Greatest Ever Irish Sportsperson?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thought I'd start a discussion for any Irish Sports fan or any sports fan for that matter out there, about who everyone thinks is Irelands greatest sportsperson.

My vote has to go to Sonia O'Sullivan. Her record speaks for itself:

Olympic Silver
World Championship Gold & Silver
3 European Championship Gold's and 2 Silver's
2 World Cross-Country Championship Gold's & 2 Team Bronze's
World Indoor Silver
World Student Games Gold & Silver
European Cross-Country Championship Team Silver
World Cup Champion
5 Times Grand Prix Champion and once Runner-up
World Record Holder 2000m
European Record Holder 3000m (1994-2002)
Irish Record Holder at Every Distance from 800m to Half Marathon
2 BUPA Great North Run Titles
European Athlete Of The Year 1995
Track & Field News World Athlete Of The Year 1995

She also finished 4th & 6th in the Olympics. 4th in the World Championships (Behind 3 Chineese Drug Cheats), 4th in the European Cross-Country Championships and 4th in the World Half Marathon Championships.

There is a lot more, but I'm getting tired of typing! She has achieved pretty much everything except that elusive Olympic Gold. She wasn't far off it, she was unlucky.

Who would everyone else's vote go to?

babyman said:

Not just because he played for Aston Villa, right??

:wink:

that might have a bit to do with it but he is still the best defender I have ever seen play the game - better than adams, butcher, terry, ferdinand, allan evans, stam, nesta, etc etc

babyman said:
CKONE, I have a curiosity! Were you there in the stadium when Villa kicked Inter's ass at the penalties?

I have that match on video :wink:

I think Bergkamp was playing for Inter back then, wow that was a long time ago!

^ Still remember Ruben Sosa's penalty........................luck really abandoned him on that one.................................:(

:wink:

Bergkamp, my biggest regret..............he would have deserved more time and patience at Inter, but I'm very happy that he has shown to be the champion i have always thought he was, although at Arsenal

Back
Top Bottom