Green Day's American Idiot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IWasBored - I take back my apology towards you. You may not be bashing it bacause you are a Bush supporter, but your attitude is much worse. You have not heard the album. There are 2 overtly political songs on it (American Idiot and Holiday), the rest are more about dealing with the current state of America. It is much more social, than political.

Green Day has a right to express how they feel. Yeah, they sang about masturbation 10 years ago. So what? They have grown up, maybe you should as well.

hey, i already said i haven't heard anymore than just the song. i know that. i'm just saying based on THAT ONE SONG. i made that clear from my first post. it's too bad that your selective reading caused you to miss it.

i was going to add that the reason the bandwagon-hopping bothers me is because none of these bands seem to be addressing what's wrong with bush as a president, they're just latching onto an easy chant "bush sucks." it especially bothers me when i know there are other bands out there making similar comments, yet actually addressing what's wrong instead of calling the country a nation of idiots. now, do i have to say again that i haven't heard the rest of the album, or did you get that part yet?

Last edited:
bsp77 said:

Green Day has a right to express how they feel. Yeah, they sang about masturbation 10 years ago. So what? They have grown up, maybe you should as well.

i didn't say they couldn't express what they wanted. i just said i don't like the way they appear to be going about it.

another thing. 'american idiot' is the single, these other overtly political songs are not going to be heard by the general non-green day cd-buying public. so even if they are writing songs that i could respect, i end up respecting them even less for not having the balls to release one of those songs as a lead single.

No, I got that you only heard the one song the first time, which makes your posts about them only more ignorant.

This really is a useless argument, which I was done with and had even apologized about. But when you start telling people to f off when they are trying to have a debate, that is just wrong.

This will be my last comment about this, it is wasting my time. I will comment about the album however, if this thread ever moves back in that direction.

1. Greenday have never been relevant. At their best they were "fun". But they never pushed any boundaries
2. Not all music is relevant otherwise you'd hear people citing Robert Wagner as an influence. And some music just contributes to the increasingly diseased music scene.
3. American Idiot is probably one of the most formulaic and contrived songs of the year. They'll give nickleback a run for their money in that arena.

These are facts.
do not dispute

i fail to see how my posts are ignorant when i clearly stated they are concerning that one song, and only that one song.

it's a useless arguement in the sense that all internet arguements are useless.

i don't recall "telling anyone off" for trying to have a debate. is that what arguing a differing opinion is being called these days?

nice. that's what i love about arguements on the internet. it's so easy to delude yourself, thinking you have the last word.

IWasBored said:
eddie vedder loves his soap box, last election wasn't he doing things like leading chants of 'nader! nader!' (who's name i suddenly can't remember how to spell...nader...nadar...shit...) and between-song-banter-ing about hanging out with some friends in northampton, MA talking about politics?

i'll have to give ya a :up: on this one... i'm a big pearl jam fan but eddie's been quite the hypocrite this election, basicly all but ignoring nader as the democrats push to get him off the ballot, while throwing all his support behind the "Vote For Change" tour to elect Kerry.

gdjk.jpg

IWasBored said:

1. fat mike isn't influential? what rock do you live under? fat wreck chord is the second largest punk rock label out there now, and he's arguably more infuential than brett guerewitz at epitaph.

2. most of these kids are 15, 16 they can't vote anyway. or if they are 18 and older, they're all over the internet saying that they will shell out 10 bucks for rock against bush II, but won't be voting cos they still don't believe their vote counts.

2a. i'm all for voter awareness. i like the idea behind this stuff i'm complaining about, i just don't like the fact that all of a sudden it's the "in" thing to do, be on one of these comps or do a tour for punkvoter.org. no, i don't know what the bands themselves think, and i don't recall claiming to.

1. I do not live under a rock, I am open with my opinions and I feel that Fat mike is not influential. I think people will make up their minds 'cause of what they honestly think, not 'cause what someone has told them. Secondly, I do not care who is bigger than who, that is not the issue on the plat right now. Each to their own when it comes to personal influences whether it be musical or political.

2. Since when have you become such an expert on musical demographic? They may not be old enough to vote but they are old enough to learn and understand and be informed in a medium in which they will respond and listen. Those 16 year olds will be 20 by the time the next election comes around (after the current one) and they need to be informed for the future. "they're all over the internet saying that they will shell out 10 bucks for rock against bush II, but won't be voting cos they still don't believe their vote counts" I agree with you on that point, you can't put money if you do not believe or understand the cause but not all kids are like that, they are smarter than some of us give them credit for.

IWasBored said:

fuck manners, this is the internet, and you appear to be trying to pick a fight with me.

i'm not saying that it's good when people tell each other to fuck off left and right and hide behind the computer screen, but sometimes u2 fans really take things way too personally. no need to get offended by every little thing i say.

I don't pick fights with people, I just respond to posted opinions. I do not take things personally and I am a U2 fan. I just like a good discussion.

well I don't have time to read all that but may i just say Greenday just made one person in the universe very happy. They were in Australia several months ago for a tour but unfortunately the drummer tripped getting out og the tarago and broke his ankle. Tour cancelled.
They said they would return. My niece had tickets. She went along and saw the long awaited show about 3 weeks ago. She said, "you know how good I thought the Greenday concert was going to be.......well times that by 1000")
happy customer:)

I don't own any of their albums, but my son pays one of their songs on his acoustic guitar ( yes that one, the one EVERYONE plays) and I like that:up:

sorry I can't read all that. I get the impression some people really don't like them.
I wrote that for anyone who might like to know...they rocked Oz:)

IWasBored said:
i fail to see how my posts are ignorant

it's a useless arguement in the sense that all internet arguements are useless.

i don't recall "telling anyone off" for trying to have a debate.

nice. that's what i love about arguements on the internet. it's so easy to delude yourself, thinking you have the last word.

Go back and read your replies to me, you told me to F-off for stating an opinion when I was just trying to have a discussion.

The only person trying to delude themselves for the last word is you my friend :)

"it's a useless arguement in the sense that all internet arguements are useless."
My favorite...if you think that this is useless, than why did you state your opinion to begin with? Did you think you were not going to get any responses?

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i'll have to give ya a :up: on this one... i'm a big pearl jam fan but eddie's been quite the hypocrite this election, basicly all but ignoring nader as the democrats push to get him off the ballot, while throwing all his support behind the "Vote For Change" tour to elect Kerry.

I like PJ to but hypocricy has annoyed me as well.

isabelle_guns said:

1. I do not live under a rock, I am open with my opinions and I feel that Fat mike is not influential. I think people will make up their minds 'cause of what they honestly think, not 'cause what someone has told them. Secondly, I do not care who is bigger than who, that is not the issue on the plat right now. Each to their own when it comes to personal influences whether it be musical or political.

2. Since when have you become such an expert on musical demographic? They may not be old enough to vote but they are old enough to learn and understand and be informed in a medium in which they will respond and listen. Those 16 year olds will be 20 by the time the next election comes around (after the current one) and they need to be informed for the future. "they're all over the internet saying that they will shell out 10 bucks for rock against bush II, but won't be voting cos they still don't believe their vote counts" I agree with you on that point, you can't put money if you do not believe or understand the cause but not all kids are like that, they are smarter than some of us give them credit for.

1. that's an optimistic view. i'm not an optimist.

2. i'm not an expert, but i do consider myself a lot more knowledgeable on the genre of punk rock than the majority of the people here. it's an observation made on a few years of going to a lot shows locally, as well as some in other parts of the state. the majority of the bands i've put into this category of bandwagon-hopping pop-punk losers are playing to the MTV-watching suburbanite crowd--teenagers, high school kids. i go to all ages shows, and i start to feel old. i have to make sure i don't trample 13 year old kids in the pit. just because i've been on this site all day, and spend a fair amount of time online doesn't mean i don't leave the house. i get out, i get out plenty.

yes, a 16 year old will reach 18 at some point in his or her life, but were you the same person you were at 16 when you were 20? i wouldn't have wanted my 16 year old self informing important decisions i've had to make in the last couple years. chances are their music taste will evolve (plenty of "punk" kids in high school turn "indie" in college. how do i know? i've seen it. i go to a goddamn college, i've seen it) i don't think that arguement is particularly relevent to this discussion.

no, i said "hey, i KNOW music is 100% about personal taste, but i'm an elitist snob, so yeah, i do do shit like that. and if you don't like it, fuck you."

i didn't say "hey isabelle_guns, fuck off." that would have been a personal attack whereas what i actually said was just a slightly more emphatic way of saying 'if you don't like my opinion i don't give a shit'. hey...maybe it's a punk rock thing and you just don't understand, but where i come from, that's what it means, it doesn't mean 'hey you, fuck off'.

isabelle_guns said:

The only person trying to delude themselves for the last word is you my friend :)

"it's a useless arguement in the sense that all internet arguements are useless."
My favorite...if you think that this is useless, than why did you state your opinion to begin with? Did you think you were not going to get any responses?

no, i'm not the one who ran off and said "this is the last thing i'm saying" despite the fact that i knew that would elicit repsonse.

i've got nothing but time to kill between classes and work today, nothing but gaps that need to be filled, and how better else but with a little mindless arguing online?

90% of the shit i say in this forum isn't read/replied to anyway, so i have to say yes, i didn't expect much of a response. i mean, seriously, have YOU ever read any of my threads?

C'mon ladies, this is not going to achieve anything.

I dont think this began at all as a personal issue, so please lets not end it as one. The passion you folk all have for music is what makes this lil BandC corner of Interf so great.

Lets not say "Fuck you" to anyone, and let's not drag these things out or turn them into anything more than a spirited heated debate over the music. Argue til we're all blue in the face over the music itself, just not each other, sound good?

/mary poppins style moderating

:wink:

IWasBored said:
no, i said "hey, i KNOW music is 100% about personal taste, but i'm an elitist snob, so yeah, i do do shit like that. and if you don't like it, fuck you."

i didn't say "hey isabelle_guns, fuck off." that would have been a personal attack whereas what i actually said was just a slightly more emphatic way of saying 'if you don't like my opinion i don't give a shit'. hey...maybe it's a punk rock thing and you just don't understand, but where i come from, that's what it means, it doesn't mean 'hey you, fuck off'.

If only you really knew me, you wouldn't be saying that. I know a lot more about punk rock than you think, I am also not a snob when it comes to music but I appreciate you admitting your vice.

IWasBored said:

no, i'm not the one who ran off and said "this is the last thing i'm saying" despite the fact that i knew that would elicit repsonse.

i've got nothing but time to kill between classes and work today, nothing but gaps that need to be filled, and how better else but with a little mindless arguing online?

90% of the shit i say in this forum isn't read/replied to anyway, so i have to say yes, i didn't expect much of a response. i mean, seriously, have YOU ever read any of my threads?

Yes I have actually but wanted to reply to this one. I pay attention to a lot of people here 'cause I am a people person and people in general interest me.

Angela Harlem said:
C'mon ladies, this is not going to achieve anything.

I dont think this began at all as a personal issue, so please lets not end it as one. The passion you folk all have for music is what makes this lil BandC corner of Interf so great.

Lets not say "Fuck you" to anyone, and let's not drag these things out or turn them into anything more than a spirited heated debate over the music. Argue til we're all blue in the face over the music itself, just not each other, sound good?

/mary poppins style moderating

:wink:

alright, i'll quit it out of respect for you (and the rest of the mods).

isabelle_guns said:

All music is relevant. No they were not done after Dookie, they released a few more albums after that, sold well and had airplay with a few more singles. BTW please explain to me the meaning behind relevance 'cause I hate it when people make comments like, "are they relevant" without knowing exactly what they are talking about. A band is a band who makes music for people that enjoy them.

I was being sarcastic :wink:
I am very aware that they still released more albums after Dookie, I just think all their albums besides Dookie are kind of boring and unoriginal.
By the meaning of relevance, I guess I just meant they were huge back when I was in high school everyone was listening to Greenday (I was), so I'm just wondering who still listens to them.

I like Green Day a lot and I like American Idiot but I don't necessarily agree with the politics of it. They can do whatever they want, I just want good music

Back
Top Bottom