God I miss Grunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I hate music today.

After hearing the Nirvana song "You know you're right" and the new Audioslave song "Cochise" all I have to say is that I miss Grunge.

I miss the Alice in Chains' the Sound Gardens' the Pear Jams' (early stuff), the Nirvanas'

These two songs are great and Kurt and Chris' voices are amazing.

I miss the Doc Martins

the Flannels

the sweat...

I miss the whole thing...

I always hated that these bands got labelled "grunge", it is/was just rock. In fact Soundgarden and AIC were both referred to as heavy metal bands before Nevermind hit and the term "grunge" was coined.
Anyway...I miss a lot of that music as well. Though its clear why "You Know You're Right" wasn't released, it sounds like a demo.
I like "Cochise", look forward to the rest of the Audioslave material.
We have new Pearl Jam due in 2 weeks, funny they aren't referred to as "grunge" these days.

Oh, and Ouizy...I'm liking Weezie's new look. :)

ouizy said:

the Pear Jams' ...
I made you some:
pearjam.jpg

:wave:

Funny you should say this. I've been listening to Nirvana a lot lately. I wasn't really into grunge when everyone else was-- I liked it but I wasn't into it. But lately I really like cranking it up in my car and screaming along. Something very satisfying about that.

what joyful girl said.

and ouizy: just be thankful we have creed and nickelback these days to really "rawk out to."

:sexywink:

I liked grunge, but I dont miss it. Yes, there were some great music during that time, but to me, it was depressing. The whole thing.

my bro and i were talking about this very thing the other day while philosophising over why eddie cut his hair.

i truly miss soundgarden
jane said nickelback and creed need a good doc martening
i love my docs

I've been rocking out to Soundgarden, Alice, Pearl and Nirvana lately, early Pumpkins are in the mix too

though I liked them somewhat at the time, I have no interest anymore in Stone Temple Pilots

I'm very excited about the Audioslave project, I've heard a few of tracks and they're better rock songs than anything I've heard in ages

Grunge had bored me at a point but yeah I like to blast it full power now and then esp on Sunday mornings (or noons or afternoons) after a mad Saturday night. No better wake-up technique than to shake yer mane half asleep to Superunknown/Badmotorfinger or to the Pilots' Core. :crazy::crazy:

personally I didn't like Grunge nowhere near as much as the bands who inspired Nirvana etc (Sonic Youth, Pixies ... now that rocked)

Sonic Youth and The Pixies rule.

The new Foo Fighter record One By One is very strong, I suggest it. I am going to have to read into the linear notes because I swear it sounds like Chris Cornell on the background vocals for "Lonely As You Are".

Thw video to "You Know You're Right" really brought memories of Kurt's stage presence

The Wanderer said:

though I liked them somewhat at the time, I have no interest anymore in Stone Temple Pilots

I'm very excited about the Audioslave project, I've heard a few of tracks and they're better rock songs than anything I've heard in ages

STP were one of my fave bands from the early 90s period and I still think they rock- I dont have their new album but I got the release from 2000 'No 4' and it was quite good.....with all of the shit they have gone through, namely their various drug afflictions it is just good to see that they are still together as a band....

I dont know what to make of Audioslave, the first single that is being played here, to me sounds like such a Led Zepplin 'Whole lotta love' rip off- not very original in my opinion.....

and yeah I miss grunge, mostly because it was the music of my generation, I guess that all of the younger kids these days will be saying that all of the rap/metal bands are their generation but anyway I can remember where I was the first time I heard smells like teen spirit & when Kurt died, getting my first pair of Docs and rocking out at numerous gigs by local grunge inspired bands when I was just a young thing.......I miss the newness and rebelliousness that the music inspired- well it did in me.....but whilst I miss most of the grunge music I was also a big fan of the LA music scene of the late 80s that featured bands like Janes Addiction, RHCP (sorry cant stand their new music, give me Mothers Milk and Freakey Styley any day) and Living Color- all these guys were great and came just before the grunge explosion and then the grunge era- how great was it?? I was lucky enough to see Soundgarden live twice and they were just amazing and I saw the RHCP back in 92 and they absolutely rocked- there just seemed to be more power in the music back then......

My Grunge Top 5 (in no particular order)

Love buzz- Nirvana
Outshine- Soundgarden
Interstate love song- STP
Would- AIC
Animal- Pearl Jam:)

I used to do the grunge/gangsta thing... XXL fannels, saggin baggy jeans, and docs. :der: :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom