Gin Blossoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I've only heard 3 songs from this great American band...

Hey Jealousy
Til I hear it from you
Follow You Down

...and I love all three.

Im trying to get into this band, Hard to find their albums in shops though.

Does anyone know whether it would it be best to purchase all their albums or go for their 'best of' first?

I love their music, full of the sweetest vocal harmonies and mouthwatering hooks and melodies. The songs seem so straightforward and almost cliche. Lyrically they seem almost dull, but every word i've heard has great effect on myself as a listener.

Perhaps their songs are boring yet brilliant.

Hard to put the Gin Blossoms into a genre category. They are typical of a kind of american music that emerged in the mid 90's.

Kinda guitar pop/alternative with punk tendancies. Similar sound to rembrandts (another band i wanna get into) and the only BoDeans song I've heard Closer to Free.

Anyway they are great. Lookin forward to exploring their music. Anyone got anything they recommend to an aspiring gin blossoms fan?

Definitely buy "New Miserable Experience" it was their big, break through album, with some great songs on it, "Hey Jealousy," "Until I Fall Away," and "Found Out About You"

Hey, I used to really like the Gins, good pop tunes, with catchy hooks. They are one of those bands that you never recognize until you hear thier greatest hits comp.

Then you say, oh yeah, I know this one.....

Kinda fun, cant say it has much staying power though. Ive almost forgot about them...

New Miserable Experience and the best of, Outside Looking In are both really nice. I never really got into the other album, except for the stuff on Outside Looking In. They're a fabulous pop group and really what I wish pop music had stayed like.

I have New Miserable Experience. I only listen to it a time or two each year, but when I do, I love it. Solid music and good for singing along to. :up:

Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience. Wow, that takes me back! I loved this CD at the time, but haven't heard it in ages! Should this be in the 'Whatever Happened To...' forum? :wink:

i got their "big" album back in 1999 for christmas. yes, i was behind the times.

regardless, the three songs you mentioned are quite fun. i never listen to them anymore, and i can tell you the rest of their stuff is quite boring.

i'd download the three, and forget about spending the money. they're old news, though they were ok back in the day.

As said above 'New Miserable Experience' is a great cd :up:

Sadly, Doug Hopkins committed suicided after NME was released but the band went on without him. I just don't think they were ever able to write the great songs that Hopkins did.

:(

Ahh harmless unoffensive middle of the road pop rock :wink:
Like the Goo Goo Dolls (actually my memory is telling me they fall slightly below mediocre), Things of Stone and Wood, Better Than Ezra..I do like a bit of Better Than Ezra though.

Let's all hail the forgotten middle of the road groups from the mid 90's
:drool:

Got the best of!.....and I got no regrets! Classic tracks on here.

Loving: Day Job, Pieces of the Night, Alison Road, Found Out About You...and of course Follow You Down and Hey Jealousy.

What a band! And they're reforming!

i just saw them play back in july at a place called the morton aboretum, nearby where i live....it was totally random, we heard that they were playing there, and decided to go just for the hell of it....good times

in the tempest said:
Yeah, they're pretty neat. The Lemonheads are way better, though.

:drool:

Now there's a 90's band worthy of a thread! Brilliant pop, but Evan's solo album a year or two ago sucked. Still, it's hard to compare GB's and Lemonheads.

Gin Blossoms wrote some great stuff, but it was very hit or miss. Funny, the high school kids I know are just now discovering Gin Blossoms, and they love it too. It's all like classic rock to them, so I end up feeling like an old codger. But I've been re-exposed to them, and it's still great music.

Saw them live once at a festival last year... pretty close too. Their good musicians, and their music wasn't that bad either. I don't think they've recorded any new material yet though, so it looks like they just reunited to tour for the meanwhile (which is alright, I guess).

Until I Fall Away is killer though...

Back
Top Bottom