GO LEAFS GO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by kobayashi:
where has it been confirmed that tucker did threaten peca and/or blake?

Both Peca and Tucker mentioned to the media that there were "things being said out there." Peca pointed this specific threat (about killing) out b/c throughout his career he never heard a threat like that.

When Peca went into detail, he said that Tucker and Corson said that they threatened to kill Blake and "take care of him off the ice."

Look, the only people who know exactly what was said are those on the ice. I take Peca at his word b/c he is a good player, team leader and has much credibility. I am confident that some of the Islanders probably said several dubious things on the ice throughout the series as well. I assume that Corson and Tucker didn't mean what they said. Apparently it was rare enough of a comment for Peca to mention to the media, which he usually works very well(except during this most recent series where his media tactics clearly hurt him and the Isles).

Now before I start I will admit that I am a very big leafs fan and I am also a big Darcy Tucker fan. Now with that said, I think that Tucker's hit on Peca (on of my favorite players ever) was pretty bad. I also think that Alfredson's hit on Tucker was just as bad. Sure he may be the big star in Ottawa and therefore isn't looked at as harshly as someone with Tucker's rep, but a hit like that isn't called for at any time. Just because Tucker is a goon doesn't mean that he can get hit from behind without a call.

The leafs have been labled as "Cry babies" by the media for what reason? Because they think the officials are calling games against them? I think they are just really frustrated at the way the playoffs are going for them. All the injuries that are hurting them at the worst times. Do you blame them for venting on something like the refs? Don't say you wouldn't do the same. Tucker is one of the leafs best players right now and he knows it, his team knows it, so I don't blame him for being pissed off at the outcome of game 5...not at all!

Now before I get flamed to hell for being a leafs fan (in a leafs topic of all places) I want to say that I will support the leafs after anything they do, stupid or not, I'll be there chanting Go Leafs Go no matter what. Call me biased, call me anything you wish. Just don't tell me that I should be embarrased of my my aging team of free agents because I'm not and nothing will change that. I can think of a number of things I would be embarrased about....my team is not one of them. One of them is how a stadium or Americans can boo the Canadian national anthem just because they hate a team from Canada. Have a little respect!

------------------
You Elevate My Soul!

Originally posted by Edgeman:
I can think of a number of things I would be embarrased about....my team is not one of them. One of them is how a stadium or Americans can boo the Canadian national anthem just because they hate a team from Canada. Have a little respect!

HEY, HEY, canadians booed the US anthem as well!! Don't forget that!!! As for hockey, The game has gotten a little out of hand. There are way too many questionable hits and the league as a whole has to do something about it. Good players are getting seriously hurt and right now, hockey needs some superstars to carry the sport, and they aren't going to get them if the game continues the way it is. Football is an excellent example of a violent contact sport that for the most part keeps the action clean, hockey needs to tighten the ropes a little and start calling penalties.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

the leafs have lost 2, perhaps 3, games on account of bad officiating. not that they wouldn't have lost those games anyway, but to lose on the bad call is what bothers them.
the leafs are complaining no more than any other team. there is a lot of media generated hype that is helping this image along.

Well, the time is getting closer. 10 hours to game 7. Woo Hoo. Here's to a good game with fair officiating and no career ending injury's!! MBH, I understand what you are saying. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. I think it is fair to say that we agree to diagree.

As far as the refs, they boys in blue HAVE lost a game or two because of the call. The funniest thing I have heard about the famous "non call" was that " I guess someone wanted the puck just a little bit more!!"

True, you live by the sword you die by the sword. I am a HUGE Tucker fan. Have been from the Tampa days. His job is to make the other players and fans hate him. Guess what, he's good at it. He is supposed to be the guy that you want to see get hurt.

All in all, with all the injury's, our boys in blue have done a fantastic job. Guys like Roberts are playing with so much heart and soul.

So let's all give a GO LEAFS GO chant tonight and cheer on the buds.

Besides, with all the determination and grit and heart and soul that the leafs play with, I'M POSITIVE THAT BONO WILL BE CHEERING FOR THE LEAFS!!!!!!

mike in toronto
GO LEAFS GO!!!!

LEAFS RULE!!!!!

[This message has been edited by MunkyMan (edited 05-14-2002).]

One of them is how a stadium or Americans can boo the Canadian national anthem just because they hate a team from Canada. Have a little respect!
[/B][/QUOTE]

Dude, I DID NOT boo the Canadian National Anthem and MOST people did not boo it either. If you wanna label an entire culture b/c of a few minorities, then do so. I would hope that you are smarter than that, though.

Originally posted by Edgeman:
One of them is how a stadium or Americans can boo the Canadian national anthem just because they hate a team from Canada. Have a little respect!

not cool edgeman. the same disrespect was clearly displayed by fans in vancouver.

the leafs have lost 2, perhaps 3, games on account of bad officiating. not that they wouldn't have lost those games anyway, but to lose on the bad call is what bothers them.
the leafs are complaining no more than any other team. there is a lot of media generated hype that is helping this image along.

I don't think it is the complaining that non-leafs fans get upset with. I feel that it is the hypocrisy shown by the Leafs players, coaches and fans when it comes to complaining!

For example, in the opening round, every time an Islander player, fan or coach complained, Quinn et al would fire back and say that the Isles should stop whining and that Laviolette and Milbury's complaining is having an effect on the series. That is utter nonsense.

The Leafs bitched that the penalty shot call in game 4 is the reason the Leafs lost. That is false. Cujo's INABILITY to STOP the penalty shot is the reason the Leafs lost that game.

It is the same thing with the Isles and many of their/our fans: Peca's and Jonnson's injuries are not the reason that the Isles lost, but rather the Isles inability to adapt to playing w/out those guys. They could have retaliated against Tucker and Roberts etal and they could have went out and won the series but they didn't. They only have themselves to blame. End of story.

I wish that people in this world would just take responsibility for their own actions. You can't change somebody elses actions, only your own.

Everyone seems to be playing nice!!! Does this mean we all love the leafs now!!!! and hey, the booing that was done was done by classless people and not to complain, but COME ON, there is so a consipacy to keep the cup out of Canada, THUS the bad officiating against the canadian teams!! i mean, ESPN would hate two canadian teams in the finals. It would be bad for ratings. Say what you want, but GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!

MBH, Give a cheer for the good guys tonight, eh!!

mike in toronto
go LEAFS GO!!!!!

Originally posted by MBH:
[BFor example, in the opening round, every time an Islander player, fan or coach complained, Quinn et al would fire back and say that the Isles should stop whining and that Laviolette and Milbury's complaining is having an effect on the series. That is utter nonsense.[/b]

that was the islanders natural reaction to being down 2 games out of 2 games. when quinn is asked by the media about milbury's actions what do you think he's gonna do? give them a big thumbs up!?! they're just going through the motions. every team does it and no team does it more than any other. remember there is more focus on the maple leafs than any other team in hockey at virtually any point in time so you tend to get a lot more print out of the team
wink.gif

The Leafs bitched that the penalty shot call in game 4 is the reason the Leafs lost. That is false. Cujo's INABILITY to STOP the penalty shot is the reason the Leafs lost that game.

well it's open to interpretation but from what i read and the people i talked to the complaint was that it was a blown call. the penalty shot should not have been awarded. everyone knows cujo got beat, it's the fact that(and here we go with 'playoff rules again) with 4 minutes left in a playoff game, score tied, good game up until then that is unheard of to be called as a penalty shot. 2 minute minor fine, but giving up a shot is ridiculous. is this the olympics? (this is blown call which directly resulted in a loss #1)
same goes for game 3(i think) of sens-leafs. this is the game where cujo complained about the non-call on interference that gave the sens the third and winning goal. cujo is playing games. he was attempting to get the sens out of his net and the refs watching out for it. i was surprised how little complaint the leafs made over the first goal in that game. arvedson holds hoglund's stick from the blue line right up beside cujo. hoglund, unable to do anything, can't control arvedson and arvedson tips it in(this is another blown call, final score was a margin of 1 so it's of course arguable whether the leafs lost as a direct result of this call. by my criteria it is not). and then just last weekend, alfie hits tucker from behind, no call. tucker had been covering alfredsson very well all night but now on the ground in pain, his man alfie spins and fires the puck home for the win.(this is a blown non-call which directly resulted in a win for the sens) i think any team would be complaining if they had gone through those 3 incidents.

End of story.

you're right.
there is little doubt in my mind that someone in the islanders-leafs series was going to get injured. peca gave it a good go with his slashing stick. so did roberts. so did isbister. so did tucker. so did webb. so did green. so did-oh you get the point. as i've said before the two players who actually did go down were isles. but it could have just as easily been maple leafs.

Originally posted by MunkyMan:
there is so a consipacy to keep the cup out of Canada, THUS the bad officiating against the canadian teams!! i mean, ESPN would hate two canadian teams in the finals. It would be bad for ratings.

it is actually widely known in media circles that espn would prefer the maple leafs out of the three remaining candidates in the east. even montreal has more brand currency as a team than the carolina hurricanes do amongst the american public. i would think after the isles, flyers, devils and bruins were gone in the east toronto would be the top pick for markets.

You're right!! Toronto is the top market. I'm just talking about the on going consipracy theroy. GO LEAFS. That's all that matters on this blue and white tuesday.

BLEED BLUE EVERYONE!!

mike in toronto
GO LEAFS GO!!!

Originally posted by MunkyMan:
Everyone seems to be playing nice!!! Does this mean we all love the leafs now!!!! and hey, the booing that was done was done by classless people and not to complain, but COME ON, there is so a consipacy to keep the cup out of Canada, THUS the bad officiating against the canadian teams!! i mean, ESPN would hate two canadian teams in the finals. It would be bad for ratings. Say what you want, but GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!

MBH, Give a cheer for the good guys tonight, eh!!

mike in toronto
go LEAFS GO!!!!!

A conspiracy to keep the Cup out of Canada? You're kidding right? None of the Canadian teams have been able to put together a team over the past decade to bring a Cup to Canada. Speaking of conspiracies, I think the NHL wanted the Leafs to win against the Isles! Either way, only those who play can control the outcome in the end.

I would love to hear your theories on who shot Kennedy....

you're right.
there is little doubt in my mind that someone in the islanders-leafs series was going to get injured. peca gave it a good go with his slashing stick. so did roberts. so did isbister. so did tucker. so did webb. so did green. so did-oh you get the point. as i've said before the two players who actually did go down were isles. but it could have just as easily been maple leafs.

Dude, for the most part, you make sense and I agree with most of what you say. Sometimes you seem to ignore the facts.

Let me explain: "the two players who actually did go down were isles. but it could have just as easily been maple leafs."

Kobayashi, the POINT IS THAT IT WAS ISLES THAT WERE HURT AND NOT LEAFS!!!

We live in a world of what HAS HAPPENED, not what could have happened.

As for the penalty shot: yes, usually penalty shots are not called late in playoff games. THAT IS WRONG. The NHL looks like bufoons b/c of all of the rule changes(overtime, officitating, etc...). Penalty shots should be called more often, penalties in general should be called late in games but there not and the NHL looks like shit by making up different rules in the reg. season, the playoffs and the Olympics as well.

GO CAROLINA GO!!! Kick some Maple Leaf ass! (It's not so much that I'm a Sens fan that I'm a anti-Leafs fan, hehe...and of course the CBC broadcasters made me hate Toronto even more)...

I'm Canadian but :

GO CAROLINA!!!!!!

And for the Stanley Cup:

GO COLORADO!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ladywithspinninghead (edited 05-14-2002).]

WHOO F'N HOO!!!! i'm sooo happy right now. Carolina look out. What a supurb game. oh my god, what a great game. Leafs rule. Were going to the cup!!!!! The drought is over!!!!! Time to carry the torch for the country now!! More tommorow. I'm too tired now. Thanks ottawa for a good game!!!!

hey MBH, the guy who shot kennedy was the secert sevrice guy walking beside the car!!!! Just joking. I'm sure it was Oswald.( I don't want to get into the whole Kennedy thing )

I'm just estatic. how can anyone from Canada NOT cheer for the leafs? This team is all heart baby!!!!!

mike in toronto
GO LEAFS GO!!!!

The only reason why I want to see the Leafs win the Conference Final is so they can school the Canes but that doesn't mean I like them.

Okay, okay

I'm sorry about my comment about the booing of anthems. I admit that my post was all rant, so I will retract my statement and admit that I made my statement in ignorance. I apologise to all the American (and Canadian) fans I have offended.

But I still stand by the Leafs!!!!

GO LEAFS GO!!!

------------------
You Elevate My Soul!

Hey edgeman, that's the spirit!!!!! I like hearing people yell GO LEAFS GO!!!! Should be a hell of a game!!!!!!

WHOO HOO!!!!!LEAFS RULE!!!!

mike in toronto
GO LEAFS GO!!!!

Originally posted by MBH:
Dude, for the most part, you make sense and I agree with most of what you say. Sometimes you seem to ignore the facts.

Let me explain: "the two players who actually did go down were isles. but it could have just as easily been maple leafs."

Kobayashi, the POINT IS THAT IT WAS ISLES THAT WERE HURT AND NOT LEAFS!!!

We live in a world of what HAS HAPPENED, not what could have happened.

As for the penalty shot: yes, usually penalty shots are not called late in playoff games. THAT IS WRONG. The NHL looks like bufoons b/c of all of the rule changes(overtime, officitating, etc...). Penalty shots should be called more often, penalties in general should be called late in games but there not and the NHL looks like shit by making up different rules in the reg. season, the playoffs and the Olympics as well.

at times you also make sense MBH. but when you say the leafs are dirty and then dismiss my comment that the isles were at the same time dirty, well that doesn't make much sense
wink.gif

Well, one day later and I'm still living on cloud nine with that superb win. Question. I don't know much about Carolina, can someone tell me what to expect from this team?? I have a good feeling that the leafs can go to the finals!!!

mike in toronto
GO LEAFS GO!!!

p.s. - did anyone see Gary Bettman (sp?) on hockey night in canada last night? Wow, that guy is a moron!!

carolina is driven by what has become known as the bbc line, bates battaglia, rob brindamour, and upstart rookie eric cole.
they also have sammi kapanen and ron francis. they are to be contended with. it will not be easy for the maple leafs. canes are a young disciplined team enjoying great and largely unexpected success from cole especially. i don't know much about thier defence.
if they have one weakness it is in net. i can't remember a time a team has been as successful as they have been while intentionally rotating their goalies trying to hit the hot guy on the right night. logically that is not a good strategy but it has worked splendidly for them this far.

[edit]here is a good article on canes hockey at the moment-->the toronto sun
written By MIKE ZEISBERGER -- Toronto Sun

NASCAR, college hoops and the moonshine industry temporarily have been put on the backburner on Tobacco Road.

Ice hockey's the trendy thing in Carolina now, a fact the Maple Leafs are about to discover. As coach Paul Maurice's team prepares to host the Leafs in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final at the Raleigh Sports and Entertainment Arena tomorrow night, Hurricane fever has gripped the Raleigh-Durham area like never before.

After eliminating the Montreal Canadiens with an impressive 8-2 drubbing at the Molson Centre Monday night, the Hurricanes arrived in rainy Carolina in the wee hours yesterday morning to find about 1,000 fans at the airport to welcome home their hockey heroes. Meanwhile, dozens of people braved the drizzly elements in the middle of the night to wait for the ticket office to open. According to team spokesman Jerry Higgins, there were significant lineups at the wickets all day.

The Leafs were 2-2 against the Hurricanes during the regular season, posting single victories at home and on the road. Both teams scored 12 goals in the four-game series.

One of the scariest moments of the Leafs' regular season came late in the first period of a 4-3 loss to the Hurricanes in Raleigh on Dec. 26.

As Mats Sundin was lurking in front of the Carolina net, the stick of Hurricanes defenceman Marek Malik clipped him within a hair of his right eyeball. As blood spewed onto the ice, observers were reminded of the eye injury that almost ended the career of Bryan Berard. Fortunately after a major stitch-up job, Sundin, wearing a visor, returned in the second period and went on to score a pair of goals.

There are a number of interesting connections between the two teams.

Former Leaf Kevyn Adams, who still speaks with close friend Alyn McCauley on a weekly basis, scored a highlight reel goal for the Hurricanes Monday night in Montreal.

"I loved (Toronto)," Adams said yesterday. "The fans were great to me there. The (Leafs) gave me my big break in the NHL and I'll never forget that. Toronto has such a talented team. They can beat you so many different ways."

Meanwhile, the Carolina organization gave Leafs forward Gary Roberts the opportunity to revive his career after sitting out the 1996-97 season with a neck injury. Roberts played for the Hurricanes from 1997-99 and is regarded as one of the most popular players in Carolina history.

Goalie Tom Barrasso, out with a fractured left wrist, played most of this season with Carolina before being traded to Toronto in March.
[edit]

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 05-15-2002).]

Just wanted to get pumped about game 1 tonight. Whoo HOO, Game 1, round 3. 8 wins away for the cup!!!

C'mon everyone, GO LEAFS GO!!!!

mike in toronto
GO LEAFS GO!!!

Back
Top Bottom