Getting a Job

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildHoneyAlways

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I'd like to ask all those wise ones out there for some help. I am a high school teacher but I can not find a job. Yes, yes, they say there is a teacher shortage but they are full of sh*t. I finished my teacher certification last May and have not been able to find a position. It is totally possible that I am a horrible interview. It is entirely possible that I am not aggressive enough.

For those of you who have jobs, how did you get them? How do I answer the question "why should we hire you?" I am desparate and open to all suggestions. :wink: Thanks!

WHA -

there is a shortage...but it is often in school districts and areas of the country people would otherwise NOT want to teach in. Have you tried inner-city Chicago? You get paid well, but, from what I hear, it is quite defeating.

I had a friend move to a somewhat remote city in California to "help a shortage." She HATED it...but got some experience and returned to Minnesota and found a good job.

As for prior employment...I finally went to Alexander's last month. I wimped out had the chef's cook for me. :D

argh, i'm job hunting now, in the midst of the chaos...I'm not a teacher, so I don't know if I can help on that, but what I've discovered thus far is that you have to be very persistent. Send follow up emails, call...I HATE being like that, but it does help. Also, is there anything you can say about yourself that's a bit different for the 'why they should hire you" question? I don't konw what typical answers in your field who be, but...is maybe telling a cheesy story about a teacher who inspired you common? I know someone once told me that every school has that one teacher that everyone loves and is so involved in the school community, and the kids consider them more than just a teacher, etc, and they were telling me that my mom (a teacher, clearly) is that teacher at her school. I don't know if it's too cheesy, but something about aiming to be that... ?? Ok, I've rambled. Hopefully somethign made sense though. ;)

zoney! said:
WHA -
As for prior employment...I finally went to Alexander's last month. I wimped out had the chef's cook for me. :D

Eddie is the man! He always cooks for me. :D

Anyway, I have applied to Chicago Public Schools...I'm willing to teach there for sure.

I always feel strange about calling. I feel much more comfortable when I can leave a voicemail rather than speak to someone. It's not that I'm a tool or anything, it's just that I don't know how to sell myself without sounding cliche.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I will start making phone calls tomorrow. :huh: Job hunting sucks.

I have mentioned this book before and I'm going to keep mentioning it because it's a great book for job seekers.

'Knock Em Dead' by Martin Yate

He has written several books that deal the hunt for employment. There is one that specifically deals with interviews and how to answer those difficult questions. It is available on Amazon and is still under $20. It may even be available at your local library.

Good luck with your job search. :up:

I agree with fah. Get an interview book. I didn't have that one....I'm not sure the name of the one I have but it helped out so much. The only question it didn't give me an answer to that I've always struggle with is the "what's your weakness" question. There's a thread in this forum from just a few weeks ago titled that. I had a few interviews and needed some quick answers.

I've been out of work a lot the past few years due to layoffs. I haven't worked since March and just got a new job that I'll be starting in a few weeks. My interview for this job was about 15 minutes and she did more talking than I did. I just told her what I knew how to do and she told me what the job was and that was that. Not one single "interview" question. I have a lot of experience so I know that's why I was hired but I've also interviewed for similar jobs at other places and have not gotten them.

Interviews can be very tough to get through and in the past 2 months I've had way too many phone and in person interviews to even begin to count. I don't think I would have gotten through half of the questions without the help of interview books. I may not have gotten the job but at least I felt I gave a good answer.

Also have you ever heard of the book "Who Moved My Cheese?" I think it really helped me figure out some of my own ways of how I deal with situations in the work place when I was asked to describe a scenario. It's really about mice in a maze looking for their cheese but it gives tons of helpful tips. It's a small book that you could read in an hour and within a few pages you'll be able to identify yourself in the book out of the 4 characters.

This what Amazon.com says about the book:
"This is a brief tale of two mice and two humans who live in a maze and one day are faced with change: someone moves their cheese. Reactions vary from quick adjustment to waiting for the situation to change by itself to suit their needs. This story is about adjusting attitudes toward change in life, especially at work. Change occurs whether a person is ready or not, but the author affirms that it can be positive. "

Back
Top Bottom