Goat Island, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guitar is an el cheapo imitation black Fender Strat made by Samick. I've had it since I was nine. I'd dearly love to get an Explorer one of these days, but I've a shitload of other expensive purchases to get through before that. I could probably use some effects pedals and shit first too.

Heh, I'm not exactly rolling in effects pedals either. The lone one I use regularly is a fairly customizable Digitech, with a built-in drum machine (which is what you hear on my songs :wink: ).

I have absolutely no effects pedals. Just my guitar, my amp, and ... shit, I've forgotten what you call it, one of those little levers you screw into the guitar.

Hell, I wonder if my amp is still even working. I've lugged it around the Gold Coast and then to Brisbane and down to Melbourne without turning it on once, and some removalists aren't the most gentle people. I can't tune my guitar, so I haven't plugged it in yet; I'm just working on my finger speed and learning tabs at the moment. Nobody in my block of flats needs to hear a hideously out of tune guitar. Hopefully I'll be able to tune the guitar with Ali's tuner in the near future. If I find myself playing the guitar more regularly, I'll go out and buy my own tuner.

I have a shitty Fender amp. Its effects setup doesn't even work properly. However, it only weighs about 25 pounds, so it's not terribly heavy, and it makes a whole lot of noise. :hyper:

I have a shitty Fender amp. Its effects setup doesn't even work properly. However, it only weighs about 25 points, so it's not terribly heavy, and it makes a whole lot of noise. :hyper:

My amp, like my guitar, is a Samick. If I remember correctly, we got the guitar and amp together as a dirt cheap secondhand deal, since my mother didn't have much money in the first place and didn't want to blow any of it on what might just be a passing fad. It's light, it's small, it probably does fuck all, and next time I turn it on, I'm just going to pray it works. And maybe try to create some noisy shit with it.

Pedals are wildly overrated.

Fun though.

My amp, like my guitar, is a Samick. If I remember correctly, we got the guitar and amp together as a dirt cheap secondhand deal, since my mother didn't have much money in the first place and didn't want to blow any of it on what might just be a passing fad. It's light, it's small, it probably does fuck all, and next time I turn it on, I'm just going to pray it works. And maybe try to create some noisy shit with it.

"Passing fad"? Was rock music first imported into NZ when you turned 8? :lol:

What a shock; guitar talk brings Andrew out of the woodwork! :wave:

I would like to play some shoegazy goodness, though.

Sometimes.

For shoegaze you need a fender amp, a distortion pedal, a delay pedal, and reverb. But a tuning pedals the best pedal you can buy with money, if you ask me.

"Passing fad"? Was rock music first imported into NZ when you turned 8? :lol:

Yeah, New Zealand was really behind the times in those days.

No, sorry, I meant that my interest in playing guitar would be a passing fad.

A lot of the best sounds I've been able to come with involved the effects available in my 16 track utilized in tandem with the Digitech. The Fake List will feature shoegazy goodness, and you'll get to hear what I mean.

Pedals I've owned and quit using and/or sold:

Boss Flanger
Digitech Delay/Chorus
DOD Thrashmaster
Boss Octaver 2
Electro Harmonix ring modulator
Crybaby Wah wah

To be honest, I'm not terribly keen on burying the guitar in flange or chorus, so I can understand why you would sell those. Wah wah is enjoyable when combined with a considerable amount of distortion.

Sometimes.

For shoegaze you need a fender amp, a distortion pedal, a delay pedal, and reverb. But a tuning pedals the best pedal you can buy with money, if you ask me.

Why a fender amp?

As it is, I probably won't be getting much, if anything, in the way of guitar equipment for a while. Phail will have to make do with our U2 covers failing due to absolutely no delay whatsoever.

Why a fender amp?

As it is, I probably won't be getting much, if anything, in the way of guitar equipment for a while. Phail will have to make do with our U2 covers failing due to absolutely no delay whatsoever.

Fender would be the best choice in my opinion because of how clean the tone is. Cleanest tone I've heard out of a tube amp, at least. Oh, and a guitar with single-coil pickups.

To be honest, I'm not terribly keen on burying the guitar in flange or chorus, so I can understand why you would sell those. Wah wah is enjoyable when combined with a considerable amount of distortion.

I can't stand flange, either, but I bought 3 pedals from one seller for $100 and it was included.

Anyway, the most impractical was the ring modulator.

And I kinda wish I had the chorus pedal again. If you dial it really low, it's really quite pleasant. Especially if you're working with an amp with an effects loop with true bypass.

Fender would be the best choice in my opinion because of how clean the tone is. Cleanest tone I've heard out of a tube amp, at least. Oh, and a guitar with single-coil pickups.

Ah, right, gotcha.

On a completely unrelated note to anything, I suppose one perk of the recent thread/forum deadness is that it gives me time to think about what the fuck I'm going to do for my 80,000th post. Though I'm sure I'll do something entirely unimaginative.

Fact: Exit is piss-easy.

I actually know very few U2 songs, surprisingly. I can play Pride, Streets, I Will Follow, Desire, All I Want Is You, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Beautiful Day, and Vertigo off the top of my head.

I actually know very few U2 songs, surprisingly. I can play Pride, Streets, I Will Follow, Desire, All I Want Is You, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Beautiful Day, and Vertigo off the top of my head.

You need to learn better U2 songs. :lol:

Oh, and ANYONE can play I Will Follow off the top of their head! At this stage, I can play Exit and 11OTT, and some of An Cat Dubh, Twilight, Gloria, and Bullet.

At the moment, I'm really just familiarising myself somewhat with U2 songs for Phail purposes. I've long since given up any delusions of actually being in a band.

Ah shit. I forgot I know Sunday Bloody Sunday, With Or Without You, and Until The End of the World.

Gabe wanted Euphoriette to cover Until The End Of The World. We were gonna start working on it the first practice we were gonna have after I quit.

Ah shit. I forgot I know Sunday Bloody Sunday, With Or Without You, and Until The End of the World.

I was surprised how easy WOWY is when I looked at the tab. I was playing along with it a few minutes ago, but I wouldn't say I really know the song at all yet. I guess it's all in the Infinite guitar, or having effects that come close to replicating it, so no version I play is ever going to sound more than half right anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom