link is to a dictionary of British slang. Worthwhile to peruse while reading HP. :)

I am so looking forward to Book 7. I'm sure Harry will return to Hogwarts, if only to get more training and the required NEWTS to be an Auror. Perhaps Prof. McGonagall will talk sense to him.

doctorwho said:
I didn't think the book was bad, but I'd say it was the weakest of the six I've read so far. This is the equivalent to saying that certain U2 albums aren't as strong as others. We all have a least favorite U2 album - but when compared to other artists, that album shines. Same is true with this book. I feel it's a solid book, but the weakest of her "Potter" work to date.

I have no problem with limited action. All her books are that way, having a climactic finale. I fully expect the same in Book 7, with perhaps a final chapter to close things up.

Unlike you, I knew Dumbledore was doomed after reading Book 5. He readily was able to handle Riddle/Voldemort. That alone suggested that he had to be "removed" if we are to see the big battle between Potter and Voldemort. I was disappointed, however, in how she had him die. Seems a somewhat ignoble way for what is arguably the most powerful wizard alive to pass on - an apparent attack from one he trusted.

Of course, this leads to what may be the most interesting theory of them all - perhaps Dumbledore trusted Snape so much because he wanted and fully expected Snape to kill him when the time came. Maybe Dumbledore's pleas weren't for mercy or for Snape to help him, but rather for Snape to fulfill the "contract" he might have made with Dumbledore years earlier. Perhaps Dumbledore knew that in order for Voldemort to be defeated, he (Dumbledore) had to die. Perhaps Trelawney made another prediction that got to Dumbledore's ears.

So it leads to a whole array of interesting plots. Was Snape the apparent traiter he now appears to be? Or was this all pre-arranged by Dumbledore? Hmmm... :hmm:

Well, I guess I should start out by saying that Dumbledore has always been my absolute favorite character, and although I predicted it (it also fits the classic hero's journey archetype for the mentor to die (see: LOTR; Lion, Witch & Wardrobe)), I was very upset to see it actually come to pass (and I agree, in such an ignoble way!). I also cling to (call it denial, I suppose) to some faint belief that like the mentor's in those two books, Dumbledore might not really be dead... :) *hopes desperately* (His death was just too easy, especially for one of the greatest wizards of the age).

Weakest or not, this is my favorite installment of the series... Yes, JK could have spent more time with the 'Half-Blood Prince' and the action is pretty much contained until the end - but I guess that's not a problem to me... Instead of action, I was sitting there mentally trying to work out all these questions the book was giving me, and I really enjoyed that. Plus, I loved the way this was written, and was extremely glad to see Harry the brat was left in Book 5.

To respond to the above, however: JK has already said that she's going to have a last chapter that kind of summarizes what happens to the characers...

I'm not sure if I agree with your theory that Dumbldore needed to die so Harry could tackle him - it is very clear that Dumbldore has no intentions of killing Voldemort himself - he knows Harry must do so. Knowing this, it's not exactly necessary for him to be booted.

As to your theory regarding Dumbledore & Snape, however - now, that's pretty interesting. It's a twist on something I myself have been pondering... I think there's something there between Dumbldore and himself - but I think his "death" (believe it or not, haha) was somehow prearranged like that - it would allow Snape to fulfill his vow he made to Malfoy (Malfoy would have failed, and Snape was obligated to assist) - and by doing so, all suspicion regarding his loyalty to "the Dark Side' has now been lifted. This would allow him to continue his "work" on the other side (assuming he was always a spy to begin with).

If all of this is false, and Snape is truly evil, and if Dumbledore was THAT stupid, I'd be dissapointed... I can't imagine Dumbledore being THAT blind... And in that case, I'd say Snape is worse that Voldemort... At least you know what's Voldemort's goals are; there is no question as to his intention.

Ok, all this speculation sounds quite dorky, and there's little else I'll ramble on about - but yeah, I'll stop. :)

I know what snogging is - but there's been a lot of 'shipper' usage - what does that mean??

It's not in the above dictionary - and I've heard it used a lot lately (Shippers hope this...Shippers want that...)

Re: POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

Sue DeNym said:
Speaking of Horcruxes, I think I know who left the phony Horcrux.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD...AT LEAST A HALF-BAKED THEORY...DO NOT READ THE REST OF THIS POST IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED IN BOOK SEVEN!

WOAH. Never even considered that!!! OOO!

This really prompts me that I need to get on and read this book and the one before it. I gave up on Harry Potter after book 4, for some reason :shrug:

I read it in 6 hours straight! I didn't like it as much as the fifth one. Dumbledore dying just pissed me off even though it makes sense. I wonder who's next to die- my guess is Ron or Hermione

Well what perplexes me the most...is why Rowland claims that Book 7 is the last in the series and Harry meets his destiny......why mention that all now....doesn't that spoil the whole scenario and why would Harry meet such an early demise after all his training and experience in battle. Doesn't make sense to me.

carol
wizard2c

Re: reply

wizard2c said:
Well what perplexes me the most...is why Rowland claims that Book 7 is the last in the series and Harry meets his destiny......why mention that all now....doesn't that spoil the whole scenario and why would Harry meet such an early demise after all his training and experience in battle. Doesn't make sense to me.

carol
wizard2c
Destiny isn't necesarily death.

Destiny can mean death......I believe she mentions that Harry's life ends..and the series would end. To me, it makes no sense as from what I read she hasn't started book 7 yet......and to me it's like ending something before it has even begun.

A better strategy would be just to start writing and see where the road leads instead of plotting a destination.

carol
wizard2c

Back
Top Bottom