Harry Potter - WARNING - READ ONLY IF FINISHED BOOK 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saracene said:
One theory I have, if Snape really did go back to the good over his remorse for what happened to Harry's parents, could it be that he had feelings for Lily, Harry's Mum? I know he called her a Mudblood in the memory Harry saw, but if you went by that memory alone Lily and James had as much chance of ending up together as snowball surviving in hell, yet they did eventually. And although Snape always says nothing but hateful things about Harry's father, did he ever badmouth Harry's mother? I know it's all probably far-fetched, but I just can't see why else his telling the prophecy would turn out to be the biggest regret of his life - provided that it really was, of course.

People have speculated that Snape may have had a thing for Lilly Potter, and when she was killed Snape blamed himself and left Voldy. Of course he was mean to her in the memory, but that could have been his way of hiding his true feelings. It could very well be a possibility.

Dreadsox said:
Amyone think that Harry is a Horcrux?
Holy crap you might be on to something! I mean Harry is said to have gotten something from Voldemort when he tried to kill him...hmmm

Some very interesting theories and thoughts here, guys. Thanks! :) I for one loved the book. You knew Dumbledore was going to die (like someone earlier said, in the hero's myth-arc, the mentor has to go for the hero to be on his own). I right now think that Snape will be exonerated, but she'll have to do it very carefully. I'd find that to be the more interesting choice, anyway. It would be odd for Dumble. to have been wrong about him, but not inconceivable. He was always on to Tom Riddle, every if he did have hopes.

Lovin the slightly more mature Harry--he's still reckless and angry, but wiser and determined, and so strong and courageous. Vold. has created himself a formidlble enemy. :)

JKR's formula is showing a bit--I hope she totally ditches it for the final book (do we really need more boring classes with Hermionie knowling all the answers and another Quiditch match?). She relied quite a bit on exposition.

Ginny was a strange and sorta dull choice, IMHO, for Harry's love interest. She's always seemed like a bunch of kid-sister cliches too me and will need to be fleshed out more if that's going to hold my interest.

Loved loved loved the cave scene with D. and Harry looking for the final Horcrux. The idea that it could be Harry himself is very interesting--except that Vold. has spent, so far as we knwo, the past 6 books trying to kill him. LOL. I suppose he could have figured he has others to fall back on. Doesn't seem likely.

I thought Dumble.'s death was quite noble, esp. if he felt it necessary for Vold's final defeat.

Loved Harry telling the Ministy to :censored: off, he's Dumbledore's man. :applaud: :D

All the themes I"ve loved about this are there still--friendship, love, honor, the sense of growing up and discovering how your choices shape you for good or ill, discovering what you're really made of.

Can't waiit for book 7--she's got a very tough job to do to make it great.

I've always felt Snape had a sweet spot for Lilly, but since she didn't really show him that *type* of interest in return, he kept silent or was insulting (as a way of masking his feelings). After all, how can Snape - who is a half-blood - mock Lilly for being a half-blood as well?

As for Harry being a Horcrux, I need to learn a lot more about Horcruxes are made before I accept that theory. And by the time we learn that, it'll be Book 7 and we'll all know that answer. ;)

I do, however, feel that Snape and Dumbledore were together on a plan. Even with Dumbledore in his weakened state, it seems too easy that Draco - of all people - would disarm Dumbledore. And why did Dumbledore use his last spell to freeze Harry - what was gained by that? Why didn't Dumbledore use unspoken magic to get his wand back, instead of talking to Draco that whole time? Surely, the most powerful wizard - even one weakened with poison - could retrieve his own wand. And for Snape to be the one to kill him - the one that Dumbledore trusted without doubt? Clearly there's something fishy here.

I like the idea of Neville being heavily involved in Book 7. I also know that Draco and Harry will team up in that book (Rowling stated as such).

If Harry is a Horcrux, does Harry necessarily have to die (or be destroyed) to release that part of Voldemort's soul? Also, if Harry was an "accidental Horcrux" (meaning, created when the killing spell rebounded on Voldemort), maybe this means Harry doesn't have to die to have Volde's soul removed after all. Hmmm...

I still think in the back of my mind that DD realized he was going to die...he knew he had not reached help in time...and somehow Snape knew it too.

Snape was only supposed to act if Draco FAILED....he did not give Draco the chance to fail.....Maybe it was his way of getting undercover....

I cannot believe DD was so wrong.

doctorwho said:
I've always felt Snape had a sweet spot for Lilly, but since she didn't really show him that *type* of interest in return, he kept silent or was insulting (as a way of masking his feelings). After all, how can Snape - who is a half-blood - mock Lilly for being a half-blood as well?

Lily is Muggle-born, not half-blood. It's a nasty pecking order, the "pure-bloods" think they're superior to everybody, the "half-bloods" spit on the Muggle-borns, and they all hate Squibs and Muggles (not all of Wizardkind, of course, just the idiots who subscribe to the superiority nonsense). And if Voldemort, who's Muggle on one side and totally inbred wizards on the other, can snarl at half-bloods and the rest, what's to stop Snape or any of the rest of his followers from doing the same thing? Prejudice is hardly logical.

doctorwho said:
I like the idea of Neville being heavily involved in Book 7. I also know that Draco and Harry will team up in that book (Rowling stated as such).

I like how Neville has developed as a character, and look forward to seeing him bloom in Book 7. The Draco & Harry team-up will be most interesting. I hope Draco can be turned around and made to see the error of his ways. :yes:

Harry a Horcrux? Could be, but unless she can find a really sneaky way to get around it I don't see JKR killing off Harry in the last book. C'mon, he's her baby, :wink:

Dunno if this is a plothole or not, but how come Harry doesn't recognise Snape's handwriting after he's been his student for five years? Could it really change that much?

I think it's a bit of an annoying writing weakness that helpful devices like travel back in time or the truth potion which help to solve a problem in one book are then completely ignored in another in order for the plot to progress the way it should. Unavoidable, maybe, but still annoying.

Don't know if this theory was mentioned yet, but someone at imdb.com board suggested that perhaps removing the curse from the Slytherin ring came with a far greater price than a blackened hand, and Dumbledore knew he was going to die for a long time. Which is why he was so eager for Harry to learn about Horcruxes and get that missing memory from Slughorn, and had no problems giving a jinxed position to Snape. The jinx thing BTW explains (I think) why Snape never ever got to teach his favourite subject. DD said himself that he had foreseen Voldy's return, and probably didn't want to risk losing his agent to a curse.

I like the Snape/Lily theory the more I think about it; apart from everything else it would tie in nicely with the whole idea of Voldemort's plans going down like lead baloon because of that pesky love thing.

If DD's murder was indeed a set-up, I wonder if there could be another, third person who knows that it's all arranged. Because, as people pointed out, how does Snape's further infiltration help the Order if everyone on the good side wants to rip his head off right now.

Last edited:
Saracene said:
Harry a Horcrux? Could be, but unless she can find a really sneaky way to get around it I don't see JKR killing off Harry in the last book. C'mon, he's her baby, :wink:

Yeah, remember this is still a kids/young adult book. Killing off Harry would really be a horrible blow to a lot of young readers.

Dunno if this is a plothole or not, but how come Harry doesn't recognise Snape's handwriting after he's been his student for five years? Could it really change that much?

I don't know if Harry saw much of Snape's handwriting other than letter grades. Snape doesn't seem like one to make helpful comments :)

I think it's a bit of an annoying writing weakness that helpful devices like travel back in time or the truth potion which help to solve a problem in one book are then completely ignored in another in order for the plot to progress the way it should. Unavoidable, maybe, but still annoying.

I agree, time travel causes a lot of problems. You could go mad, but if you already know that time travel is possible, then seeing a double of yourself wouldn't really cause problems, would it? It'd be nice if she explained it more. Truth potion...maybe great wizards can sense when it's being given to them? Still, it could work on someone like Draco. And of course, liquid luck. Why not use the stuff whenever you're fighting Death Eaters or Voldy?

I like the Snape/Lily theory the more I think about it; apart from everything else it would tie in nicely with the whole idea of Voldemort's plans going down like lead baloon because of that pesky love thing.

It may explain Snape's rancor towards Harry...Harry looks like James, which Snape dispised. Yet his eyes are like Lilly's, which in itself brings back sad memories. Also, Slughorn said that Lilly was an excellent potions student, maybe she got help from Snape.

If DD's murder was indeed a set-up, I wonder if there could be another, third person who knows that it's all arranged. Because, as people pointed out, how does Snape's further infiltration help the Order if everyone on the good side wants to rip his head off right now.

Indeed. Where was Mad Eye Moody this whole book? Or other members of the order? Dumbledore could very well have left something behind that told of his plans.

Or maybe, Regulas Black is not as dead as we think he is? That'd be cool :)

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone else has stated this but couldn't R.A.B in the locket actually be Regulus Black....and if he is not dead couldn't he be the one to help out Harry find and destroy the other Horcruxes.

I am really into this whole LOVE thing. There is quite a dialogue between Harry and Dumbledore about LOVE making the difference, and that is what will help Harry defeat Voldemort.

On the concept of love, I think that is the BIG difference in Sererous Snape. I believe that we will learn that Harry's mother and Snape were possibly in love. Given what we have learned through this book about Lily and her potion making abilities, and Servous' talent through the Half-Blood Prince Textbook, it is clear that they would have been close together at some point in their schooling, two people of such talent.

And that is my current theory about Dumbldore and his Severous. The thing that will make Severous different in the end was that he at some point felt love. Dumbledore knew that he was in danger from the getgo. I believe Severous told him he had taken the oath in the book. I believe Dumbledore was trying to keep Malfoy alive.

If you go back and look at the description of Severous' face and reaction to Dumbledore when Dumbledore is pleading with him, it is very similar to the face that Harry makes when Dumbledore tells him to force the potion into him in the cave.

If I remember correctly Severous aided Dumbledore in destroying the Ring Horcrux. I may need some correcting on this.

I believe that Dumbledore died so that Malfoy could live. LOVE, not killing a child shaped by his parents hate. Severous knew that Dumbledore did not want Malfoy to be killed.

Another thought about the Lilly Snape connection...

is it me, or did Voldemort offer to spare Lily death?

If I am recalling correctly this is so....

Why would he do this, unless Snape had asked him to?

Maybe this is why Dumbledore trusted Snape so much? Voldemort had kille dhis true love?

One last thing....

Lily was present during Harry's dip into what Snapes worst memory was......

Lily was upset that James was torturing Snape....

Voldemort offering to spare Lily: I very much doubt he did it because Snape asked him to. Because then Voldemort would be really stupid to keep Snape around if he knew about his feelings about Lily and her death.

I also do not think Lily had any special feelings towards Snape even if he did. It's more likely that she intervened on his behalf simply because she was a girl with a strong sense of right and wrong and tormenting someone was definitely wrong in her eyes. And I think that in the third book Lupin says that Lily was a sort of person who was capable of seeing good in people even when they themselves didn't, or something to that effect.

I wonder what role, if any, the new Minister for Magic is going to play in the final book... so far he has only been introduced.

Here's another curious detail about DD death scene: I think that Snape is perfectly aware that Harry is present in the room when DD dies. Throughout the books, it has been shown that Snape is capable of putting two and two together with a remarkable speed, and I think there's a passage in the book that describes him looking at where two broomsticks lie on the floor - two, not one. And later on he acts as if he knows that he was seen doing the deed and there's nothing left for him to do but run away.

Sue DeNym said:

Lily is Muggle-born, not half-blood.

Oopsy... :reject: Thanks for the correction! :yes: For some reason, I was thinking of Volde and Snape and my small brain became confused. ;)

Getting back to the book...

While there are a lot of intriguing theories, I'd have to say that this was, by far, my least favorite book. In fact, if I didn't know that Book 7 was the final book, I might give up on this series.

At least half of Book 5 was about Harry's "angst". Rowling would go into great detail about all of Harry's feelings. After a while, it became old. As such, I was rather disappointed with Book 5 already.

But at least we learned more in Book 5 than we did in Book 6. Book 5 discussed characters in more detail. Book 6 seemed nothing more than a set-up for Book 7 - almost like a big prologue or introduction! As others have stated, where were all the rest of the Order? What were they doing this entire time? What were the other DE's doing? And with the Dementors fighting on Volde's side, what kept the DE's from staying in Azkaban? Why didn't they just leave or have other DE's break them out? Why didn't they use the Dementors to help them escape? Just like the truth potion, time travel and the "lucky" potions, it seems odd that these are used only to advance the plot, but not when logic dictates.

Plus, there's all that nonsense about DD's death. Why would the most powerful wizard - even in a supposedly weakened state - not use his powers to fight for himself? Why not use them to further protect Harry? Clearly there's more going on there - but at least I can accept this part. All the above questions seem to odd to me.

For Rowling to end this series well, there'd better be some 1200 page book - without tons of stuff discussing Harry's every thought! Answer the damn questions, woman! :lol:

I agree that Book 6 feels like a setup for the final book more than anything else and therefore suffers from being a transitional chapter rather than its own creature; but it's still my third-favourite book after "Goblet of Fire" and "Prisoner of Azkaban".

I had no big problems with Harry's angst in the fifth book, but what I found disappointing is that at its core it lacked an interesting story to propel it. I also thought the final climatic battle was the worst-written of the series and the final big revelation wasn't much to write home about either. And unlike books 4 and 6, the character's death at the end left me completely indifferent.

I shudder to think how long the final book needs to be, considering how much ground it needs to cover. And I wonder whether there'll be some sort of epilogue at the end or whether it will all stop at the (inevitable) defeat of Voldemort.

I just went back to the Chamber of Secrets....

End of the Book DD tells Harry that Voldemort left a piece of himself inside Harry, but he was not sure if it was intentional.

Now as I am thinking about this, end of The Order of the Phoenix, DD tells Harry that he has not been telling him everything, and that Harry was too young to bear the burden in his first years of schooling at Hogwarts.

Also, Harry asks DD if Voldemort would have put himself into something living, and DD explains that it was a risy thing to do, because it should be something valuable, that would be protected. Isn't that what DD did, protect Harry all these years?

Dalton said:
Does anyone know when book 7 is supposed to be released or what it is rumored to be called? Thanks,

I don't think the publishers or JKR herself have given any indication about when the last book may be released, but there were two years between books four and five and two years between five and six, so I guess that might give us some idea about when to expect book seven. That's just speculation though, for all I know it might be out next summer or we might have to wait years for it. I hope it's the former though.

Saracene said:

I had no big problems with Harry's angst in the fifth book, but what I found disappointing is that at its core it lacked an interesting story to propel it. I also thought the final climatic battle was the worst-written of the series and the final big revelation wasn't much to write home about either. And unlike books 4 and 6, the character's death at the end left me completely indifferent.

I agree completely! It felt to me like, despite being the longest book, it had the least actual plot. I enjoyed reading it, but I can't remember anything of much significance happening in the first 600 or so pages. The ending was rather anti-climatic too and Sirius's death didn't affect me much at all. And the shocking revelation wasn't all that shocking. News Flash: Either Harry or Voldemort are going to die at the end of the series! I mean, it may've been shocking for Harry, but it's not that shocking to the reader I guess. It wasn't as good as the ending of Azkaban, y'know...

Anyway...I like the theory about Harry being a Horcrux. It doesn't make much sense now, but I can't wait to see what else she reveals in final book.

VertigoGal said:

The ending was rather anti-climatic too and Sirius's death didn't affect me much at all.

When I first read book 5 I thought that Sirius probably hadn't even died--his death was so anti-climatic and ambiguous (he goes through the veil, no body, no avada kedavra, just kinda disappears). Had JKR not made it clear in interviews that he was really dead and she was upset that she killed him off I would still be holding out hope...

As for book 7, I heard somewhere that she was going to start writing it at the end of this year. Though I doubt that really gives us any indication of when it will be done.

I'm actually really excited for the Goblet of Fire movie in November. :hyper:

Oh, I think JK could be messing with us. Regardless of what she said, the death is far too ambiguous. I could definitely see Sirius playing a role in Year 7.

Someone mentioned just above, not sure who, sorry, how annoying it was that when handy devices like time travel are known, why not use them. And that made me wonder, I have a woeful memeory, but wasn't something along those lines actually addressed in one of the recent books? Perhaps when Hermione fiddled with time to save Buckbeak or maybe even Harry talked about this with someone, but dont the Ministry want magic very regulated, so people dont play around with things that will essentially muck up balance? When DD died, the first thing I thought was, why not turn back time again, like they did in the previous, but something is telling my brain that magic or doing stuff like that had already been addressed at some point... Or I'm grossly mistaken and we have to write it off as poetic licence.
:hmm:

Actually, I'm re-reading HBP again and it does mention, in a clever roundabout way, that the Ministry's entire supply of time travel thingies got smashed during the fight with Death Eaters.

That still leaves stuff like the truth potion and why doesn't someone just give Malfoy a drop and ask him a few well-aimed questions. Or Snape, for that matter.

Don't really see Sirius returning... but if someone gets to die in the next book, I really hope it's Umbridge. :madspit: I loathed her character so much in the fifth book; she surely is a spiritual sister of the Vogons from Hithhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books.

Saracene said:
but if someone gets to die in the next book, I really hope it's Umbridge. :madspit: I loathed her character so much in the fifth book; she surely is a spiritual sister of the Vogons from Hithhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books.

Yeah, Umbridge was evil. I don't know if she's an undercover Death Eater or just a power-hungry politician, but she was a nasty character. And she's still employed at the Ministry, despite the fiasco she was responsible for at Hogwarts...politics as usual.

She'll probably have a big role in the last book, a human obstacle in Harry's quest. And I hope she gets the comeuppance she deserves.

Dreadsox said:
I just went back to the Chamber of Secrets....

End of the Book DD tells Harry that Voldemort left a piece of himself inside Harry, but he was not sure if it was intentional.

Now as I am thinking about this, end of The Order of the Phoenix, DD tells Harry that he has not been telling him everything, and that Harry was too young to bear the burden in his first years of schooling at Hogwarts.

Also, Harry asks DD if Voldemort would have put himself into something living, and DD explains that it was a risy thing to do, because it should be something valuable, that would be protected. Isn't that what DD did, protect Harry all these years?

That's not a bad idea, but i'm not sure volde would try and destroy one of his horcruxes personally

If there are seven....and he was pretty sure nobody knew where the others were I think he might.

I had read this idea before, but I was surprised no one mentioned it *or i might have missed it after reading the posts*

But DD had that fascination with phoenixes, maybe he felt he was getting old and weak, told Snape to kill him, and will rise again from the ashes like Fawkes. It could be traced back to the 2nd book when Harry saw Fawkes die then be reborn, that little event seems too signifigant to just throw out for me.

Back
Top Bottom