GO LEAFS GO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by kobayashi:
GO LEAFS GO!!!!

i love it when we all agree
wink.gif

HEY!!!! I'm rooting for the SENS!!!!! Me no like the Tea Leafs, as a matter of fact, I chopped down the Mapleleaf tree in my back yard the other day!!
wink.gif
Damn Canadians!!!!!

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

glad to see we all still agree on the leafs supremacy
wink.gif

cherry is for entertainment.

he is definetely right some of the time but others he is way off base, in my opinion. thus he is best approached as entertainment. the exchanges between him and maclean are hilarious.

oh we won
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

i realized that as the puck dropped to start. i knew they'd pull it off, at least i was pretty certain but it's only getin' harder now. they did on the worst of all the chances for both teams as well. goddamn wish i was there tonite
wink.gif

ottawa has never been friendly for the leafs. i still think my original prediction will hold: split going back to toronto for game 5 and sundin will return to crack it for the maple leafs. i hope
wink.gif

DON CHERRY RULES!!!! He is right on the money... most of the time. Tonight, the Leafs will win. The sens beat us good, no doubt, but tonight is payback. and payback is a bitch!!!!

p.s. Corson Didn't kick, like Cherry said, "he was trying to knee the guy in the head!!"

mike in toronto

Go lEAfs GO!!!!!

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
you got a bit lucky, with your man knocking the net off a split second before Ottawa got the game-winner, stupidest rule in all of sports, defensive man is permitted to cheat, I'm still bitter, it cost the Devils a game against Carolina

this is true.

you got a bit lucky, with your man knocking the net off a split second before Ottawa got the game-winner, stupidest rule in all of sports, defensive man is permitted to cheat, I'm still bitter, it cost the Devils a game against Carolina

Originally posted by MunkyMan:
DON CHERRY RULES!!!! He is right on the money... most of the time. Tonight, the Leafs will win. The sens beat us good, no doubt, but tonight is payback. and payback is a bitch!!!!

p.s. Corson Didn't kick, like Cherry said, "he was trying to knee the guy in the head!!"

mike in toronto

Go lEAfs GO!!!!!

Love 'em or hate 'em, you must admit that Cherry is one of the most violent-loving, insensible, illogical, Canadien-biased, tempermental, unintelligible sports commentators that has ever been.

He may be loved up there in Canada, but down here in the States, he is thought of as a buffoon!!!!

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 05-07-2002).]

sooooo, was cujo right? Was it goaltender interference?? ( the third goal )

mike in toronto
go LEafs GO!!!

slightly. i don't think that the complaining he is doing is warranted but it's the playoffs and mind games are a pre-requisite.
much worse was the first ottawa goal. arvedson had control of hoglunds stick from the blue line as they both coasted down the ice. arvedson is just able to get his stick to alter it.
the leafs only have themselves to blame. they have played 10 games in these playoffs-->1 of them has been well played.

well, I don't know if any of you have ever heard of destiny.
But it certainly montreals destiny to win the cup. The last place team winning the cup, what a headline that will be.

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Tonight is the night!!!! Leafs 4 Ottawa 2!!!

and for the Montreal thing, the one thing that leaf fans hate the most I think are the habs!!!! If we face the habs in round 3 and the habs beat us, I don't think the leaf fans will be able to put up wiht it!!! Let me end with a joke....

How many Habs fans does it take to change a light bulb??

Two....one to change it and one to talk about how great the old light bulb used to be!!!!

mike in toronto
GO LEAFS GO!!!

Munky, with all due respect i don't think that was the best joke to post in respect to your 'leaf'ness. someone is going to twist that joke against us by night's end
wink.gif

i also like the leafs tonight. they were only good after cujo flipped the other night. after that they introduced desperation to the game and played probably their best 3 minutes of these playoffs. that sounds ridiculous, extending three minutes into a game, but if they don't come with heart tonight, with checking and standing in front of lalime, than they fully deserve the likely fate that will stand before them when they lose.

------------------
This is Tiger the Lion
Gimme the Knuckles of Frisco
If there?s danger in the language, gentlemen,
I suggest no further use of the two-way radio.

W.T.F.!!!!! What a way to end the game. I don't think our beloved leafs will ever get a break!!!! It was a penalty and a cheap shot and should have been called. I could go on, but I think the actions speak for themselves!!!

mike in toronto
GO LEafsGO!!!

W.T.F.!!!!! What a way to end the game. I don't think our beloved leafs will ever get a break!!!! It was a penalty and a cheap shot and should have been called. I could go on, but I think the actions speak for themselves!!!

mike in toronto
GO LEafsGO!!!

Talk about karma and justice!

Darcy Tucker is taken out by Daniel Alfredson and is now injured for the rest of the playoffs(probably 1 more game). This could not have happened to a nicer guy. The leafs fans were up in arms after the hit took place and complained for a penalty and a review of the play. Today Tucker bitched that the league won't do anything about the hit.

These actions are coming from the same fans that wanted the Islanders fans to shut up just a couple of short weeks ago; the same player who placed a cheap hit on a star player and a team that thrives on dirty play, when necessary.

What a bunch of hypocrites.

What goes around comes around!

i have lost so much respect for the leafs this post season its not even funny. the bitching and complaining never ends!

if anyone deserved what they got, it was tucker. what an asshole.

------------------
after years of waiting, nothing came.

It was a bad call on the ref's part, that's for sure, and Alfredson should have recieved a penalty for the hit. But as to whether there should've been a review, no. Tucker got what he deserved after his submarine on Peca. The fact that he whines and complains about all the non-calls also doesn't help his case, nor does it win him any respect with the league. It sucks to be in his position but... He lives by the sword, now he dies by the sword.

Originally posted by MBH:

Darcy Tucker is taken out by Daniel Alfredson and is now injured for the rest of the playoffs(probably 1 more game). This could not have happened to a nicer guy. The leafs fans were up in arms after the hit took place and complained for a penalty and a review of the play. Today Tucker bitched that the league won't do anything about the hit.

These actions are coming from the same fans that wanted the Islanders fans to shut up just a couple of short weeks ago; the same player who placed a cheap hit on a star player and a team that thrives on dirty play, when necessary.

I couldn't agree more. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
i have lost so much respect for the leafs this post season its not even funny. the bitching and complaining never ends!

if anyone deserved what they got, it was tucker. what an asshole.

I may appear biaised being from Ottawa but I'm a Habs fan actually; anyhow, I completely and utterly agree with you Zoom....
Also, Don Cherry has helped make me hate them, too..."no pride" because the Sens won't respond in kind?!? what an idiot...

Originally posted by MBH:

you're right. we leafs fans can be pretty bad. also realize you can quite easily be cast as a hypocrite.

alfie's hit, much like roberts on jonsson, is, perhaps, unfortunately playoff hockey.
darcy was prepared to take it. he knows that's his game and this is the part he has to 'deal' with.
no one faults alfredsson for it.
in the end, it doesn't look as if darcy will be able to come back nearly as soon as jonsson would have.
it's the games fault. it is the point we are at now. see the forest from the trees please
tongue.gif

Let's get some things straight.
1. If tucker had hit alferdson, the play would have been stopped.
2. Tucker is not an asshole, but rather a player that you love to hate. Love him when he is on your team, hate him when he is not.
3. Tucker's hit on peca was a LEGAL hit.
4. It should have been a penalty. Play should have been stopped. period.
5. LEAFS RULE!!!!!

mike in toronto
go LEAFS GO!!!

p.s. Here's to a a good game 7 and hopefully a habs vs leafs round 3!!!!

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:
Also, Don Cherry has helped make me hate them, too..."no pride" because the Sens won't respond in kind?!? what an idiot...

cherry's point is that if you are going to mix it up, you shouldn't be doing it just to withdraw and get your team a penalty. it's a very similar theory to his that says 'wear a visor if you want but don't take off your gloves with it on.'
i would agree with it in the regular season perhaps.
but in the playoffs, much like delivering an illegal hit or taking a nasty cut, you do whatever you have to do to win.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
you're right. we leafs fans can be pretty bad. also realize you can quite easily be cast as a hypocrite.

alfie's hit, much like roberts on jonsson, is, perhaps, unfortunately playoff hockey.
darcy was prepared to take it. he knows that's his game and this is the part he has to 'deal' with.
no one faults alfredsson for it.
in the end, it doesn't look as if darcy will be able to come back nearly as soon as jonsson would have.
it's the games fault. it is the point we are at now. see the forest from the trees please
tongue.gif

Please explain to me how I can be cast as a hypocrite? Sure the Alfredsonn hit was cheap and he should've been penalized for it. However, Tucker, although he won't admit it, knew exactly what he was doing against Peca, yet still complained about the Alfredsonn hit.

You CONSTANTLY say that it is playoff hockey and that's just the way it is and that these things are expected, blah, blah, blah...it is for these reasons, or shall I say irrational non-reasons, that the NHL is somewhat of a joke, will not ever receive the attention it deserves in the US. The league execs(especially that moron Colin Cambell) do not enforce or penalize the players and therefore this nonsense and dirty tactics take place. It is a joke.

Every other league enforces the rules and ultimately those leagues receive more respect.

What did that nitwit Don Cherry have to say about the hit?

Let's get some things straight.
1. If tucker had hit alferdson, the play would have been stopped.
2. Tucker is not an asshole, but rather a player that you love to hate. Love him when he is on your team, hate him when he is not.
3. Tucker's hit on peca was a LEGAL hit.
4. It should have been a penalty. Play should have been stopped. period.
5. LEAFS RULE!!!!!

mike in toronto
go LEAFS GO!!!

p.s. Here's to a a good game 7 and hopefully a habs vs leafs round 3!!!!

First of all, you are assuming that play would've stopped if Tucker placed the hit. Nobody knows for sure.

Secondly, Tucker complained that there are different rules for different players in the NHL; he has a point there but only Tucker can control his repuatation and the rules in life are enforced based on one's repuatation; Tucker is a rough player(that is being nice) so the league takes notice more if he places hits than if a star like Alfredsonn places a hit; that's life.

The Tucker hit on Peca WAS NOT a legal hit. Sure according to the NHL it was a legal hit; short of murdering someone on the ice, most hits in the NHL are legal; that is why the NHL is viewed as comical in the States and why the game is better in the Olympics when the TRUE skilled players play. Tucker's hit was premeditated and it was low; I have rooted for Kasparitus years ago and he always places hip checks so I am familiar with a hip check--Tucker's hit WAS NOT A HIP CHECK.

By the way, since you are a biased and view things with blinders on, your opinions do not carry much credibility.

i apologize MBH. i did not expect you to state the illegality of alfredsson's hit, as you had not done in your first post but did in the second. i would say you could be cast as hypocrite if you hadn't but you did, please accept my apology.

MBH i never said i agreed with the way things are called in the playoffs. i only ever told you that that is just the way it is. there is a different standard from the regular season. the players accept it, the irrational fans do when it favors their team and reject it when it doesn't
wink.gif
. the refs generally do as well. but there are things that cross the line such as the alfredsson hit on tucker, the roberts hit on jonsson, and the penalty the leafs got with about 6 minutes remaining last nite(can't remember specifics, i was there but it was a penalty). those are and should be penalties. there is now a debate in ottawa about whether or not persson's hit last night displayed an intent to injure and thus should have only been 2 2 minute minors(i don't see a large difference though as the leafs only scored 2 on that).

now that you are saying yes tucker's hit was within the rules, BUT those rules are silly. well you're fighting up against a brick wall. the rules are the rules. it is unfortunately doubtful that they will be changed drastically in the near future. if you don't enjoy the way the game is played i suggest you not worry yourself with the league. i was questioning myself for all the money i lay down to see the maple leafs and pay for my center ice cable after the missed alfreddson penalty. see my earlier post in a long past thread about the state of the game.
i really don't think we're that far apart in opinion once again MBH
wink.gif

not a hip check?? Then what do you call the space between your knees and your ass!!! He certainly hit him a with a hip check. Dacry Tucker IS a good player when he shows up to play. He was the number 2 scoring on the leafs this year. He just gets a little emotional at times. He has been playing with the flu the last little while too!!!He's been known to draw a penalty now and then, but that's no reason to hate the guy!

When you said "By the way, since you are a biased and view things with blinders on, your opinions do not carry much credibility."
Well my friend, I can say the same about you and all the bitching and crying you non leafs fans do. Enjoy the off season.

not a hip check?? Then what do you call the space between your knees and your ass!!! He certainly hit him a with a hip check. Dacry Tucker IS a good player when he shows up to play. He was the number 2 scoring on the leafs this year. He just gets a little emotional at times. He has been playing with the flu the last little while too!!!He's been known to draw a penalty now and then, but that's no reason to hate the guy!

When you said "By the way, since you are a biased and view things with blinders on, your opinions do not carry much credibility."
Well my friend, I can say the same about you and all the bitching and crying you non leafs fans do. Enjoy the off season.

You continue to show your biasedness and ignore what I wrote to you in the previous post!

Tucker hit Peca at the KNEES!!! The Knees are located in a different area than the hips are on the human body. That is a fact. I suggest watching the hit again if you do not believe me. Combine that with the fact that Tucker threatened Peca(not too mention he also threatened to kill Jason Blake off the ice) and the hit is rendered illegal.

As I was telling Kobayashi in an earlier post, the NHL thrives on thugery, rough/physical play and is not strict toward enforcing injury-laden hits and thereby rule that these illegal hits are legal. That may be confusing, but it makes sense. The point is: just b/c the asses that run the league determine the hit legal, doesn't necessarily make it a legal hit. I will have to live with that, though.

As for your "no reason to hate the guy" quote. Threatening and taking out the best player on the team which I support is certainly reason enough to hate Darcy Tucker. I am not a violent person. However, I must admit that I was happy after viewing the Alfredsonn hit and learning of Tucker's injury.

To be honest with you, the Isles have only themselves to blame for losing. They did not lose b/c of the hits. They lost b/c they did not learn how to play w/out their injured players while the Leafs did. I am disappointed that the Isles did not take matters into their own hands and "take out" one of the Leafs(that is cruel, but would have been fair considering what the Leafs did)

I did not necessarily complain about the hits, but rather tried to explain them and add some rational to a irrational situation. Kobayashi cleary understands where I am coming from. Unfortunately, you don't.

One final thing regarding your "have a nice offseason quote." I will. I root for the greatest team in all of sports in the Yankees and I have a young, solid Islander team to look forward to for many years to come along with a glorious past to remember.

On the other hand, you have a 36th consecutive year of Stanley Cup futility in your future along with an aging crop of free agents on the horizon. That is nothing short of embarrasing.

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 05-13-2002).]

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 05-13-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom