Guided By Voices To Split At Year's End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000496110

Beloved indie rock act Guided By Voices will split at the end of the year, frontman Robert Pollard announced on stage last night (April 24) at New York's Bowery Ballroom. The group's final album, "Half Smiles of the Decomposed," will be released Aug. 24 via Matador. A full announcement is expected from the label on Monday.

"That's it," Pollard said about an hour through the three-hour set, which featured a guest appearance by Chavez/Zwan member Matt Sweeney on "Quicksilver" and a cover of AC/DC's "Whole Lotta Rosie." "You can't be the Rolling Stones. You've gotta quit while you're relatively handsome."

GBV's 21-year career will "go out in a blaze of fire," Pollard insisted, adding that the group's final show will be held on New Year's Eve in New York. "We are the kings of indie rock. When we quit, indie rock will die."

Pollard did not give a specific reason for last night's announcement. In recent years, he has spent as much time recording with GBV as he has immersed in solo projects with current and former GBV members, including guitarist Doug Gillard (Lifeguards), bassist Tim Tobias (Circus Devils) and guitarist Tobin Sprout (Airport 5).

GBV's touring plans for the rest of the year have yet to be announced beyond three U.S. shows in June, beginning June 17 in Champaign, Ill.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

champaign eh?

Maybe I'll have to check them out. I have never been overly excited about their stuff....but if they are starting the tour here...:up:

Why? They've been around so long and have done so much but are only now getting recognition. :|

i was really bummed since i passed up a chance to see them playing here really recently.

stupid :banghead: stupid :banghead: stupid :banghead:

i've taken it for granted that bands will be around forever because i've never actually been a fan while any of my non-existant favorite bands called it quits.

in the last several months a good number of bands i like have announced they're breaking up or have broken up. some local, some not.

:down:

even though "Under the Bushes, under the stars" was their last album that I really loved, it's still a shame

Back
Top Bottom