G'n'R / Nirvana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whoops that was the wrong question to make I guess....LOL

Appetite for Destruction was made like 15 years ago its still going strong... it would have died long ago but it's still mentioned with reverence/ respect to this day...

Bono's output has been much greater than Kurt's in terms of songwriting and he has created songs that can match Cobain's any day... and to be honest the melancholy and angst is pretty 1 dimensional. LOL, even Courtney Love said so (the one dimensional part).

Flying FuManchu said:
I know I shouldn't blame Nirvana for the way modern rock in America is these days b/c IMO its actually American music culture that is the root cause. But I'm not blind to the fact (and I hope people don't ignore it) that Nirvana helped contribute to the idea/ movement of rock music being plain metal-based power chord riffs, filled with angst, shouting, and almost no guitar solos. Sure there are the Wilcos, Pavements,etc out there but they are like the few needles in the haystack. Its the Cobain spawn that dominate not only mainstrea radio but the "alt" rock radio. Real power pop, with humor or fun/ whimsical music IMO was the what was killed IMO rather than hair metal. At least Hair metal died, but the "alt rock" still keeps chugging.... ugh.

Valid points indeed!

I cannot stand all the labels that have cropped up in the last few years...power-pop, alt-rock.....blech. Why do we need to pigeonhole a band???? Anyone?

So we know what is cool and uncool to listen to! Thank you, yes. That's what sucks. This whole industry has turned into one big ugly clique...a popularity contest.

lets re-task (how corporate is that?)!!!!

I think these two albums are impossible to pull apart and say "one is better."

spades.

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:
I know I shouldn't blame Nirvana for the way modern rock in America is these days b/c IMO its actually American music culture that is the root cause. But I'm not blind to the fact (and I hope people don't ignore it) that Nirvana helped contribute to the idea/ movement of rock music being plain metal-based power chord riffs, filled with angst, shouting, and almost no guitar solos. Sure there are the Wilcos, Pavements,etc out there but they are like the few needles in the haystack. Its the Cobain spawn that dominate not only mainstrea radio but the "alt" rock radio. Real power pop, with humor or fun/ whimsical music IMO was the what was killed IMO rather than hair metal. At least Hair metal died, but the "alt rock" still keeps chugging.... ugh.

I agree to some point. Personally I don't miss the drawn out guitar solo.

But hair metal died because of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. It will take the next huge wave of something new in rock to kill the mediocracy we hear now. Unfortunately it's just taking way too damn long.

I know very little about Nirvana
personally I must say that the songs I've heard from Heart Shaped Box sounded much more interesting than those on Nevermind to me

at least both Nirvana and Guns 'n Roses didn't try to hide who influenced them
I'll give them that

Back
Top Bottom