Gretzky Surpasses Lemieux In Career Points Per Game Average

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Even when he's not playing he's still breaking records! He now has 62 records. Lemieux has slowed down enough that his PPG average has dipped down to 1.91 (1,701 points in 889 games), which is lower than Gretzky's career PPG average of 1.92 (2,857 in 1,487 games). Granted, this could change again, but it just goes to show how close they were and how ridiculous the argument was.

Now hopefully the PPGA argument can be tossed out the window when trying to prove Lemieux the better player. I don't mind people saying Lemieux was better, but to use this argument was silly at best. Never mind that Gretzky played 5 more seasons and had a better PPG average over their prime years. Ah, the irony of it all.

Lemieux is an amazing player, and let's leave it that. He won't be around much longer, which is a shame, so let's enjoy him while we can. I remember people forgetting to do that with Gretzky, and now they're kicking themselves.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. :sexywink:

People tend to say Orr was the best because he was amazing for 10 seasons before his career was cut short due to injury. And so the argument goes, "He only played for 10 years - can you imagine how great he would have been if..." So this is what I say: Imagine if Gretzky's career came to a sudden end due to injury after 10 short seasons. What he did was nothing short of mind boggling.

Let's examine his first 10 years in the league:

* 9 Hart Trophies
* 8 Scoring titles (his first year he tied, but Dionne was awarded the title because he scored 2 more goals)
* 4 Stanley Cups
* 49 NHL records
* Four 200 point seasons
* became the all time leading scorer by the age of 28

Within 10 years, Gretzky had become the all time leading scorer (it took How 26 years), won 9 Harts, 8 scoring titles. It would have been looked at as the most amazing career in NHL history, bar none, and we would have all been standing around lamenting on how his brilliant career came to a tragic end.

hakan loob was more elite than all of them put together.

he just chose to repress it.

Back
Top Bottom