Getting a new computer...any recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Out of Control

The Fly
Hi, I haven't posted here in a while but will be now, one reason was my computer sucked (and still does)...so...I'm getting myself a new computer for x-mas, I really only use it for downloading music, surfing the net, etc....anything I should look for when buying one?

Thanks.

If you want to buy a Dell online I think I can get you in through our educational access program (everything's like 10% cheaper).

allienware are the best performance pcs. You can find them at alienware.com they are expensive but well worth it. Dells are good too and much cheaper. If had the money I would go for an alienware but I've had a dell for 4 years and have not had one single problem with it.

If you've got money to kick around, check out the latest from Apple....
20-inch screen iMac G5--it's $1900....the 17inch is a fuckin bargain at $1500, but they're both ridiculously sweet desktop computers.

The 17inch powerbook kicks ass if you want a laptop....I stage managed a play that apple sponsored, and they donated one so we could mix live audio at each performance, holy crap was that fun.

If you're a PC user, I'd go for a new Dell, those function pretty well, and they're not too expensive. I'm a mac user myself and think they just make more sense, plus they're better for my side job as an audio engineer. My favorite thing about macs is that all the programs aren't linked, so if one program freezes, you can force quit that program without having to shut down the whole damn computer-windows is screwy and annoying that way.

bayernfc said:

WalMart sells PCs? :reject:

Yeah, I got my first PC (HP) from Sam's Club. I didn't want a Dell and was fed up with Best Buy and their stupid rebates. I'm not sure if they offer warranties, but it worked out since I never once had a problem with that computer and recently sold it for WAY more than I expected to get.

tennispunk said:
My favorite thing about macs is that all the programs aren't linked, so if one program freezes, you can force quit that program without having to shut down the whole damn computer-windows is screwy and annoying that way.

actually there is a way to quit just one program in windows, ctrl-alt-delete....then go to task manager and you can select the program that's not running and end it. That's the case with win 2k anyway.

haha well that just shows how long it's been since i've spent any time using a PC....on my last PC, ctrl-alt-delete just restarted the thing.

i'm glad to see PCs have been improving. :applaud:

LoveTown said:

actually there is a way to quit just one program in windows, ctrl-alt-delete....then go to task manager and you can select the program that's not running and end it. That's the case with win 2k anyway.

tennispunk said:
haha well that just shows how long it's been since i've spent any time using a PC....on my last PC, ctrl-alt-delete just restarted the thing.
actually, pressing ctrl+alt+delete twice has always been what will reboot it.

Back
Top Bottom