Green Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ozeeko said:
I'm a little ticked off that Green Day won for Record Of The Year. The damn album has been out for two years. They said it themselves in their acceptance speech. I realize it's one of their later singles...but in all fairness there should be a one year cut-off. I wish Gorillaz won in that category. Them being a virtual animated band, I think a lot of people would've been interested in seeing who's the brains behind the project. Also I'm a huge Blur fan. As for Green Day, I liked them much more when they were writing teen-age slacker anthems (Longview) rather than this political shit. I doubt they would've even been noticed for that album without playing the political angle.

Their album has been out for 17 months now, not 2 years. The song they won Record of the Year for was released after September 30, 2004 making it eligible for the February 2006 Grammy awards.

The eligibility period for the February 2006 Grammy awards is from October 1, 2004 to September 30, 2005. Any recording released during that time period of exactly 1 year is eligible for the February 8, 2006 awards ceremony.

love_u2_adam said:

omg i like politics and umm i get told off by the punks in my school that i am a loser cause politics sucks....so you can call me a idiot and a dumb ass all you want cause i dont give a damn any more:mad: and i do lisen to the clash and other punk bands its just green day is a teen band!!

here, read up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punk_ideology

barlowdog said:

I'm being sarcastic.

Everyone should stop pickin' on love_U2_Adam. It's sleepy time.

that's what i thought. okay, good. i was worried.

i'm not actually picking on her. i wanted to read her posts, i just needed a translator.

IWasBored said:

relax, i haven't called you an idiot yet.

i know you know that. i saw your thread about bad spelling before it was deleted. i'd just like to hear more about these punks who think that politics have nothing to do with the style of music, and i'd like to be able to read it.

ya well they lisen to "punk"music and its not even punk..it couldnt hold a candle to the clash or the sex pistols or any good punk band....and the "punks" at my school are posers....and i know that...i dont look like a punk but i enjoy the music...but i dont like green day cause they dont sound or look like the sex pistols and that is what i think punk is!!

I think the almighty punk Bono once said that "punk is just being yourself' or something like that.

the sex pistols were actually a boy band with saftey pins and swastika tshirts.

i was hoping for an answer like "they have dead kennedys' patches on their jackets, but they don't realize that jello biafra is the most annoyingly political person in the history of music." what do they listen to? i've been out of high school for a while.

barlowdog said:
I think the almighty punk Bono once said that "punk is just being yourself' or something like that.

yeah, but he's from venus so he doesn't count.

IWasBored said:
the sex pistols were actually a boy band with saftey pins and swastika tshirts.

i was hoping for an answer like "they have dead kennedys' patches on their jackets, but they don't realize that jello biafra is the most annoyingly political person in the history of music." what do they listen to? i've been out of high school for a while.

the used...my cemical romance....ummm i dont know those are the 2 shity "punk" bands i know, cause i dont lisen to the mtv stuff i like pink floyd and led zeppelin and that stuff!!and i think the sex pistols are punk not a boy band

american idiot is the best album released in the 2000s thus far.

wether or not billy joe armstrong is hotter with or without long hair and makeup is utterly meaningless.

if u2 can win awards in 2 straight years for "bomb"... so can green day for an album that blows "bomb" away.

i don't really care if anyone thinks it's "unhip" because they had videos on MTV and songs on "pop" radio. the album is fucking great.

that said, i would have went with gold digger for record of the year... that was one catchy ass song.

Last edited:
love_u2_adam said:

the used...my cemical romance....ummm i dont know those are the 2 shity "punk" bands i know, cause i dont lisen to the mtv stuff i like pink floyd and led zeppelin and that stuff!!and i think the sex pistols are punk not a boy band

the sex pistols were assembled, not organic. they were essentially packaged rebellion, a commodity to be sold by a manager. i'm not saying they're not an integral part of punk rock history, because that's like saying the beatles had no influence rock n roll. nevermind the bollocks is still a classic and an excellent album. my opinion on the used is that they should be shot and returned to utah ASAP.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
american idiot is the best album released in the 2000s thus far.

wether or not billy joe armstrong is hotter with or without long hair and makeup is utterly meaningless.

if u2 can win awards in 2 straight years for "bomb"... so can green day for an album that blows "bomb" away.

i don't really care if anyone thinks it's "unhip" because they had videos on MTV and songs on "pop" radio. the album is fucking great.

that said, i would have went with gold digger for record of the year... that was one catchy ass song.

i don't think American Idiot was better than HTDAAB. it may just be personal opinion, but i love both bands, and i just think that AI had a few songs that they could have tossed out.

love_u2_adam said:
since when did politics become "COOL" to punks.....

most. ignorant. comment. ever.

seriously, as much as i hate green day, i have no choice now but to go and buy all their records to protest what you 7ust said.

there's no other way, unfortunately.

i mean come on.

love_u2_adam said:
^^yes we did...you dont like them right...i do..im consevitive :wink:

you're WHAT?

conservative?

so let me get this straight...you're into rebel music (so you say), and you consider your political leanings to be of that in line with the most ring-wing political party canada has ever elected in its history?

maybe you're kidding?

Zoomerang96 said:
thanks...i had a pretty good idea of what a conservative was though... :wink:

it wasn't for you. i mean, it was, but it was for you to give u2_adam_love when she...nevermind.

IWasBored said:

the sex pistols were assembled, not organic. they were essentially packaged rebellion, a commodity to be sold by a manager. i'm not saying they're not an integral part of punk rock history, because that's like saying the beatles had no influence rock n roll. nevermind the bollocks is still a classic and an excellent album.

Bingo. And truth be told, John Lydon is occasionally an interesting songwriter, though his work with P.I.L. was usually more expressive and well-written. But, packaged or not, the Pistols had more punch. It'd be interesting to see what could have happened if Glen Matlock, the only musical talent of the band, had not left and been replaced by Sid. Sure, Sid had the image that probably gave the Pistols their iconic status, but they might have actually made more interesting music and maybe transcended the artificiality of their origin. Well, shit. Here I go on a pistols rant. This is not a Pistols thread. Bah. Sorry.

it should be a pistols thread, though!

it would make up for my last street dogs thread turning into a green day thread. if you want to talk about punk rock, the street dogs are as real as it gets.

i think as soon as this joe cocker albums finishes, i'll go listen to nevermind the bollocks.

Back
Top Bottom