Google whacked - quick, do this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
Try this soon, before Google fixes its site:

1) Go to Google.com;

2) type in (but don't hit return): "weapons of mass destruction";

3) Hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button, instead of the normal "Google
search" button;

4) read what appears to be a normal error message carefully.

Angela Harlem said:
Has anyone clicked the links? Like if you're Donald Rumsfeld for example...

Yeah, they just take you to unrelated stuff at amazon.com.

If you type in " george dubya" and hit that i'm feeling lucky button again, you get some satire site of bush. I love the quote at the top...
Now I'm typing in random things because I am bored. Its amazing how much time some people have on their hands! (not me btw the freaks who make this crap up :D )

:shifty:

I believe the terminology is incorrect.

A Googlewhack is a series of words that yields exactly one hit when used as a google search.

You're thinking of a Google bomb:

http://www.microcontentnews.com/articles/googlebombs.htm

Googlebombing is perfectly legal. Just take your website, get a bazillion friends (e.g. bloggers) to link your website to theirs, and wait.

There's another Googlebomb by the same guy lampooning the New York Times (http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/blair.html) but I don't know precisely what search terms will make it pop up. (Howell Raines, Jayson Blair, plagiarism, etc.)

Last edited:
There was a story on this on the front page of the Yahoo news. :D

...No hacking was involved ? or necessary.

Anthony Cox, 34, of Birmingham, England, created the site in February to get a few chuckles from friends. Those friends ? and friends of their friends ? started linking to his page from their sites and Web diaries.

The number of links to a particular site is a major factor that Google considers when indexing pages to be returned via its search engine. The "lucky" button takes users to the top-ranked page for a particular search.

Cox, previously best known on the Web for his day job of studying drug safety, says he had no idea the page would reach the top of the list for WMD searches.

"It was really just a private joke among a few individuals and then I sent it off to a newsgroup," he said. "It just spread like wildfire throughout February. ... And then it started to die down during the war. During that time it had accumulated links from other Web sites, which pushed it up the Google page ranking system.

"Then it just went through the stratosphere in terms of hits," he said. "It became even more funny that Google couldn't find any WMD."

article here

Back
Top Bottom