Goat Island, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, tdio is probs my second favourite too, after street mission.

here's something no one else might agree wif: i like the demo of satt, possibly more than the album version. but i don't hate either song. wtf!

I'd rank Street Mission and The Fool just behind TDIO and LOASP. Honestly, I've never been able to decide if I prefer Street Mission or The Fool.

I like both versions of SATT, but the song doesn't really register strongly in my mind so I only play it infrequently. I think I have a mild preference for the album version.

I'm actually liking TTYW more recently. :reject: Same with Red Light :reject: :reject:

Fail, Andrew.

God, it's just totally beyond me how Red Light rather than Treasure made War, and why on earth they subbed out Heartland from JT and brought on TTYW rather than Spanish Eyes in its place.

U2, YOU ARE IDIOTS.

I'd rank Street Mission and The Fool just behind TDIO and LOASP. Honestly, I've never been able to decide if I prefer Street Mission or The Fool.

I like both versions of SATT, but the song doesn't really register strongly in my mind so I only play it infrequently. I think I have a mild preference for the album version.
oh wow, you like the fool? i was afraid to mention it cuz i was afraid you'd hate it! :lol: the only pre-boy/boy demos i can think of that i don't like are twilight and alone in the light/city at night/i masturbate nightly/whatever the fuck it's called.

loasp is great, i forgot about that song. i'm looking at my list of U2 demos and i don't know which is my favourite now.

Fail, Andrew.

God, it's just totally beyond me how Red Light rather than Treasure made War, and why on earth they subbed out Heartland from JT and brought on TTYW rather than Spanish Eyes in its place.

U2, YOU ARE IDIOTS.
the only good thing about heartland's removal is mayhaps the rah version is better than what would've been on jt. cuz the version we all have is amaaaaaaaaazing. easily my favourite on rah, but then again that's like picking a favourite song on htdaab - not hard to find the diamond in the pile of shit.

the only good thing about heartland's removal is mayhaps the rah version is better than what would've been on jt. cuz the version we all have is amaaaaaaaaazing. easily my favourite on rah, but then again that's like picking a favourite song on htdaab - not hard to find the diamond in the pile of shit.

This is a good point. I can accept it's removal on the basis that they wanted something a bit less serious, and that this removal meant we got its pwnage on RAH. What I can't fathom is why they chose to bring in TTYW as the non-serious song to break things up. Spanish Eyes would've done the job a million times better, and would've been a huge single too.

This is a good point. I can accept it's removal on the basis that they wanted something a bit less serious, and that this removal meant we got its pwnage on RAH. What I can't fathom is why they chose to bring in TTYW as the non-serious song to break things up. Spanish Eyes would've done the job a million times better, and would've been a huge single too.
yes!! god, spanish eyes should've been at least an album track, with ttyw being relegated to b-side status. i mean i don't hate the song, but it doesn't deserve to be on an album viewed as omglegendaryandperfect

oh wow, you like the fool? i was afraid to mention it cuz i was afraid you'd hate it! :lol: the only pre-boy/boy demos i can think of that i don't like are twilight and alone in the light/city at night/i masturbate nightly/whatever the fuck it's called.

loasp is great, i forgot about that song. i'm looking at my list of U2 demos and i don't know which is my favourite now.

Ha, how come you thought I'd dislike The Fool? It's a great little track. Certainly one of the better demos. I'm totally with you on Alone In The Light's shittiness (I Masturbate Nightly? :laugh: ). Oh, and let's not forget Jack In The Box. It sucks. Tonight sucks too, but in a lulzy way.

oh, i also forgot about false prophet...haven't heard that in years but i remember it being just meh.

It's not that great, but I still enjoy it. And it would've been so much better than TWILIGHT TWILIGHT TWILIGHT TWI-:BONO GOES THROUGH PUBERTY:-LIGHT.

Nah. I prefer LITS to Surrounded, as much as I love Marillion.

It's surprisingly good, especially as Mike says that the coffee budget was bigger than the entire budget for WDADU.

And dude, Surrounded 07, Blind Faith and Scarred. How the hell can you complain?

I'll take Surrounded myself, but it's a close call.

I'd rather not watch five guys going through a midlife crisis on stages around the world, playing shit like Constant Motion, In The Presence Of Enemies, and THE MINISTRY OF LOST SOULS. I mean, fuck, even its title lets you know it's worse than One.

Nonfat Joshua Tree:

Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With Or Without You
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Spanish Eyes
Heartland
One Tree Hill
Exit

end it fucking dark and that's it.

Ha, how come you thought I'd dislike The Fool? It's a great little track. Certainly one of the better demos. I'm totally with you on Alone In The Light's shittiness (I Masturbate Nightly? :laugh: ). Oh, and let's not forget Jack In The Box. It sucks. Tonight sucks too, but in a lulzy way.

It's not that great, but I still enjoy it. And it would've been so much better than TWILIGHT TWILIGHT TWILIGHT TWI-:BONO GOES THROUGH PUBERTY:-LIGHT.
:lol: i've no clue! i never discuss their older demos with anyone so i've really no idea what anyone thinks of them. it wasn't until the track listing for the remastered albums came out that i found out everyone else loved street mission too! and oh god. i've not listened to either of those songs in forever. i've only got them on something i have labelled as "1978 bbc live broadcast."

true. ANYTHING would've been better.

Nonfat Joshua Tree:

Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With Or Without You
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Spanish Eyes
Heartland
One Tree Hill
Exit

end it fucking dark and that's it.
:hmm: that's a good track listing. though i like motd. :mad:

yes!! god, spanish eyes should've been at least an album track, with ttyw being relegated to b-side status. i mean i don't hate the song, but it doesn't deserve to be on an album viewed as omglegendaryandperfect

I never listen to the original tracklist of JT any more. I use my custom version that cuts TTYW and features Spanish Eyes, Luminous Times, and a slightly altered order in the middle of the album. I'm sure you've seen the tracklist before.

I never listen to the original tracklist of JT any more. I use my custom version that cuts TTYW and features Spanish Eyes, Luminous Times, and a slightly altered order in the middle of the album. I'm sure you've seen the tracklist before.
oh yeah, i remember your track listing :up: i've no idea who made the playlist i use, but the only thing i don't like about it is beautiful ghost. i don't like that song, if i can call it a song.

:lol: i've no clue! i never discuss their older demos with anyone so i've really no idea what anyone thinks of them. it wasn't until the track listing for the remastered albums came out that i found out everyone else loved street mission too! and oh god. i've not listened to either of those songs in forever. i've only got them on something i have labelled as "1978 bbc live broadcast."

true. ANYTHING would've been better.

I've always been quite fond of the pre-Boy era. As was Liam before he decided everything related to U2 is unworthy of being near his ears. As for that "1978 BBC Broadcast" thing, it's horseshit. It's just a bunch of demo recordings mixed together in some daft order. I've spent a while identifying what comes from where and I'm now pretty confident in the accuracy of my demo session tracklists.

I've always been quite fond of the pre-Boy era. As was Liam before he decided everything related to U2 is unworthy of being near his ears. As for that "1978 BBC Broadcast" thing, it's horseshit. It's just a bunch of demo recordings mixed together in some daft order. I've spent a while identifying what comes from where and I'm now pretty confident in the accuracy of my demo session tracklists.
me too. it used to be my favourite era, back in like 97/98. ha, really? i forget where i downloaded it, probably off napster back in the day. most of the demos i have i unfortunately have no clue when they're from, or even if they're actually demos. like i have silver lining labelled as a demo, but i'm not sure if that song was ever professionally recorded, or just played live.

me too. it used to be my favourite era, back in like 97/98. ha, really? i forget where i downloaded it, probably off napster back in the day. most of the demos i have i unfortunately have no clue when they're from, or even if they're actually demos. like i have silver lining labelled as a demo, but i'm not sure if that song was ever professionally recorded, or just played live.

Setlist nerdism to the rescue?

These are the demo sessions as best as I can determine:
U2 Dublin, 1978-04-00, Eamon Andrews Studios, Various Dates - U2 on tour
U2 Dublin, 1978-11-01, Keystone Studios, Various Dates - U2 on tour
U2 Dublin, 1979-02-00, Eamon Andrews Studios, Various Dates - U2 on tour
U2 Dublin, 1979-06-00, Windmill Lane Studios, Various Dates - U2 on tour
U2 London, 1979-12-00, CBS Studios, Various Dates - U2 on tour

Anything not included there was probably not recorded in the studio or is not in circulation. So yeah, Silver Lining was just live - it evolved into 11OTT somewhere in the month between early March and 5-6 April 1980.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom