Good Bye Mark Waugh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
What a sad loss to Australian and International cricket :sad:
My favourite player gone :sad:
We could have at least had him go out on a farewell game at Sydney for God's sake.
Cricket will never be the same for me again.
*sniff*

Yeah this sucks hey, we all knew it was imminent. but I didnt think it would happen this quickly, bummer, but still I cant wait for cricket season, although ti is going to be boring with the Poms and all- wont be much of a competition:)

yes he was a great player manda, but he knew it was time and respected the decision. His performance at the press conference today was memorable and he has won even more of my respect for how he handled it.

Of course it was time, but i still think the ACB could have shown him a little more respect.
Theyve done to so many now, so why would he be any different...
An amazing player whom ive had the pleasure of watching many, many times at the SCG.
He was fantastic at the press conference, Michael and held himself wonderfully. A lot more dignifed than one Kim Hughes.

He'll always remain my fave player and I shall miss seeing him bat while sitting in the Ladies Stand. My summers wont be the same.

Thanks for many years of wonderful memories Mr Waugh

BONO!

yes the end for 'bono'

if anyone ever saw him bowl you'd swear you saw Bono

i recall the Australian Wicketkeeper miked up calling him 'Bono' when he was bowling several times

Yes he was good at the press conference, but there really is no room for sentiment these days, you might recall Ian Healy's retirement, he was denied a final farewell game at the Gabba even though it was the 1st match of the summer! So in terms of respect he got as much as any other player, particularly when you take into account the fact that he was never dropped for even one match after 1993.

Mark Waugh's final career record could be seen as disappointing, to average 41 is by no means bad but with his talent you wonder why it wasnt say 4 or 5 runs better (bear in mind that someone like Greg Matthews managed to average 41 in his test career!). If you see Mike Coward's article in today's Australian I agree wholeheartedly.

Personally its a tragic event for me.I thought I'd see him play live in a test match....but as he so rightly said, there isnt much fairy tale in sports.

One of the best cover drives in the game
batsman1.jpg

The Big 3
cricket1.jpg

Who can forget the leg glances
mark_waugh.jpg

Last edited:
Mark Edward Waugh was the most natural and stylish batsmans you can imagine.

The most bad part of all this is that ACB considers Lehmann(32) to be a better player than M Waugh(37). I assume Lehmann made a lot of runs in domestic matches but a Test Match at international level is a different game altogether.

I have many fond memories of watching Mark on television for last 10-12 years...amazing and entertaining cricketer .. unbelieveable catching.

My tributes to the one the few most elegant players of our generation.

We will miss you Mark...

AcrobatMan

AcrobatMan said:
The most bad part of all this is that ACB considers Lehmann(32) to be a better player than M Waugh(37). I assume Lehmann made a lot of runs in domestic matches but a Test Match at international level is a different game altogether.

AcrobatMan

Sigh, i sincerely hope people don't turn on Lehmann cos of who he's replacing, he has done more to earn selection than anyone else in the game, Mark Waugh knows better than most how hard it is to get inot the test team, hed scored 7000 odd test runs at 50 plus b4 he got a chance. Lehmann had scored even more before his debut, and significantly he has been rated the best aussie batsman outside the test team for about ten years now, that's a bloody long time. People say test cricket is a step up, but gawd, if you don't give a guy like Lehmann a chance ahead of a faltering senior player then cricket is too cliquey and we might as well all give up.

Darren Lehmann has more than earned his spot.I am very happy that he has replaced Mark Waugh.Although Michael Clarke seems to be on right track along with Simon Katich, but Lehmann is the man of the middle order. There would be only two things against him

1 He has replaced an aussie legend
2 He isnt a Ricky Ponting in the field, this would be a big challenge for him in ODIs

But I wish him luck!

Now for Ashes, what I fail to understand why Matt Nicholson hasnt played much for Australia.Maybe is not very consistent, what d'you reckon brettig....cause he has raw speed and an effetive fast bowlers length?

ishkash said:
Personally its a tragic event for me.I thought I'd see him play live in a test match....but as he so rightly said, there isnt much fairy tale in sports.
I know that feeling
I might have to hurry up if I don't want too miss out on Steve too

Salome said:
I know that feeling
I might have to hurry up if I don't want too miss out on Steve too

If yer not careful the whole team will have retired by the time you get out here ;)

and Re: Matt Nicholson, he's had injury and a period a season or two ago when he could hardly land the ball on the square. If he can have a good home season for WA he's a chance of going to the West Indies in March 2003. at 28 he's got a few years on Andy Bichel and at the present time he's a more reliable wicket taker than Brett Lee...(can u tell im not a fan :D)

I think Australia's nex gen of batting line up ready.I saw some highlights of Michael Clarke, Simon Katich, Mike Hussey. They all look solid and I am sure they'd get the colors pretty soon. The in betweens like Jimmy Maher, Brad Hodge are quite competitive.So the batting looks quite solid for the future.

I am not too sure about the bowling. Brad Williams he is strong but nothing spectacular.Nathan Bracken can be a lefty McGrath, honestly the nex gen bowler is what I'd be worried about. I can't see anyone taking over the current as effective as compared to batting line up.

Lastly for Brett Lee, I think he is a type of bowler whom one has to carry a bit. I think its a bit harsh on him to expect something what McGrath does.

Last edited:
I would understand the decision a whole lot better if the intention really was to bring more young blood into the team. I'm kinda glad the whole pissing match with Mark Waugh is now finally over. For too long the armchair critics and anyone else with an opinion have had a field day predicting his departure.

yes im still sad, pathetic and forlorn

Thanks for posting those pics.
Statistics are one thing betty, but surely you can understand the need for people feeling upset about it?
He was a brilliant player and I think you'll find that most people who are saddened by it, dont relaly care who is replacing him or what their average is...take a moment to see that we are losing one of our best.

Im truly sorry you missed out ishkash..im very lucky that ive been going to the cricket at the scg every summer bar the last 2 seasons, since i was 13 years old. therefore ive seen Mark play every one of those tests, plus almost every one day game(which as a Mark Waugh fan were always the big highlights) plus ive seen him play numerous games for NSW.
As a cricket fan, there was nothing i loved more than watching both Mark and Steve bat together at the scg. nothing beat that for me and as big a sigh of disappointment that would go out any time an aussie batsmen lost his wicket...for me, that sigh was always a bit louder when it was Mark.

One of my other favourite things to do was get out to the ground early and watch the players in the nets and warming up on the ground. id always watch junior and warney up the back chatting away as they ran around the ground.
Although I dont know what was more exciting, watching Mark score a century, hitting big fours and sixes during a one day game, or watching him take an absolute blinder of a catch in the slips.
Maybe it was watching him run his big bro out 9 times out of 10 :D

I can't imagine no more "Hey Mark give us a wave".... :sad:
*sniff*

Well my only consolation would be to see him in Pura Cup or ING cup games. (Change the name back to Shefield Sheild please) But still...nothing like Boxing Day test match

The impact of Mark Waugh was of global nature (cricket's globe that is). You can see kids in India on the streets practising those leg glances. We used to work hours in nets perfecting that leg glance, y'know where the bat head goes the other way. We have Sachin but for us Mark Waugh was the player we wanted to look like and play like. The whole deal was he was doing these bloody spectacular things and made them look so simple. He had this ease, a calm to his approach which gave the game some art which has been lost since 1970's. For us Mark Waugh was a dream that took the shape of reality. For me in many ways he was the Cricket.

Yep, I know he was a stylist and was much loved by his fans, but to me you can't stay in the side just for how you play, unless your method is bringing you enough runs, its plainly true that Mark's method had declined in efficiency of late.

As for the campaign for his head, you may look angrily at the media but the thing is, if Mark had scored more consistently they would've shutup. No-one ever questioned his place in the team between 1993 and 1997, for in those years he was consistent. He had a poor Ashes tour in '97 and that was the beginning of the malaise, he was able to score skin-saving centuries a number of times but his failures gradually mounted - like Dean Jones he became particularly good at scoring runs late in series, often when they'd been decided already.

I know I'm sounding harsh but I want to show that the decision to omit him was well and truly justified and that any backlash against his successor is unfair.

Last but not least, Lehmann is no liability in the field, he's a good catcher in slips or in close, and as a change bowler his left armers are vastly underrated. He is also a very, very astute cricket thinker.

You still totally missed my point.

No one is arguing that you are wrong brett. You are right. I know you love to point out when you are right. This time you are.
However, you missed my point completely.

Kinda like if Bono leaves U2...u jump in a goodbye Bono admiration thread and say "well hes had his day and cant sing anymore anyway, whats the big deal?"

Thats my point. :|

Last edited:
The thing about being right is a bit of a cheap shot but ok, sorry. I enjoyed Mark Waugh's cricket as much as the next guy, and he was certainly a sight to behold. One thing I loved about him was the fact he never appealed frivolously, when Healy and Taylor and Warne were always going up for anything Mark only appealed if he really felt it was out, a big clue for any umpires out there!

But yeah im sticking to my guns about fairness, appreciate the man and his achievements, but don't mourn his axing like some great injustice has been committed. :|

im mourning his career
couldnt care less about the axing and what the ACB do anymore
its an Appreciation thread

:drool:Boxing Day Test:drool:

I so luuuuurve the Cricket season- there is nothing better than watching the Boxing Day Test with a heap of beers, eating leftover prawns from Christmas lunch and staying cool from the summer heat and the other great thing about cricket season is if you are lucky enough to hear a commentary done by Kerry O'Keefe (he is sometimes a panelist on 'The Fat') this guy does the best cricket commentary and he has the best laugh- its one of those ones that just makes you crack up listening to it.....

but it is still a bummer that the Poms are out here- like I said, its gonna be a slack comp, but anyway roll on the start of the Ashes at the good ol' Gabba:)

ugh, I can't stand Kerry O'Keefe! Thank gawd he doesn't do the test matches...how bout Brad Hodge's catch!

I hate all this pom baiting, Ashes series ALWAYS have their moments, regardless of whether we win or not there will be moments of drama and tension and there'll be huge crowds out to see it.

excellent article

Mark Waugh - A triumph of style and substance
Anand Vasu - 29 October 2002

There's no reason why a journalist based in Madras, India, should consider it necessary to sit down at his keyboard and tap away just because Mark Waugh promptly retires after being dropped from the Australian side. Journos in New South Wales will do enough and more of that. Not unless, of course, the said cricketer was one of the reasons the Madras hack ended up being a cricket writer in the first place. Having suffered exactly that fate, this piece must be written.

Then, seemingly on a whim, as if to say, "nah, I'd rather whip that behind square", the wrists turn and the bowler's sweat, the ball's pace, the wicket's menace are all dismissed to the square leg fence. That's Mark Waugh. And yes, that's certainly a good enough reason to take up cricket writing.

Style is about as useful as a raincoat on a clear, hot summer' day when it's not backed up by substance. To stretch the clich? further, several people have suggested that while Mark was the style, Steve was the substance of the family. What of the other brothers Dean and Danny then? Dean has played first-class cricket and Danny just made 78 last weekend in Sydney grade cricket against a bowling attack that included New Zealand paceman Daryl Tuffey. About enough cricket talent for one family, you would think.

Okay, so elder brother Steve might have played 23 more Test matches and scored 1705 more runs than Mark. Look at Junior's record though. In a career spanning twelve years, 8029 runs flowed off the blade at an average of over 41. Once in every six games, the younger Waugh reached three figures. And importantly, no selection committee has ever seen it necessary, or fit, to drop Mark for a Test match since 1992/93 when he was dropped for the third Test against New Zealand. That's more substance than most international cricketers can dream of. But then, that again, is not the reason this piece had to be written.

There have been many times, when the runs have been hard to come by for the New South Welshman. The first slump came early on in his career, when he picked up four consecutive Test ducks touring Sri Lanka in 1992/93. From then on, however, there was more cause to celebrate the lazy elegance of his shots rather than the careless dismissals that sometimes crept in.

And, then, in 1997, the critics began their carping once more, as Australia took on New Zealand at home. Coming off scores of 7, 19, 1, 3 and 17, Mark needed something special to turn things around. On the first day, with New Zealand batting, one thought the younger Waugh would have to wait a while before he could make his mark. Only till Chris Cairns viciously pulled a rank long hop from Shane Warne. The ball punched a hole through the air and screamed towards midwicket. Flying across the turf, horizontal, with time standing still, Mark Waugh pouched the catch as a stunned Cairns' grin turned to a grimace.

The tide had turned with one brilliant moment in the field. "Mark Waugh held a real gem, leaping horizontally at midwicket to dismiss Cairns. There has rarely been a more classic catch," The Australian wrote. And, then, as if to confirm that he was back in top gear, Mark Waugh launched Daniel Vettori onto the roof of the Lillee-Marsh stand, causing a four-minute delay in play while a replacement ball was sought. He made 86, setting up an innings victory for Australia. But no, the fact that a man could change fortunes with one catch is not good enough reason for someone to turn to journalism.

Wind the clock to 1996 when the World Cup caravan came to the subcontinent. New Zealand, in the humid conditions at Madras chalked up an imposing 286 thanks to a crafty 130 from Chris Harris late in the order. Responding to the challenge, rising to the occasion, meeting pressure with composure, Mark Waugh made 110 off 112 balls, one of three tons he would make in the tournament, to take Australia to victory. Now that was enough to make one turn to cricket writing.

It might be a bit sentimental to say so, but once again the reasons are sound. Watching the match through the keyhole of a door from an adjoining room, while trying hard to prepare for the most important physics examination of one's life, it was quickly clear that a brilliant career in science laboratories was not to follow. With a percentage in the said examination that was closer to Mark Waugh's average than Don Bradman's, all hopes of that career in science were dashed.

Yes, it's a personal note. But so is the retirement of Mark Edward Waugh to a host of people around the world. The little matter of a few rupees received to supply information to a bookie will be forgotten soon. In a few years, so will the piles of runs scored. But the lazy clip off the hips, the effortless loft over the infield and the polished drive through covers will be talked about wistfully in bars for a long time to come.

? CricInfo

http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2002/OCT/082081_AUS_29OCT2002.html

Back
Top Bottom