Goin' to Edinburgh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
To anyone who lives in the area or have traveled there, I'm looking for advice. Besides the obvious touristy things (which I'll be doing of course :wink: ), what should we do there for fun? What are some good places to eat at? Etc.

I appreciate any help you can give!

:kiss:

I'll be there after Christmas. Not the most ideal time (wish it could be during summer!), but still, it will be great. I'll be spending most of my trip (Dec. 18 - Jan. 9) in England, but I'm sooo looking forward to Edinburgh!

:hyper:

i went to edinburgh (make sure you pronounce it ed-in-BRUH) a few years ago. we took a ghost tour, which was totally awesome and totally scary! if you're into that kind of thing, definitely do that!

Been to Edinburgh loads of times and it's gorgeous, although personally i think Glasgow's better being from there i'm biased! :D

I'm going there in the next week for a day out with my friend&the pubs are great. :wink: I'd recommend the world's end on the Royal mile(although it's small) and the Kenilworth on Rose street :up:

Also, the zoo's great with an amazing view from the top of the hill&of course the castle has a spectacular view down to the river Forth with the awesome Forth rail bridge :bow:

Don't you want to go to Glasgow too Q1? :tongue: ;)

:lol: My friend's there at the minute actually Susan visiting her stepmum. She likes the place and from what I've seen of the place on TV and that it looks quite nice......

susanp6 said:
It rocks! :yes: :rockon: :giggle:

have you any plans on getting to Edinburgh Q1?

Nah, one of my friends is at uni there though so it'd make more sense to go when she's back at uni in September/October time. But knowing me I'll probably never get round to it. :tsk:

Oh no :( it's so great too!

By the way, it just occured to me - you're name shortened to Q1 sounds like a character in a James Bond film :giggle:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Have a great time no matter what you do, sis! :hyper:

It's a shame Ewen still isn't hanging around...

Speak of the 'devil' and he shall appear...mmwwahaha :macdevil:

I got 'directed' here kicking and screaming.

Well, would be nice to meet a U2 fan from abroad and show him/her around the fair city but I don't live there no more...hmm, I live 4,500 miles away now (hmm, how did that happen!? :shifty: ) in the US of A.

anyways...

Rose Street, parallel to Princes Street, is a definate must for pubs but if you're up for some clubbing then ask a friendly Edinburger the way to The Grassmarket, but stay away from Espionage...it's a cattle mart full of seedy men (some being my friends). You might want to try a classier place such as Stereo (http://www.clubstereo.co.uk/gallery.php) but I may be a little biased since I did build their website.

If you're feeling energetic then take a walk up Arthur's Seat, it's great...I took Pax up it when she first came over. And while you're in that area visit Duddingston Village, behind Arthur's Seat, and pop into the Sheep Heid pub (oldest pub in Scotland)...try the Sheep Heid ale and order their superb Haggis. I love this pub but it's very very popular and therefore can be very very busy! Apparently Bonnie Prince Charlie planned the battle of Prestonpans with his fellow Jacobites in that pub. umm, what? read up on yer British history! :wink:

An important note: Smoking is banned in ALL public places in Scotland.

Definately visit the Zoo (think its £10 entrance) and witness the Penguin Parade around 2pm.

The Royal Yacht Britannia is homed in Edinburgh...at the docks of course. This was the Queen's private ship and was was put out of service several years ago.

Another important note: don't pronounce Edinburgh as "Edinborrow", it irks people, it's pronounced "Edin-burra".

Buy yourself a day ticket on the Lothian busses for about £2, I think. Busses are regular to most places around town.

Visit the new Scottish Parliament building, if you're into that kind of stuff...you can go in it. It's located at the bottom of The Royal Mile next to Holyrood Palace (the Queen's Edinburgh home). At the top of The Royal Mile is the famous Castle, home to the Scottish Crown Jewels. Ask the soldier on guard duty his name, if he says "Jason" and "So are you doing anything tonight?" then it's probably my nephew...run far away. In between the castle and the Parliament building are lots of fun things, souvenier shops, churches, museums, pubs (including the World's End).

Yet another important note: umm, us Scots can get very upset when people don't realise that Scottish people are British people too, that Great Britain is not England but Scotland, England and Wales. The United Kingdom is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. You probably already know this but just saying...I've been surprised by how many people over here in the US don't know that.

Umm, have I missed anything?

probably.

ohhhh, shite! You said "apart from the obvious touristy things"...oh well, I'm not going back and deleting all that! :wink:

Have a great trip!

over and out.

Ewen!! You rock! :bow:

ewen said:

Rose Street, parallel to Princes Street, is a definate must for pubs but if you're up for some clubbing then ask a friendly Edinburger the way to The Grassmarket, but stay away from Espionage...it's a cattle mart full of seedy men (some being my friends). You might want to try a classier place such as Stereo (http://www.clubstereo.co.uk/gallery.php) but I may be a little biased since I did build their website.

I've already read up a bit on Rose Street...I'm definately more of a pub person! I'll stay away from the seedy men :sexywink:

ewen said:

And while you're in that area visit Duddingston Village, behind Arthur's Seat, and pop into the Sheep Heid pub (oldest pub in Scotland)...try the Sheep Heid ale and order their superb Haggis. I love this pub but it's very very popular and therefore can be very very busy! Apparently Bonnie Prince Charlie planned the battle of Prestonpans with his fellow Jacobites in that pub. umm, what? read up on yer British history! :wink:

Great! My boyfriend loves haggis (I had it for the first time this past weekend) so we'll be sure to have it there! And surprisingly, I have been reading up on my British history!

ewen said:

Another important note: don't pronounce Edinburgh as "Edinborrow", it irks people, it's pronounced "Edin-burra".

That's how I pronounce it...Edin-burra! Though people here have tried to correct me with Edinborrow when I tell them about getting to go there. Nice to know that I'm right as usual :wink:

ewen said:

Yet another important note: umm, us Scots can get very upset when people don't realise that Scottish people are British people too, that Great Britain is not England but Scotland, England and Wales. The United Kingdom is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. You probably already know this but just saying...I've been surprised by how many people over here in the US don't know that.

Well most people here have their heads in their asses :whistle:

ewen said:

ohhhh, shite! You said "apart from the obvious touristy things"...oh well, I'm not going back and deleting all that! :wink:

Well I plan on doing the touristy things too! :D But I just wanted some more info, and that's what I got. Thank you thank you thank you!!

I wish I could see more of Scotland, but it looks like we'll only get to spend time in this city. At least we get to go, right? I'm stoked. Maybe next time we're in the area we can hit Glasgow and the Highlands! :)

Last edited:
I LOVE this city! So beautiful. Ewen, thank you for your recommendations. After climbing the Scott monument, then hiking Arthur's Seat (woo, me buns are sore today!), we found the Sheep Heid and had a wonderful meal of haggis. It was rather quiet, as we got there at 5. Got a bit lost finding it though, as we went in the wrong direction after we finished our hike. It was a wonderful day though, perfect for our hike. Blue skies and sunny :drool:

Cool :wink:

I was there just before Xmas&the German markets, lights&the big wheel were all so amazing&beautiful :drool:

You didn't go to any of the pubs in Roses street then? I laughed at some of the pub names along threre!!!

Should be back soon too :heart:

My Edinburgh uni friend was down here for Christmas. She reckons Edinburgh is so beautiful and so fantastic and such a perfect city and I've just got to come up and visit her. :hmm: Now probably would be the best time to go what with her exams being over... ...and our local paper doing a really good deal on cheap rail tickets from York to either London or Edinburgh...though there's a lot of small print to the offer :madspit:

omg!!!!!!!!:drool:

when i went in the summer it was one of my fave places i went ok you have to go:
on a ghost walk
to Roslyn chapel..it's not that far
shopping on the royal mile
the queens residence
Edinburgh castle
to the pub that opens at 6 am i have a pic of it
:drool:
ukanddublin056.jpg

i can't remember any more lol

I live just outside of Edinburgh and I just wanna say I'd try to do most things that everyone has suggested. Another place to visit would be the City Chambers on the High Street (Royal Mile) which is where you can go to St. Mary's Close which was closed off hundreds of years ago I haven't personally been but it's supposed to be good! Also Edinburgh Dungeon's is quite fun and scary and another place for shopping is Princes Street, that's the main place for all the shops and if you go to Rose Street which is just behind Princes Street then there's loads of great pubs there! You should also visit Princes Street Gardens they're great to have a picnic or something in as long as it isn't raning! Hope you enjoy yourself when you come! All us Scots are pretty friendly!

We went to Rosslyn Chapel today - we got there at noon, but it was closed until 2:15 because of a wedding! Had a good time wandering about the grounds and in Roslin Glen - beautiful area! We also wanted to hit the castle today, but the wedding messed up our time. Last night we did a literary pub tour - fabulous! :up: I highly recommend! Info is here

Tonight is our last night :(

Glad you had, or are still having, a great time in Edinburgh, LL!

You ought to head down to Princes Street and give us all a wave! ;) streaming webcam at the bottom of my MySpace page: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=99741184

I took Abby to Rosslyn chapel on one of her visits. We kind of overdosed on old churches that week!

love_u2_adam, that has to be the ugliest pub in the whole of Edinburgh! If not Scotland or the UK! Glad you don't work for the Scottish tourist industry! lol.

Back
Top Bottom