Golden Globes.... Cancelled...........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
Golden Globes Cancelled!
Posted Jan 7th 2008 7:21PM by TMZ Staff

Holy swag suite ... say it ain't so! Time to hang up your evening gown and tux ... the Golden Globe awards have been officially canceled.

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association has just confirmed that Sunday's awards ceremony has been axed. We're told winners will be announced during some type of hour-long newzzzzzzzzzz conference at the Beverly Hilton. Who wants to watch that?!?

Faced with the threat of a boycott by actors who refused to cross striking writers' picket lines, the HFPA were forced to make today's decision.

Sorta hard to have a ceremony when no stars are gonna show ... We're just sayin'.

It's a shame but what you expect when we got no writers and are going nowhere with talks.. :huh:

Last edited:
Huh. That sucks, I guess; it's the most fun of the awards shows, what with the lack of a boring host and half of the presenters/winners being drunk.

Of the award show telecasts, it's my favorite, but that's not saying much.

We'll still get to see winners get announced, which is the most important thing.

anitram said:
What about the Oscars?

The Oscars aren't likely to be cancelled or postponed. Cancelling the Globes primarily hurts one party--NBC, who is a main target of the writer's strike. Picketing the Oscars would be a slap in the face to the entire industry, and I imagine the writers would be making a lot of enemies if they did so.

lazarus said:

The Oscars aren't likely to be cancelled or postponed. Cancelling the Globes primarily hurts one party--NBC, who is a main target of the writer's strike. Picketing the Oscars would be a slap in the face to the entire industry, and I imagine the writers would be making a lot of enemies if they did so.

"would be making"?

i support the writers...but this is getting borderline ridiculous

Well they really are getting screwed by a bunch of greedy producers. I don't know how familiar you are with the main problem they're striking over, but writers get residuals when their product is rebroadcast, sold, etc. With the rise of online content, the studios aren't offering writers a compatible percentage when their stuff is streamed or shown over the internet. It seems pretty cut-and-dried to me, but apparently the other side thinks they have some kind of legitimate case.

The problem is that the writers are now making side deals with various entities like David Letterman's company, and now United Artists, and it weakens their stance a bit because it looks like compromise. Writers have been shit on and undervalues since the inception of Hollywood, so it's no surprise that there seems to always be problems between them and the powers that be.

Also, the Screen Actors Guild are still supporting the writers, and their refusal to cross the picket line is why the Globes are being cancelled. No one gives a shit if the writers don't show up to the party!

lazarus said:
Also, the Screen Actors Guild are still supporting the writers, and their refusal to cross the picket line is why the Globes are being cancelled. No one gives a shit if the writers don't show up to the party!

Damn right.

Wow. Hopefully the Oscars do the same thing, and whittle the gargantuan 4+ hour snooze-fest into a brief hour long announcement.

This is better.

Really it is. Because I don't give a shit about celebrity fashion. :D

Congratulations on your award for Best Editing.

Too bad I have Best Score:

zooey032107.jpg
scruffycompava.jpg

Back
Top Bottom