Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babble

The Fly
What are your honest opinions of the movie? I mean those of you that have actually seen it. And please, there are two things I'd rather not see:

1) Opinions from people that automatically
like it just because it's popular and
will sing praises to anything that is
popular.

2) Opinions from toppy-nosed culture snobs
that have pre-set their minds against
it and would rather have their toe-nails
jerked out than say a positive word about
it simply because it's popular among the
"ignorant masses".

These seem to be the only two types of reviews (from regular people) of the movie I've seen so I'd like some unbiased ones please. Thanks all!

Keep in mind I'm a fan of fantasy in general as you read this.

I absolutely loved it. I went in worried I'd be the only person older than 12, and was shocked to see many people my age in there. I guess it must be the hype. I went in with the attitude that the movie was all hype myself, but I love fantasy so I figured I'd give it a shot. And I was stunned. The imagery used in the movie matches that of the book to nearly every little detail, and that makes for a great setting.

My only complaint is that the story takes a while to get rolling. But when it does start up, it's pretty exciting, and it totally blew my 8.50 away. I may go see it again before I see LOTR:FOTR.

Also, loved the whole cast, and it had two actors from one of my all time favorite movies, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Thanks for the input Unforgettable Lemon.
smile.gif

I've heard some people say that there is too much emphasis on the special effects. Would you say this is true?

Here's a question for you:

Here in Canada, it's called Harry Potter and the /Philosopher's/ Stone
In the States it's Harry Potter and the /Sorcerer's/ Stone

Why is that? And what's the name of the book?

------------------
*It's just a moment
This time will pass*

[This message has been edited by SweetPea (edited 11-25-2001).]

The book is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

And I think that as long as the book is fully supported and represented, special effects can't be overdone. I thought it was great.

The title of the book in England is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
I like the movie a lot; I wish the movie had been able to go as deeply into the characters and their motivations as the book does. Even at 2 1/2 hours, the movie just skims the surface of a very deep and rich story. I didn't like the way the ghosts were done at all. They were too Disney/Spielberg/hokey. That said, it was well-done and quite wonderful!

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

I thought it was a really good movie - and I think it was especially well done considering the vast majority of viewers (at least on the opening weekend) had read the book - and the movie did a good job of staying as faithful to the book as possible given the time constraints.

What I liked:
1)The casting (for the most part): Dumbledore, Snape, Hagrid, McGonagall Hermione, Ron, Harry (except for the blue instead of green eyes) and Draco were all pretty much as I'd imagined them when reading the book. Snape was absolutely perfect.
2) The special effects: overall very well done and convincing
3) The soundtrack: John Williams. 'Nuff said.
smile.gif

My few complaints:
1)Harry's relationships with the Dursley's wasn't portrayed all that well. The book really gets across that Harry really hates the Dursleys, but the movie just gets across that the Dursleys are mean and Harry doesn't like them
2) The centaur looked weird - it looked rough and unnatural
3) Some of the acting wasn't all that great (Fred and George weren't all that great - Aunt Petunia wasn't all that convincing, either)

Other than that, I thought it was a great movie. And like the books - for it's length it really moved very well.

I quite liked it. It was really well done. I haven't read any of the books, yet, but I plan to. I loved the score. Williams is a genius, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Star Wars fan.

------------------
<A HREF="http://"http://www.iusb.edu/~preimers/monkey.jpg"" TARGET=_blank>It's a monkey!</A>

loved it. even with hundreds of screaming 6 year olds around me.

Evidently the publishers changed the title in the US only to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone as they didn't think americans would understand or get "philosopher".

[This message has been edited by zoomerang II (edited 11-27-2001).]

Originally posted by bonofnattic:
GAaaaaasp! I won't be watching such a Satanic, evil, occultic movie!

Apparently there was some religious fundamentalist writer in Oklahoma who wrote a column basically saying this, except the idiot was serious!

And we wonder why some people get turned off from religion...

I liked the movie!

I've read all four books and enjoy the Harry Potter series. The movie was long but it was true to the book! I wish however that the sorting hat did it's little song or poem before the Sorting.

I had a weird Harry Potter moment b/c I saw this in Las Vegas when I was there for U2 and the film just burned before our eyes, it was funny but they fixed the film so we could watch the end!

Hey thanks for all the opinions. I am reading the first book with my little sister who is also a big fan of fantasy (she loves the Chronicles of Narnia as well),and we wanted to wait until we finished it to see the movie. I'm glad to hear that it follows the book pretty acurately. It is really disapointing to read a good book and then see a very poorly done movie version of it.

Back
Top Bottom