Harry Potter predictions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
:lol:

I'm kind of laughing at myself, because while I've enjoyed the books, I've never been one of the "MUST READ IT ON THE FIRST DAY IT's RELEASED!!!" kind of fans.

But I'm really curious to see how it ends, and want to be able to follow along with internet drama if/when a major character or five kicks the bucket. I don't want to miss a moment of it! :wink:

Agreed. The only reason I've preordered it and will get it ASAP is so that some bugger doesn't go and ruin it for me, forcing me to disembowel them.

I ordered the original. A little because the translation here doesn't come out until Feb 16th, and a little because I don't think I will be missing spoilers for that long.

A few more days :whistle:

So I'm taking the Leaky quiz I posted early in this thread and I don't really like it - it's too narrow. Obviously if they had "something else" for all the questions it would be pretty worthless, and it's probably worthless as a high score competition cause some assholes who've read the leaked copy will take it. But they don't even have a "Snape is neither good nor evil, it's more complicated" option or for this question:

JK Rowling said that there is more to the relationship between a wizard and his wand than we know. What could this be?

Wands can amplify or decrease magical power depending on their compatibility with the wizard

I'm not sure what it will be, but it won't be important

Wands are predestined when they are created to go to a specific owner

What if I want to say "I'm not sure what it will be, aka not the other two choices, but it will be important"???

Anyway, not really vital that this quiz be perfect, but I'm shocked at the ambiguous Snape oversight and it's something to pass the time and keep reminding me of all the things that might come into play.

So one of you people who doesn't care, like Justin, can you very very very non-revealingly tell me if that SPOILERS thread is just a template for when the discussion begins, or if they've actually started going at it over the pdf copy? To be clear, I don't want to know what they are saying, just IF they are talking about it at all.

Last edited:
EVERYBODY:

I repeat ***I REPEAT***** DO NOT READ THE NEW YORK TIMES TOMORROW. EITHER ONLINE OR PRINT. OR THE BALTIMORE SUN.

Both these venerable publications apparently got real honest to god copies. One from DeepDiscount, the online retialer that has been sued for sending out the books early. Of the two, the Baltimore Sun one is the worst spoiler-wise, it reveals Harry's fate....and it comes from a real book. I can't guaruntee how many media outlets Thursday will either have have gotten hold of a DeepDisocunt copy or linked to these two reviews, but it'll be ALL OVER THE PLACE. Poor Jo. She updated her site today to ask people to "help preserve the secrecy".

The New York Times one isn't as specific when it comes to the majorest plot points, (and it gives a great summary of the series in that elevated prose way only the NYT can do; it'll make great reading for you all after you've finished the book; so you can have someone send you the NYT review and store it in your inbox until Sunday!lol) . BUT IT STILL GIVES SOME SHOCKING HINTS. Forget Kleenex, I'm getting a *beach towel*! It also specifically reveals what the Deathly Hallows are.

This article has caused such an uproar at Mugglenet that they have *FINALLY* (after a week, dorkheads!!) disabled their comments sdections in their news stories.

I actually don't mind being even fakely spoiled 2 days out, so I've been reading this stuff, esp the fake stuff. It's been great fun watching the debate rage on as to which spoilers are true and which fake. I'm printing out some of the discussion to save for posterity. At this point, nobody knows, though these reviews aren't helping any. Media all over the world are starting to report on these "spoilers"--I've read about TV stations in the Netherlands supposedly reading what they thinkare the last sentences on air. LOL.

FORGET THE PRINT REVIEWS I MENTIONED, GUYS--THE TV IS GOING TO BE TALKING ABOUT THE NY TIMES TOMORROW, I'm SURE.

EVERYBODY: NO MEDIA AT ALL UNTIL SATURDAY! I WARN YOU! THE CAT *MIGHT* BE OUT OF THE BAG!!!!

Sorry about the "shouting", I meant to have a bullhorn. :wink: (Is there a bullhorn gif?)The situation is getting out of control and I just had to warn you guys!!!!

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
I have it pre-ordered, but I leave town on the same day and need to do summer reading.

Fuck it, I'm reading HP7.

150 pages into Kate Runner, and it's not too bad :wink:

Varitek said:
I am tempted to bittorrent it (that's how it leaked) only because that way I know I can avoid being spoiled. I'm deterred because I've never been to a midnight release, I don't want to encourage ruining it, I'm afraid I'll be spoiled somehow just going to a bittorrent dl site, and mostly I'm pretty sure scholastic will be collecting all those IP addresses for a lawsuit.

And nothing competes with the tactile feeling of turning real pages in a real book.

Don't torrent it. The one I got isn't a transcript, it's actual photos of every page and it's a complete waste of time to try to read. Maybe there's different ones, I dunno, but the one I got would drive me buggy by the fifth page. I just checked the book length, scanned the chapter titles, and put it away.

lmao has anyone seen this on the net? It's called "Snape's 12 days of Christmas", by someone who calls herself Lady Claudia.

On the first day of Christmas, Gilderoy gave to me,
a member card to his fan club.

On the second day of Christmas, Dumbledore gave to me,
two dreadful socks and a member card to his fan club.

On the third day of Christmas, Trelawney gave to me,
three French kiss, two dreadful socks and a member card to her fan club.

On the forth day of Christmas, old Hagrid gave to me,
four horrid cakes, three French kiss , two dreadful socks and a member card to his fan club.

On the fifth day of Christmas, Longbottom gave to me,
five exploding cauldrons! Four horrid cakes, three French kiss , two dreadful socks and a member card to his fan club.

On the sixth day of Christmas, Know-it-all gave to me,
six toothbrushes, five exploding cauldrons! Four horrid cakes, three French kiss , two dreadful socks and a member card to her fan club.

On the seventh day of Christmas, Minerva gave to me,
seven cat fur balls, six toothbrushes, five exploding cauldrons! Four horrid cakes, three French kiss , two dreadful socks and a member card to her fan club.

On the eighth day of Christmas, Ron Weasel gave to me,
eight slimy snails, seven cat fur balls, six toothbrushes, five exploding cauldrons! Four horrid cakes, three French kiss , two dreadful socks and a member card to his fan club.

On the ninth day of Christmas, the Werewolf gave to me,
nine Gryffindor hats, eight slimy snails, seven cat fur balls, six toothbrushes, five exploding cauldrons! Four horrid cakes, three French kiss , two dreadful socks and a member card to his fan club.

On the tenth day of Christmas, frog Umbridge gave to me,
ten pink fuzzy shirts, nine Gryffindor hats, eight slimy snails, seven cat fur balls, six toothbrushes, five exploding cauldrons! Four horrid cakes, three French kiss , two dreadful socks and a member card to her fan club.

On the eleventh day of Christmas, mad Moody gave to me,
eleven hexes, ten pink fuzzy shirts, nine Gryffindor hats, eight slimy snails, seven cat fur balls, six toothbrushes, five exploding cauldrons! Four horrid cakes, three French kiss , two dreadful socks and a member card to his fan club.

On the twelfth day of Christmas, Harry Potter gave to me,
shampoo and rinse, eleven hexes, ten pink fuzzy shirts, nine Gryffindor hats, eight slimy snails, seven cat fur balls, six toothbrushes, five exploding cauldrons! Four horrid cakes, three French kiss , two dreadful socks and a member card to his fan club.

Varitek, you've never been to a midnight release party? Oh, they are SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!Like I posted before, I used to work at a Borders until very recently and helped host two of them. I dressed as my idea of Rita Skeeter (as Film 4 hadn't come out yet.) There are constume contests for both parents and kids. (and for the store staff. The winner in '03 was a sweet middle-aged lady, one of the managers, who dressed as Fluffy the Three-headed Dog. There was a guy who looked a lot like Robbie Coltrane, right down to his height, he was big-framed and 6'5, and he actually had a motorcycle. So of course he dressed up as Hagrid and the store manager arranged for him to get to work at a certain time in the evening and he announced over the PA that "ladies and gentlemen, we have a big surprise for you"etc, Hagrid was coming now, and told all the kids go to the windows,--this store has wraparound windows in front-- and they cheered when he parked the bike and walked in to work! ) I'm going to my old store tomorrow evening. They're having an "All Hallows Ball" and encouraging "all wizards and Muggles" (sweet!) to dress in either your Hogwarts finest or for a Ball. I wonder how many parents will take this to heart and show up in Yule Ball tuxes and gowns! I'm going there straight from work, so no ball gown for me, alas, but I am bringing a camera. I'm sure many others will be taking pics too! . My store also brings in an aviary team with some live owls and every half-hour the owls put on a little "show." The kids, let me tell you, are absolutely spellbound (pun intended!) And while there are trivia contests --for adults and kids alike--there's an arts and crafts area for the kids. That was what I did--I helped the kids make paper wizard hats, wands, etc. IT IS SO MUCH FUN!!!!!

The best part is the elctric feeling in the air, the aura of celbration you normally get at a concert. It's great to see the adults, some of them, just as jacked up as the kids--if not more. At our store, at midnight, the manager leads everybody in a "ten, nine" countdown until the stroke of 12 and then ceremoniously reads the first paragraph before beginning to ring people up. The cheers and applause! It's weirds to see the adults going bonkers over watching the boxes on the counter being ripped open--but it's kind of cool too!

Two words of advice. MAKE SURE YOU ARE LIGHTLY DRESED AS POSSIBLE--after a half hour the store will so SO FREAKING HOT!!
And if I were you, don't leave the house at 11 and show up. Try to get there before 8 or 9. At our store people begin forming the line even as early as 10--it's like buying tickets in the good old non-Net days. At 11 PM the managers at my store start everyone forming the formal line.

Last: I have read that some people (with superhuman preserverance) plan to avoid being spoiled even to the point of donning iPod headphones and cranking up the volume from 5 minutes before midnight until they are on the road. THis may be extreme, but I believe the stories of dorkheads ruing things for everybody by flipping open their copy and shouting "SO AND SO DIES!" to the entire store.Or even people whoshare rumors. It hasn't happened at any of my parties, but I easily see it happening. There are a lot of combo jerks and weirdos in the world. I don't know how guys plan to remain being nonspoiled, but keep this in mind.

We're almost there, guys.....*SNIFF--* I think I'll bring the aforementioned beach towel to the store tomorrow!!!!

Last edited:
I can't believe it's just a few hours away. Teta, I have a baseball game to attend so I will indeed be showing up around 11, maybe later if parking is tough, but I'm really all about getting my book ASAP and speeding home to read it. (no speeding...getting pulled over will take longer than driving the speed limit...lol). But I should get it fast, as I've said before, this local bookstore is selling tickets at 9, so you basically pay for the book then, and all you have to do is trade the ticket for a book at midnight. Should go as fast as people can grab them!

But now I'm feeling like showing up in my Red Sox t-shirt might be a bit un-festive, so I'm going to go see if I can't find a witch's hat or something.

Sicy by the way, thanks for policing!

Is it sad that I am playing Arcade Fire's Wake Up in my head in anticipation?

I'll see you guys in the discussion thread!!!

Well, I managed to get one of the Deluxe Editions, (the one with the painting of the Trio riding a dragon on the cover), the Mary Grandpre color portrait of Snape and another Death Eater walking through the gates of Malfoy Manor opposite the first page, and the additional 30 pages of enlarged versions of the chapter title page art, with captions, at the end of the book...getting hold of this was a saga and I'll share tonight (no spoilers I promise!)

Just one bit of advice: keep the aforementioned beach towel on hand for everything after pg 600 is one big tearjerker. Special warning for Chapters 33 and 34.

I rushed through the 2nd half of the book and and am now going back and reading the first half.

I've posted some thoughts already in the spoiler thread....the story of Snape is just indescribably sad and beautiful.

Chapter 19 foreshadows Chapter 34.
And IMO, Chapters 2 and 35 are also "linked" in a way.

Those of you who have not yet started, prepare to have your socks rocked off. And I've only read the last 200 pgs!!

Do you Americans have bigger print or smaller pages or what? Our version of HP is the same as the British one and it's barely over 600 pages long (with a different cover).

Anitram, we have bigger pages (a bigger book) with less paragraphs on a page. I met someone at my book party who had the British version of HBP and let me take a look. Ours, I'm guessing, is exclusively printed in a "children's book" format, except for "teen versions" which don't come out in hardcover, only later on in paperback. (unlike the British where there is an adult vrsion and kids version.) This explains all the Mary Grandpre art.....she was a well-known chaildren's book illistrator in Florida in the late 90's. Those have slightly smaller print but roughly the same number of pages. The U.S, publisher, Scholastic, is the preeminent American kid's publisher.

I run into several people who wish they had the American editions b/c of the artwork. LOL. Personally, I wish the U.S. had "adult" versions too-I like smaller type. myself.

As to the Deluxe Editions--Scholastic only printed 100,000 of these and they staopped taking online orders months ago---I hate to rub it in, but I'm over the moon....

Back tonight (I hope!)

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
Just one bit of advice: keep the aforementioned beach towel on hand for everything after pg 600 is one big tearjerker. Special warning for Chapters 33 and 34.

:uhoh: are you kidding??????!!!!!!!!!!!

I was sobbing in one of the first few chapters. I had to put the book down. It was something I'd NEVER expected to happen and well....it was about something...someone.....lets just say I have 2 macaw's (parrots) at home.

I'm sorry.....I've been on edge through the whole book so far! :lol:

Kiki...like I said, I found myself reading everything after "The Sacking of Severus Snape"--had to go to that title first b/c I said, "Huh? DADA or what??" (Snape is my favorite character (after Harry of course)--don't ask me why:eyebrow: ). Oh, and I had to read Chapter 19 "The Silver Doe" after finishing "The Prince's Tale".....you know what I mean--I posted a HUGE analysis of this chapter on pg. 7 of the Spoilers thread, tell me what you think....this is only going to become more heartbreaking as time goes on, not many are picking up on it...Then I started on the first half.....I'm on Chapter 6, I LOVE Molly's strategms, LOL..sounds like my mom, (RIP...). I know what you mean! WHY did she have to kill the--oh, I almost said it. Someone alert John Williams, if you know what I mean!

Teta040 said:
Kiki...like I said, I found myself reading everything after "The Sacking of Severus Snape"--had to go to that title first b/c I said, "Huh? DADA or what??" (Snape is my favorite character (after Harry of course)--don't ask me why:eyebrow: ). Oh, and I had to read Chapter 19 "The Silver Doe" after finishing "The Prince's Tale".....you know what I mean--I posted a HUGE analysis of this chapter on pg. 7 of the Spoilers thread, tell me what you think....this is only going to become more heartbreaking as time goes on, not many are picking up on it...Then I started on the first half.....I'm on Chapter 6, I LOVE Molly's strategms, LOL..sounds like my mom, (RIP...). I know what you mean! WHY did she have to kill the--oh, I almost said it. Someone alert John Williams, if you know what I mean!

I'll have to catch up on the spoilers after I'm done. I'm still not finished with the book. Work and life just get to much in the way!!!

Kiki, I wish you the best of luck in remaining unspoiled. I look forward to your input in our discussion thread, be sure to read all the JKR interviews right after the epilogue so you don't feel disappointed by the sparsity of information there - she's given us loads more now in the interviews. :)

In a way I'm completely totally jealous of you for still having a large bit of unknown Harry ahead of you.

Back
Top Bottom