Greatest Sporting Rivalry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There must be some intense ice hockey rivalries?

Borg -v- MacEnroe?
Conners -v- MacEnroe?

Hagler -v- Leonard?

Benn -v- Eubank?

Europe -v- USA - Ryder cup - quite intense and appears to be getting more so with increasing amount of bad sportsmanship from the USA (fans and players alike!).

Oxford -v- Cambridge Boat Race?

Must be some great motor racing rivalries aswell!

Canada vs U.S.S.R in ice hockey used to be a brutal rivalry.

zepher25 said:
im talking in general whats the biggest international sporting rivalry and why any sport, Do Isralies and Plaistinians play sport against each other?

I know there have been instances of Muslims of various other countries refusing to compete against Israeli athletes. I'm not sure if there have been any boycotts in the other direction.

Stuff like this is really sad. Rivalries can be good, but it gets really stupid when people drag international politics into the sporting arena (and my own country, the USA, has been guilty of this in the past, as in 1980 when they boycotted the Summer Olympics in the USSR). Sports is supposed to be something that brings people together instead of driving them apart.

Last edited:
zepher25 said:

i didnt know that, i was estimating and seeing as im from melbourne i think rugby sucks

What does being from Melbourne have to do with you thinking rugby sucks? Hell, my Melbournian flatmate who plays AFL thinks rugby's just as good as AFL.

Just because you lot are AFL-mad doesn't mean you can't like other sports. In fact, just about every Melbournian I've ever met has loved almost every sport you throw in their direction and are generally the most enthusiastic people towards sport that I know.

i'm from Newcastle (australia) so i'm a bit of a league fan. Newcastle - Parramatta has always been pretty competitive and in terms of genral australian sport i'd say Australia VS The Kiwis is always fun to watch. Too bad their brain capacity doesn't allow for anything other then rubgy to sink in though otherwise it could get even better.

England v Germany - Football
Brazil v Argentina - Football
Senna v Prost - Formula 1 - (how F1 needs drivers like these nowadays)
Celtic v Rangers - Football
John McEnroe v Bjorn Bjorg - Tennis
England v Argentina - Football
India v Pakistan - Cricket

barcelona v real madrid
celtic v rangers
england v germany
auz v england ( cricket )
USSr v USA (hockey )
rocky v apollo :eyebrow:

England v scotla... Oops, sorry scrub that one, I was just having a flashback to a dim and distant time when the sweaty's were a relevant rival to England, sorry about that.

i didnt mean that everyone in melbourne hates rugby, but lots of people love AFL in melbourne and since NRL and AFL are kinda rival codes (execpt the NRL seems to have given up on penetrating victoria to a great extent, while the AFL goes after NSW and QLD) you know.

they certainly arnt going after victoria the way the AFL is going after NSW and QLD, besides having the 3rd origin match in melbourne is far more fair than having it in sydney or brisbane, neutural territory--but i spose the NRL has realised they will never be able to beat AFL support in Victoria, the other thing ive noticed about NRL is that the average crowd is like 16,000 or so, yet AFL matches average 25-30,000 attendance

AFL just shits all over rugby league. God, I cant stand league. I'm going to have a stroke if I keep writing. Best thing about Vic is their brilliant sport. Thank GOD at least one state knows how to invent a decent game.
:notworthy:

Rugby Union: Australia (Wallabies) v Britain and Irish Lions
New Zealand (All Blacks) v South Africa (Springboks)

Rugby League: Australia v New Zealand

Cricket: Australia v England

Netball: Australia v New Zealand

England Vs Argentina in football is pretty intense.

I've never been happier or more relieved after a football match than when england beat argentina 1-0 in the 2002 world cup :drool:

Back
Top Bottom