Going to New York!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! Congrats! You'll have a blast!

Dpending upon what you like to do, your hotel's concierge should be able to point you to places that might suit your tastes (if you're staying at a hotel) food wise. I like to hang out on the Lower East Side where alot of great dive bars and clubs are. Shopping is scattered, but Times Square and 5 Ave/Madison Ave are great for shopping and people watching.

One of the best things I've done - get up early, take a cab to Battery Park (southern tip of Manhattan) and walk up Broadway to Central Park.

You will pass through many of the little neighborhoods in Manhattan and get a great flavor for the city.

Also, get a drink at the Rainbow Room (atop Rockefeller Plaza). A wonderful 20's style atmosphere with amazing views.

nbcrusader said:
One of the best things I've done - get up early, take a cab to Battery Park (southern tip of Manhattan) and walk up Broadway to Central Park.

You will pass through many of the little neighborhoods in Manhattan and get a great flavor for the city.

Also, get a drink at the Rainbow Room (atop Rockefeller Plaza). A wonderful 20's style atmosphere with amazing views.

if you're gonna do that, make sure you bring your walking shoes...

and stop by flannery's for the best pint of guinness in the city (imo)... corner of 14th & 7th (chelsea district)

:wave: Oh my gosh, you are going to love it! I just went there for the first time in April. It was amazing. Check out the museums. They are fantastic. Oh and check out iloveny.com. It has all the info you'll need.

come on over/up/down....

........depending on your place of origin.

:wave:
***Welcome to our City, Naya!*** <ah luvs playing tour guide>

I'm a born/bred NYC'er, whose been almost all around Manhattan and knows something of the outer boroughs that make up our grand abode. I have many interests, so depending soon you are heading our way I could some suggestions more specific to your interests.

HS, nb & HA have given you good suggestoins.

FOr more shopping...5th ave is more often for people who have a a good amont of money, but not all and some of the pricier stores sometimes have small items that are affordable.

You can also go to walk across eastward from 3rd Ave to 2nd ave is St Mark's Place [8th st] from there you cna 'zigzag' east to west from 2nd ave to 1st ave to ave A on st marks then go down to 7th head back west to 2nd etc, 6th etc. The shops vary in price but it's so much fun to look at.

You can at your local, or when you get here Barnes & Nobles look for the Zagart's series NYC restaurants and also one for shopping markets/food/flowers and other stuff.

If you go down theBbowery, I forget just which cross street you can visit CBGB's the Birth Place of Punk/Neew Wave. Some people think it started in England first {sex pistols, the clash etc} but :no: it started right here. SP< CLsh etc got their insiration from the CBGB's bands!

And the Ramones, Television & The patti Smith group were all parts of U2's inspirations for R&R[I/] all got launched from there!

I'll be checking INf almost everyday...so if you want to get more specific with interests please add questions here. I'd be my pleasure to help you enjoy your stay even more.

havre a great time!

Last edited:
I've always wanted to go to New York, but I've never had the money or time to go. You're going to have a blast, Naya, stay safe! And don't forget to take lot's of pictures and post them here! :hug:

Alrighty New Yorkers...

We will be in NYC for 3 days. I know it wont be nearly enough time to see everything!!

Some things we want to see are:

Central Park
Times Square
Little Italy
Statue of Liberty
WTC Site
Brooklyn Bridge
Central Park
Metropolitan Museum of Art

Is there anything else we REALLY should go to? What are the nice (and somewhat cheap!) restaurants (especially Italian!!)?

Considering our time frame, we are thinking of just basing our stay around Manhatten and what it has to offer...

:) :)

Go to Lombardi's Pizzeria if you like really thin crust, coal oven pizza. I went with a bunch of people last Christmas and we all loved it.

If you really want cheap shopping, you can hit the outlet malls in New Jersey (no tax on clothes). Everything was a bargain, even with the conversion to Canadian dollars.

say hello to my 1 year old niece while you're there if you see her :cute:

don't forget Greenwich Village.
there are tons of shops and good restaurants there.

http://www.nycgv.com/

one of my favorite things to do in nyc is just hang out for several hours in central park, have a picnic and relax and watch the interesting people walk by. of course you probably wouldn't want to go to central park alone.

also see Blue Man Group perform at the Astor Theater! :yes:
www.blueman.com

*Don't forget to recheck my post about shopping/looking around in the East villiange & CBGB's.*

Some addtional ideas:

After or before going to WTC/Ground Zero, I suggest the folowing- Visit St Paul's Church Yhey has a very moving and well -presented exhibit on the minstry that began right after 9-11.

It's the steepled church on Broadway & Fulton that surviced/missed the falling steel sections of the falling buildings that day. And when you see how close it is, you;ll see why it was a miraculous thing. They began a ministry of providing the workers with food, shelter/sleeping, physical & mental care, the various supply donations fior the the workers and kind , soothing words.

BEAUTIFUL & FUN: walk over to the world financial center- the set of buildings behind/west of the WTC site, go through the buildings and you'll be in/on one of the nicest relativelly reccent {15- 8 years ago in it's full compleation} Urban Plaza's & Parks that run one above and below the Plaza on the waterfront area of the Hudson river.

It is a *****wonderful place and [/I]a whole different experience of NYC parks/area****[/I] that you'll get by going there. I frequented IT when I worked in thAT area and at other times for relaxation. i Still do A lot!!

OH, and see the Winter Garden of the WFC. It's the Giant Glass Atrium that you'll see from the WTC-site. It is another Miracle. The whole 'back' section was damaged/parly-smashed and holes in the glass, debris raining down on it on the inside. But the structure basically held and the whole front section of glass facing the Hudsaon river was not damaged.

If you want to get further experience of Mahattan and it's various looks and the fact that it IS an islaand...take the circle-line cruise around manhattan.

If you really don't know that much about Manhattan as a whole ESPECIALLY as you get to it's NORTHERN-most end --I believe you will be in for an amazing suprize_ {Like..."I never would have guessed Manhattan could ever look like that!} I'm making an educated guess from other's past reactions.

hope some of this is of interest to ya. and if you get to the Met Museum walk about five blocks up AND SEE TH4\E ONLY ARCHITECTURAL WORK OF fRANK lLOYD wRIGT IN nyc-- THE gUGGIE:D The Guggenheim Museum,,} my nickname for it when I worked there aBOUT 12 YRS AGO. ...OOOPP SORRY THE PINKY SLIP.

ENJOY YOU VISIT! YOU CAN POST HERE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS WHEN YOU GO....i USUALLY CHECK inF EVERY OR EVERY OTHER DAY.

Last edited:
before going to WTC/Ground Zero, I suggest the folowing- Visit St Paul's Church Yhey has a very moving and well -presented exhibit on the minstry that began right after 9-11.

It's the steepled church on Broadway & Fulton that surviced/missed the falling steel sections of the falling buildings that day. And when you see how close it is, you;ll see why it was a miraculous thing. They began a ministry of providing the workers with food, shelter/sleeping, physical & mental care, the various supply donations fior the the workers and kind , soothing words.
Went to NY before 9/11. Visited the WTC and afterwards found this beautiful little church. I fell in love with it. It was a miracle that it survived.

We stayed in the Chelsea area. Loved the area. We were there for 5 days and it wasn't enough. Saw Central Park, Museums, Battery Park, Liberty Island, Ellis Island and a Broadway show. Shopping in between. Exhausted when I got home but worth it. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi LMPOPa,

if you want and things work out schedual-wise for us both, I might want to meet up with you as you go to CBGB's.

I was hanging there not in the very first year but around 76, though I heard about those bands earlier on {some nasty lifestuff got in the way for a while}. saw Patti Smith, the Ramones & others there.. I'd bring my photos if Ican find them.

have a bunch of stories about that whole new/punk scene from about 75 -early 80's. Dazzled~~ your NYC new wave/ punk,u2, R&R guide. :wink:

shari~~ so glad you had a good time!

[you can then imgine how close that church came to ruin.}

dazzledbylight said:
hi LMPOPa,

if you want and things work out schedual-wise for us both, I might want to meet up with you as you go to CBGB's.

I was hanging there not in the very first year but around 76, though I heard about those bands earlier on {some nasty lifestuff got in the way for a while}. saw Patti Smith, the Ramones & others there.. I'd bring my photos if Ican find them.

have a bunch of stories about that whole new/punk scene from about 75 -early 80's. Dazzled~~ your NYC new wave/ punk,u2, R&R guide. :wink:

shari~~ so glad you had a good time!

[you can then imgine how close that church came to ruin.}

That would be great! We'll hafta see about that... :)

Back
Top Bottom