Guilty Pleasures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
[color=royal blue]Music I mean, dern it.

OK who do you like to listen to but you'd never tell anyone? 'FESS UP! Embarrass yerself.

I'll go first.

Pink

Bryan Adams
[/color]

:silent: :eek: :eek:

Hey, I like Bryan Adams!

Nickelback ( :love: :heart: ) Default, Paul Simon, Bon Jovi.. probably a bunch others but none I can think of atm.

Well, I guess some people would say I should feel guilty about these, but I still like them..

Good old fashioned Irish bands like The Chieftains, Makem and Clancy

Yo Yo Ma-the way he plays the cello brings me to tears. I saw him play at the symphony only once, and it was beyond description.

Sarah Brightman- the Phantom Of The Opera soundtrack is the only CD I have w/ her on it, but I've heard some of her other songs, and I think her voice is amazing

Elvis' gospel music

Jewel

u2er said:
Hey, I like Bryan Adams!

Nickelback ( :love: :heart: ) Default, Paul Simon, Bon Jovi.. probably a bunch others but none I can think of atm.

ok, I can understand you feeling guilty for liking nickleback and default...thats just sick...
but why say Paul Simon
he's awesome and he writes amazing music.
I fail to see why anyone would be ashamed of liking him

Andrew W.K. and the Stray Cats. I'm not very embarrassed about the Stray Cats anymore though, they're actually a great band.

OMC, my list would be about a mile long if I named all of the artists I listen to that you guys would wanna beat me with a stick for listenin' to!!!! :silent:

Basstrap said:

ok, I can understand you feeling guilty for liking nickleback and default...thats just sick...
but why say Paul Simon
he's awesome and he writes amazing music.
I fail to see why anyone would be ashamed of liking him

*sigh* you're right.. a lot of people make fun of me for it but they obviously have bad taste.

Whats people's obsession with bashing nickleback? I mean for fucks sake there are 3 canadian bands that the american public knows about, The tragically hip, The tea party, and Nickleback... I dont even know if tea party is canadian! We have so many kickass bands that go completely unnoticed, and then somebody makes it big on a later album, certainly not their first, after touring for years and years, and suddenly theyre just a crappy prefab band pumped out by the music industry. Like where the fuck do you all get off? I mean Im not a big fan of nickleback but give them at least some credit for the work theyve done. Just look at Our Lady Peace, from my understanding of things, having friends in the states, 99.9% of people hadnt even heard about them, and up until the release of gravity and having Somewhere Out There on the radio, hadnt heard of them, and even having heard S.O.T. didnt even know the name of the band. Like come on here... Give credit where credit is due, you can say you dont like Iggy Pop, or the Sex Pistols, but if youre a punk fan you have no right to say they sucked, thatd be like saying Led Zepplin sucked if youre a rock fan. Sure, you might not like their music, but they were trying to break new ground for musicians like themselves. Now musically, led zepplin and nickleback are very different, and Im sure as hell not saying the quality is the same, but you have to realise how tough it is for canadians to get noticed. We're like the American's little annoying brother, we tag along on issues of economy, trade back and forth, be pleasant with each other, but everyone loves the little brother more and that makes the older brother jealous and in turn the older brother (or american cultrue) ignores the little brother (or canadian culture).

Anyways, time for my little confessions... Uhmmm Ive been listening to pink a lot more lately, and Tenacious D... lol jack black is a riot sometimes.

Ive also found that Ive had Nelly's Hot in Here stuck in my head on several occasions... that pisses me off though cuz I hate that song and I hate nelly...

Hmm... what else... :eek: oh yes... the ultimate blasphemy... I actually like creed's One Last Breath... just the song, not the video... I hate the video... but I have no respect for creed, not since scott stapp has been running his mouth about this that and the other... he always makes such an ass of himself, he doesnt even have an excuse like shakira whos second language is english and is not properly understood/understands what shes saying... he knows what hes saying, hes just an ignorant dumbass... I hate the band and therefore I cannot respect the quality of the music, which, in my opinion, still all sounds the same, and in listening to some of their older stuff I found a song that was somewhat comparable to One Last Breath much to my dismay... and then I realised, shit! Im listening to Creed!... nuff said....

Anyways... hmmm what else... oh I dunno... Im too tired... if I thinka something Ill edit my post...

(edit (1): Speaking of sounds the same... Andrew W.K.? LOL... the CD is as follows: Music is exactly the same, lyrics are slightly different... Although I must say that Lets Get a Party Started or whatever is a pretty killer song, if you ignore the fact that the rest of the cd is identical... lol)

Last edited:
This is extremely embarrassing and possibly sick-making , but it has a U2 connection , so I'll tell the story.
On the drive home from seeing U2 in Brisbane, we were coming thru the Gold Coast and I asked the driver.."STOP!" and ran into a music store and bought the Shania Twain CD single that was a hit at the time. A present for the baby-sitter waiting at home. Even my mother says she can't stand shania twain, so that must be bad.
He just bought me the Shakira album, we listen to it a lot actaully:barf: :laugh: :love:
crikes this is true confession time
Elvis...about that edit function...?

Yowza there UFF!

I respect that Nickleback have worked hard in their career - but it has nothing to do with jealousy or any of the things you have mentioned, or them being Canadian, etc...

By your logic - does anyone not have a right to "bash" or dislike a band just because they have worked hard or put in their dues? I don't care for Nickleback.. is that wrong to you? I don't like their style, is that not okay? One of the problems with the whole Nickleback phenomenon is that they are vastly overplayed on American radio, and so thus, become annoying.

For what it's worth, I don't even listen to most American music, and I'm American.

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
Whats people's obsession with bashing nickleback?

THANK you. I don't know why people bash them, cuz they're different from U2 I guess. You have to learn to broaden your horizons. I think they've done a lot of great work and should get the respect they deserve. I don't care what Basstrap or anybody else thinks..

I LOVE NICKELBACK!

Last edited:
Journey
Cheap Trick
AC/DC
Guns N Roses
Foreigner (I just bought their greatest hits)
Culture Club
Motley Crue
Van Halen (DLR era only)

And Gina Marie...I LOVE Sarah Brightman...her duet of Time to Say Goodbye with Andrea Bocceli will bring tears to your eyes! I think the CD is also called Time to Say Goodbye. Its SO beautiful. I also love the Chieftans :)

I also must add that I don't care for Nickleback either but it has nothing to do with them being Canadian or not being like U2...I just don't care for their music, plain and simple. I have pretty broad musical tastes ranging from rock, pop, punk, heavy metal, soul, blues, opera, traditional Irish, folk, classical, mariachi and even a little country but Nickleback just didn't grab me.

Last edited:
u2er said:

THANK you. I don't know why people bash them, cuz they're different from U2 I guess. You have to learn to broaden your horizons. I think they've done a lot of great work and should get the respect they deserve. I don't care what Basstrap or anybody else thinks..

I LOVE NICKELBACK!

I don't get the misconception some Interferencers have that makes them think that we hate all music different from U2. Liking or not liking Nickleback has nothing to do with horizons. It has to do with: either you LIKE something or you DON'T. I am a very highly versed person in music, and I just don't care for Nickleback. Big deal. I can see why Nickleback might appeal to people, though. It just doesn't appeal to me.

U2 is 5% of what I listen to. 95% is made up of trip-hop, electronica, rap, hiphop, and new bands that aren't all over MTV or radio, but rather big in other countries.

I hate to admit it, but Calluna knows this for fact, I have many Kenny Rogers lps....

but that doesn't mean that I like him, right?:yes:

I'm a fan of a band called "The Galactic Cowboys" who are great musicians..although the name always made me a little embarrassed to tell people. They rock though, mix the Beatles with Metallica kinda :eek:

Pop Music....

Britney Spears

BSB etc etc etc.....im not naming all the bands :silent:

I also like dance & techno music esp. Basement Jaxx

Oh and i like opera & classical stuff esp. vivaldi and handel

I would just like to take a minute to say that any reason why I would dislike ANY band has NOTHING to do with how similar they are to U2.

in fact a lot of what I listen to his further away from U2 than nickleback is.

nickleback is boring and is simply watered down metal, made nice and cheesy for radio

this is my opinion, and others can and will have theirs
thats fine
I have a friend who likes Britany Spears...it's fun to give her a hard time but at the end of the day I realize that this is what entertains her, so hey! whatever

My biggest would be Mariah.... mostly the old stuff before she got all skanky. Her voice still amazes me.

80s music kicks ass...lol I have an enormous collection of 80s CD -they may rival my U2 boots! :D

Guns n Roses... someone else mentioned this, but nothing to be embarrased about.... I LOVE these guys!

Musical soundtracks... like the Sound of Music, Miss Saigon, any of those.

HelloAngel said:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

What's your favorite track on the "Resist" CD of theirs?

I like "Hide U" best, I think. I also really like "Empty Skies."

I got it because of the free Q cd. :D

Have you heard Lamb? They're kind of similar, and very good too.

I am not ashamed of any of the music I derive pleasure out of listening to. My tastes are wide and varied...... enough said.

However, I really want to jump on the Nickelback bashwagon... HelloAngel pretty much summed up my feelings regarding this matter in both of her posts. I will say too though, that the kind of rock that Nickelback, Creed, Default, The Calling et al play, just has never been my thing. It's too mainstream, too 'safe'. I can't really describe it. Probably the same reason why I have never really liked Aerosmith. I definately have an appreciation fro rock, but give it to me hard core, or soft and sultry like Coldplay and Travis.

I suppose my guilty pleasure than is the odd tune by Marilyn Manson, Kid Rock, and oh my please help me... even Eminem. :silent: It pains me to enjoy some of his tunes. Damn that Marshall Mathers!! Damn him!!!! :mad:

meegannie said:

I like "Hide U" best, I think. I also really like "Empty Skies."

I got it because of the free Q cd. :D

Have you heard Lamb? They're kind of similar, and very good too.

Those are my faves tooo!!

*wishing I had a friend around here who knew of Kosheen or shared a love for Starsailor, etc...* :)

:no: Please don't anyone degrade GnR.....they are more than a guilty pleasure, they are feckin' great!!

I love sappy Phil Collins songs.....:eek: and Mariah Carey's early days :eek:

P.S. Where did Ricky Martin go anyway?

Back
Top Bottom