Greatest Sports Person Of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr Brady, if you last in the league for another 6 years and win another ring or two, you could indeed be one of the greatest like your childhood hero, Joe Montana.
For me the greatest sportmen/athlete is Bret "Hitman" Hart. Bret has been recognized as one the greatest World Champions worldwide.

Can you really be a champion in a "sport" that is scripted and choreographed? If Bret Hart is the greatest sportsman of all time, is Rocky Balboa 2nd?

Rocky could be second if he had 300 plus matches a year for 14 year period. The outcomes of the matches maybe scripted and the moves maybe choreographed, but the pain and the ahleticism of pro wrestling is very real.

Well what about a word for CB Fry?

- Captain of England and Sussex Cricket teams. Never lost a Test as England captain. 94 centuries, including an unbettered six consecutive first-class centuries in 1901.
- Equalled world long jump record, and won both long jump and 100 yards at Oxford v Yale in 1894.
- Played amateur football with the Corinthians and later profesionally for Southampton, Portsmouth and England, going to an FA Cup final with the former in the 1901/1902 season.
- Played Rugby Union for Oxford University, Blackheath, and the Barbarians.

After graduating from Oxford Fry taught at Repton, became a delegate to the League of Nations and was offered the throne of Albania.

I'm sorry, but watching Federer just secure his 3rd Australian open title, the guy has to (or will have to) be considered in the same league as Gretzky and Bradman. To be as dominant and as brilliant as he has been in such a competitive and professional era of tennis, is absolutely amazing.

Federer is amazing, no doubt. I actually enjoy watching him play, and I'm no tennis devotee. I'll include him in the discussion when he starts breaking all-time records. For now, he's the best in the game, by far, and has set some smaller records...hell, he never lost a set at the Australian Open, first person since 1980 to do that in a major...but, hes' still 4 grand slams short of Pete...when he passes Pete....when he finally wins a French Open, then I'm willing to admit he should be mentioned with a Gretzky or a Jordan or some of the other athletes from sports I do not follow. Has anyone tossed Carl Lewis or Jesse Owens or Mark Spitz out there? I mentioned Eric Heiden a few pages ago. I might be the only person advocating for Olympians. :) I wonder how many people in here know who Jim Thorpe was.

Jim Thorpe was a Native American gridiron player right, who developed his abilities at the school (or now, army barracks) in Carlisle?

What was so great about him?

intedomine said:
Jim Thorpe was a Native American gridiron player right, who developed his abilities at the school (or now, army barracks) in Carlisle?

What was so great about him?

"Jim" Thorpe (Sac and Fox Nation: Wa-Tho-Huk) (May 28, 1887 – March 28, 1953) is considered one of the most versatile athletes in modern sports. He won Olympic gold medals in the pentathlon and decathlon, starred in college and professional football, played Major League Baseball and also had a career in basketball. He subsequently lost his Olympic titles when it was found he had played two seasons of minor league baseball prior to competing in the games (thus violating the amateur status rules). In 1983, thirty years after his death, his medals were restored.

MrPryck2U said:
Rocky could be second if he had 300 plus matches a year for 14 year period. The outcomes of the matches maybe scripted and the moves maybe choreographed, but the pain and the ahleticism of pro wrestling is very real.

Excuse my naivity but the impression some people give is that they think wrestling is real...please please tell me that is not the case. 300 matches. 300 x 20mins of preening, dancing, lubing make up distorting, humour and farce does not amount to any form of Sportsman in any sense whatsoever.

Wayne Gretzky has the record for having the most records. He has 61 of them. If you removed every one of his goals, of which he was the all time leader, he still the all time scoring leader based on his assists alone. Four 200 point seasons. 13 straight 100 point seasons or more. 50 goals in 39 games in 1982. 163 assists in 1986. All time playoff scoring leader as well. Highest points per game average - and he did it over a 20 year career. 4 Stanley Cups. 9 MVPs (8 consecutive).....you could go on and on and on.....

Pelé is in need of some love here! 1200+ goals, 3 World Cups, first one when he was 17, the most amazing goals ever. And I could go on and on. All this in the most competitive and popular sport in the world.

Last edited:
Hey we've moved onto the 'sports entertainers' of pro wrestling. Can I nominate He Hate Me, next?

Back
Top Bottom