Grow Up Pedro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Pedro is the one at fault
By Dan Shaughnessy, Globe Columnist, 10/13/2003

This Red Sox-Yankee playoff, which could still be one for the ages, has at least temporarily deteriorated into a WWE steel-cage match. There's a rumor the Sox have hired Hells Angels to guard the Yankee bullpen tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Let's not forget that we are here because of the irresponsible actions of one man: Pedro Martinez.

Excluding the Paul Williams-Yankee bullpen ugliness (nobody ever knows who starts a barroom brawl, but it certainly seemed like the Yankees piled on once they had him down), Pedro's the one who got everybody into this mess. Which begs the question: How come Sox stars behave like babies when they are here, then mature when they go someplace else?

Which one would you rather have now, Sox fans? Roger Clemens -- who kept his composure and behaved like a professional Saturday night, winning the game for his team despite his obvious anger? Or Pedro, the baby who hits a guy after he blows a lead, then points at his head and at Yankee catcher Jorge Posada, threatening "you're next"?

Pedro said a few words yesterday and claimed that gesture was actually him telling Posada that he'll remember Posada's angry words. Sure. And he wasn't trying to hit Karim Garcia. And those young women hang out with Donald Trump because they really dig his hair.

Sox fans don't like to hear this, but Pedro was an embarrassment and a disgrace to baseball Saturday. He gets away with it because he's Pedro. And the Sox front office enables him, just as they do Manny Ramirez. Just as they did with Roger when he was here and Yaz when he was here and Ted when he was here.

The tail still wags the dog around here. The Sox have no control over their stars. That's the way it was for Clemens when he was here. Roger had to go elsewhere to grow up. And we all know it took a while.

Everyone in baseball knows what Pedro was doing in the fourth inning. He'd blown a 2-0 lead. The Yankees were kicking him around Fenway. The old magic was gone and no doubt he was frustrated. It can't be fun knowing your team is 9-15 when you start against the Yankees. So what did he do? With first base empty and a righty on deck, he threw a pitch behind Garcia, grazing him in the shoulder.

Then it got worse. After Garcia's slide into second baseman Todd Walker, and angry words with Pedro, the Yankees and Sox started coming out of their dugouts and Pedro made his outrageous threats. (Oh, I forgot, it wasn't a threat. He was actually telling Posada he needed a haircut.)

No. This was: You're next. I'll hit you in the head, too.

Pretty brave stuff when you never have to bat. Pretty good way to take the attention away from the fact your skills are declining and you have trouble beating this team.Notice how none of Pedro's teammates have rushed to his defense? When he puts that tape around his locker, it's as if he's putting himself on his own island in his own clubhouse.

It's interesting that the $17.5 million, 14-game winner is always talking about respect, yet his actions provoke baseball people to lose respect for him. More now than ever. The stuff still plays pretty well when he throws those four-hit shutouts, but there haven't been many of those lately. His ERA and strikeout ratios are still great, but he wore down in both Oakland games and had nothing when it counted against the Yankees. Do Sox fans still feel good about him as their Game 7 starter? Maybe. But not like before.

The weird part is that Clemens was often a big baby when he played here. He wanted everything his way. He distanced himself from teammates. He didn't pitch well in the postseason. Ownership gave him a long leash. His self-immolation in the fourth game of the 1990 playoffs was a complete disgrace. But now he's equal parts Audie Murphy, Winston Churchill, and Cy Young. Why couldn't he have been that guy when he was here? And why can't Pedro be that guy now?

This isn't about Pedro's non-takedown of Don Zimmer. Martinez had little choice in that matter. He was being charged. The photos look bad, but it's unfair to rip Pedro for Zimmer's misbehavior.

But how come Zimm's the only one apologizing around here? Could Pedro one time stand up and admit he's wrong (angry e-mailers get back -- I already admitted I was wrong about David Ortiz)? He can't admit he threw at Garcia, no one ever does that, but could he apologize for losing his head when he pointed to his head? No. He has to reinvent the gesture.

Maybe it doesn't matter to Sox fans, but that fuzzy Cubs-Red Sox World Series may not be America's dream matchup anymore. The Red Sox have done a lot of damage to themselves in the last two days and last night's ridiculous press conference featuring John W. Henry, Tom Werner, and Larry Lucchino only contributed to the madness. In violation of the commissioner's order (don't these guys remember that Bud Selig ordered bagman John Harrington to deliver the team to them?) the three amigos stood up and defended everything that happened Saturday, including Pedro's obvious head-hunting.

The new baby Pedro apparently needs demons in order to perform at his best. Throughout this year, he has found imaginary enemies to inspire his talents. His big complaint is always "lack of respect."

His critics are no longer imaginary. Now that they are real, maybe he'll be the pitcher the Sox need in Game 7.

Zimmer is a prick. I'd like to kick all the Yankees asses.

Eventhough a friend of mine has played for the yankees a few times this year... I still hate them.

"Roger had to go elsewhere to grow up"????
Is Bozo Shaugnessy suggesting Clemens has grown up because of 1 game where he didn't go off his noodle.
Remember Roger threw a bat barrell at Mike Piazza not so long ago. His excuse "I thought it was the ball"...OK Rog, since when do you throw a fielded ground ball at the batter? Why didn't you throw the bat to Tino Martinez?

None of these overpaid overgrown boys are really "grown up", especially Clemens and Manny, thats the unfortunate nature of today's athlete.

Also interesting that Bozo conveniently says "excluding the Paul Williams-Yankee bullpen ugliness".
Yeah we should just overlook that Bozo. Nelson and Garcia are merely alter boys who had a bad night, and Pedro is the only bad guy on the field.

gherman said:
Zimmer is a prick. I'd like to kick all the Yankees asses.

Eventhough a friend of mine has played for the yankees a few times this year... I still hate them.

Isn't Mr. Henson going back to football next year? I saw him when the Yankees played the White Sox at the end of the season but by then the reports were that he was going to play football again.

he should... no offense.

i will never forgive roger clemens for what he's done in the past. remember, i am a met fan...
bean_piazza.jpg

... but roger had nothing to do with this entire incident. this entire fiasco started over pedro martinez. i'll say this about roger... he'll throw at you after a big homerun, if you're digging in to tight to the plate, if you've taken him deep one too many times (as in the case of piazza). throwing at people is part of the game... always has been. roger does cross the line, though, when he throws at people's heads. pedro seems to only throw at people's heads, and he does it for no reason whatsoever. he'll throw at someone's head as a substitute for intentionaly walking someone or throwing around them. and not only does he throw at them, he then taunts them. he's a dick, and should come back to the national league where he'd have to face his in the batter's box... i have a feeling he wouldn't be as eager to throw at someone's head if he himself had to then face the music the next inning (same goes for roger).

manny ramirez is a real big man... let me tell ya'. he over-reacts to a tense situation when clemens' fastball didn't even come close to his head, and then instead of just charging roger, he brings his bat with him. good job tough guy. and wouldn't ya know... the very next pitch, after the mele is settled, manny bails out on a swinging strike three that was about 2 inches outside. this is the same man who sat out a crucial late season series with the yankees 'cause he had those deadly "flu like symptoms," yet was caught later that same night having drinks with a yankee's reliever in a hotel bar. there's the red sox problems... yeah you mgiht have brought in some tougher guys... cowboy up woo friggin hoo whatever... but your two key players, pedro and manny, are a couple of bitches who look for a way out come the first sign of trouble.

if a 72 year old man charges at me, unless he did something to my family, i'm not fighting him back. and if you can't get away from a 72 year old overweight man with a steel plate in his head without tossing him head first into the ground, then you are a pansy. and if you're not a pansy, then you're just an asshole.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if a 72 year old man charges at me, unless he did something to my family, i'm not fighting him back. and if you can't get away from a 72 year old overweight man with a steel plate in his head without tossing him head first into the ground, then you are a pansy. and if you're not a pansy, then you're just an asshole.

So you're suggesting he should have run away? How would that look? "Pedro flees from 72 year-old overweight man with steel plate in head". He'd be mocked relentlessly. He did exactly what he should have done. Zimm charged, Pedro ended the "fight" without causing much damage to Zimmer. Pedro could have punched him in the face...then what would we be saying. The guy was just knocked to the ground and got a cut on his head. Boo hoo. If Pedro had have punched him or kicked him or whatnot or actually injured the man, yes I could understand the backlash. But all it was was the guy got knocked down, cut his head, and Pedro won quickly and decisively without hurting Zimmer. It could have been worse.

And anyways, people are forgetting that none of this would have happened if Don Zimmer hadn't taken a run at Pedro in the first place.

Think about it.

Dave,

The grow up had to do with him throwing at garcia which ultimately was the root cause of the entire debacle!

Hewson said:

None of these overpaid overgrown boys are really "grown up", especially Clemens and Manny, thats the unfortunate nature of today's athlete.

Exactly. I've been out of town and didn't see the whole sick incident, but obviously there's no excuse in the world to go after a 72 year old man like that. It made me ashamed of the Red Sox.

Rivalry aside, they should all just grow up, and have some dignity and class.

Pedro should have gone into the stands after Bennifer instead ;) :wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:

Exactly. I've been out of town and didn't see the whole sick incident, but obviously there's no excuse in the world to go after a 72 year old man like that. It made me ashamed of the Red Sox.

Rivalry aside, they should all just grow up, and have some dignity and class.

Pedro should have gone into the stands after Bennifer instead ;) :wink:

Wait a minute....

Pedro DID NOT go after the 72 year old man. The 72 Year old man went after Pedro full speed ahead throwing a left hook. Pedro had every right to defend himself.

Vote: Sox-Yanks Fireworks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SportsNation

Thank you for voting. See below for the results from across SportsNation.

Your responses in bold text below.

1) Which team are you rooting for?

55.5% Red Sox

37.6% Yankees

6.9% Neither

2) What best describes what happened on Saturday?

57.2% Disgraceful

42.8% Entertaining

3) Did Pedro Martinez intentionally throw at Karim Garcia?

80.9% Yes

19.1% No

4) How would you describe Garcia's slide into Todd Walker at second base?

52.4% Too late and malicious

47.6% Just part of the game

5) How would you describe Roger Clemens' high-and-inside pitches to Manny Ramirez and Kevin Millar?

60.0% Just pitching inside

40.0% Sending a message

6) Did Ramirez overreact to Clemens' pitch?

87.9% Yes

12.1% No

7) What is your opinion of the skirmish between Pedro Martinez and Don Zimmer?

62.1% Martinez was only defending himself.

37.9% Throwing a 72-year-old man to the ground is inexcusable.

8) Based on what you know, what's your opinion of the bullpen incident in the ninth inning?

57.9% The Yankees viciously attacked a Boston fan for his exuberance.

42.1% The Yankees were rightly protecting themselves.

9) What was the worst incident on Saturday?

28.5% The bullpen incident

24.9% Pedro's throwing down Zimmer

18.4% Zimmer's lunge at Pedro

15.2% Pedro's pitch to Garcia

10.4% Ramirez' reaction to Clemens' pitch

1.9% Garcia's slide against Walker

0.6% Clemens' pitch to Ramirez

10) What do you expect in Games 4 and 5?

71.1% Calmer heads

28.9% More of the same

Total Votes: 52,937

Dreadsox said:

7) What is your opinion of the skirmish between Pedro Martinez and Don Zimmer?

62.1% Martinez was only defending himself.

37.9% Throwing a 72-year-old man to the ground is inexcusable.

Did Pedro really feel threatened by a 72 year old man? I think not. I only dislike Sammy Sosa more than Martinez...

pedro was damned if he did, damned if he didnt

if he got decked by a 72 year old man, then he was the guy who got beat up by an old geezer

if he defended himself, which he did, people say he beat up an old man

he is a bit of a punk, but i dont think he did anything too wrong here

It didn't look to me in any of the clips I saw that Zimmer was throwing a left hook, or about to. In any case, there's such a thing as "being the bigger man", in this case a man less than half Zimmer's age. And of losing your gigantic ego (which I think Pedro *might* have :D) And what is the story w/ that groundskeeper?

It's just a matter of opinion I guess :) It's sickening the way the media is hyping all of this, but that's just entertainment of course :yawn:

The game is starting, so it's time to prepare for heartbreak :(

I just wish they wouldn't show Bennifer :scream:

nbcrusader said:
Zimmer only did it for the drama - this wasn't about a fight, it was about posturing in front of the other team

Coach Zimmer was having flashbacks about being struck in the head himself; the rumor is that he has a steel plate in his head; he doesn't, he only had evidence of where the screws were...obviously, a few must be loose by now....but, he was sympathetic to his guys getting hit just like he was a hundred years ago...

And another thing, I did some research...I checked the Civil War indices and found that Nathan Foster, a Confederate soldier, while running toward a troop of Northern infantryman, was the first to yell at the top of his lungs "Yankees suck" back in 1863,,,

By the way, the word has it that Foster was shot dead in his tracks ...anyway..!

Boston in 7...

This just in...further checking revealed that Nathan Foster was married to a Mrs. Garcia, whose descendents included Sanchez, Gomez, Lopez and Sarabia....hmmmm????

Its also written that the original saying was Jankees Suck!!!!

:lmao:

I am also related to a General; General Pancho Villa himself!!!

No chit! General Pancho Villa is my grand, grand Tio from the Pueblo de Chihuahua Mexico..

if he were alive, he was also say Jankees Suck!!!

i've seriously seen it in replays too many times this weekend to know what to think anymore. everything from hearing the game broadcasted on a ny station with pro-yankee commentating to the espn-cam thing showing zimmer running around the back of the crowd on the field to find pedro. i was happy to see the sox win tonight, that's all i know.

wtf does this have to w/ the yankees/sox match?

like a group of 8 year olds yelling yankees suck at a UMASS/UCONN hockey game, abosultly nothing...

i dunno... i find it tough to believe that nelson just up and decided to attack a fenway groundscrew member for no reason what-so-ever :shrug: that's just me.

i worked home events staff durring college. for football games, i was normally a ball boy on the opposing team's sideline, tossing footballs to the ref and stuff. first thing they told you before the game was to keep your loyalties aside and do not get involved in any rooting, fighting, etc. with the other team. i had no problem with this whatsoever, 'cause when you're standing next to a 350 pound O-lineman, ya' don't really wanna piss him off by rooting for the team he's trying to beat. that's besides the whole issue of class and acting professionaly.

if this guy was waving a towel and rooting heavily for the red sox INSIDE the yankees bullpen, then I don't blame nelson one bit for confronting him and telling him to ask. now what happened from there... who threw the first punch? that's all hearsay... if the guy did stop and nelson kept pursuing him and further instigated a situation that could have been handled differently, then i agree... charge him. but it seems that all the witnesses are a bit partial... the boston people all say the yankees were at fault, the yankee people all say the groundskeeper was at fault. unless we have a camera in the bullpen, i guess we'll never know for sure.

as for karim garcia, he shouldn't be blaimed for anything. as a former athlete i can say this for sure... if i all of a sudden turned around and saw one of my teammates in a fight, especially that close to what had become an unruly crowd... i'm jumping in and helping him first, thinking about it later. you always defend your teammates.

and back onto zim and pedro... zimmer was in the wrong for charging pedro like that. he let his emotions get ahold of him, and as a coach he's not allowed to do that. and he has since appologized for his part. on the other hand... pedro instigated the ENTIRE incident by hitting garcia, then threatening to bean posada in the head with a fastball, and has yet to even say a word, let alone appologize. and i still say that anyone who can't stop a 72 year old man from charging without tossing him head first to the ground is a pansy-ass. yeah... he coulda slugged him, and that woulda been worse. but he also could have just held him back until zim either got ahold of his emotions or was pulled away by torre or someone else. buyt hey, that's just me

Back
Top Bottom