Genesis Reunion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tribute band that is Musical Box was INCREDIBLE the time I saw them. They did the complete 'Lamb Lies Down On Broadway' and with the original staging, film clips/slide show, costumes from GENESIS the band. It was approved by them as well. My husband and group of friends who saw the actual band perform this back in the 70s thought this was an INCREDIBLE simulation, as did I. I don't know how Selling England By The Pound was, but perhaps it's just not your cup of tea?

phanan said:
I like Peter Gabriel, but I really enjoy the Collins-led Genesis albums myself. Duke in particular is a classic.

Perhaps I'm in the minority on that.

That is a really good album.
The 1983 self titled album is half-awesome and half-filler.
I called it great earlier, eh...it's pretty damn good.

Home By the Sea, Job to Do, Second Home By the Sea, That's All, and I personally think their best song with PC up front, Mama.

bump....

Genesis rocks in all of its forms....
well, not that really awful version in the mid 90s with that random singer...that was a mistake

27th February 2007

USA PRESS CONFERENCE & TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT

Genesis will be holding a press conference in New York at 11 a.m. LOCAL TIME on Wednesday, 7th March. They will be announcing details of their first North American tour for fifteen years. As with the press conference announcing the European concert tour, the New York press conference will be webcast live. Full details of the webcast and more about the press conference soon.

:hmm:

Lila64 said:
27th February 2007

USA PRESS CONFERENCE & TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT

Genesis will be holding a press conference in New York at 11 a.m. LOCAL TIME on Wednesday, 7th March. They will be announcing details of their first North American tour for fifteen years. As with the press conference announcing the European concert tour, the New York press conference will be webcast live. Full details of the webcast and more about the press conference soon.

:hmm:

They wouldn't wait for Peter Gabriel, so :tsk: :shrug: :yawn:

(Phil Collins lead singing :yuck: )

I do like Duke. And a couple of songs on Abacab. But nothing after that. I wish it were with Peter... oh well...

GENESIS 'TURN IT ON AGAIN' TOUR - NORTH AMERICA Date City Venue Fan Club Presale Starts Public Onsale

Fri. Sept. 7 TORONTO, ON BMO Field Thur. Mar. 8 @ 10 am Mon. Mar. 12 @ 10 am
Tues. Sept. 11 BOSTON, MA TD Banknorth Garden Thur. Mar. 8 @ 10 am Mon. Mar. 12 @ 10 am
Fri. Sept. 14 MONTREAL, QC Olympic Stadium Thur. Mar. 8 @ 10 am
Sat. Mar. 10 @ 10 am
Sun. Sept. 16 HARTFORD, CT Hartford Civic Center Thur. Mar. 8 @ 10 am Mon. Mar. 12 @ 10 am
Tues. Sept. 18 PHILADELPHIA, PA Wachovia Center Thur. Mar. 8 @ 10 am Sat. Mar. 10 @ 10 am
Sat. Sept. 22 COLUMBUS, OH Nationwide Arena tba tba
Sun. Sept. 23 WASHINGTON, DC Verizon Center tba tba
Thur. Sept. 27 E. RUTHERFORD, NJ Giants Stadium Thur. Mar. 8 @ 10 am Mon. Mar. 12 @ 10 am
Sat. Sept. 29 CLEVELAND, OH Quicken Loans Arena tba tba
Sun. Sept. 30 DETROIT, MI Palace of Auburn Hills tba tba
Tues. Oct. 2 CHICAGO, IL United Center Thur. Mar. 8 @ 10 am Mon. Mar. 12 @ 10 am
Sun. Oct. 9 SAN JOSE, CA HP Pavilion tba tba
Fri. Oct. 12 LOS ANGELES, CA Hollywood Bowl tba tba

Giants Stadium :| I was kind of hoping for MSG :mad:

Does anybody have any information about the last genesis tour( in 1992) in terms of attendances figures? .I am very surprised that ,in America, they only will play 2 stadiums,considering that their last tour was a 30 date stadium tour. Maybe in 1992 the ticket sales was poor? I doubt it . Anybody can help?

Thank you.

Last edited:
The Hollywood Bowl? :hmm:

Tickets will go on sale in Montreal and Philadelphia beginning Saturday, March 10 and in Boston, Chicago, East Rutherford, Hartford and Toronto on Monday, March 12. For additional on sale dates, official tour and ticket information, fan club membership and early access to tickets, visit www.genesis-music.com.

Tony Banks, Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford will be joined on stage by long-time Genesis sidemen, Chester Thompson on drums and Daryl Stuermer on guitar. Two of the world's greatest show technicians, award-winning lighting designer Patrick Woodroffe and acclaimed set designer Mark Fisher are working on plans for what promises to be one of the most impressive stage shows to tour this year.

This year, Genesis will be honored at the "VH1 Rock Honors" ceremony on May 24.

With the April 24 release of GENESIS: 1976-1981, Rhino Records debuts the first in a series of three box sets spotlighting 13 studio albums by one of the top-selling recording artists of all time. This 6-CD/6-DVD boxed set encompasses five studio albums recorded between 1976 and 1981, plus a bonus disc offered exclusively with this collection that gathers essential rare tracks scattered among the band's EPs and b-sides.

Web cast: The Genesis press conference web cast streamed today and will be archived at www.genesis-music.com for viewing.

For members-only presales, a list of announced shows, further information and regular news updates on Genesis, go to: www.genesis-music.com

The 'Turn It On Again' Tour is presented in North America by Concert Productions International

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

:huh: Beav - You've left me speechless.

I'm a fan of the earlier stuff, and when you see it from the beginning to progress where it did in the 80s, you just have to go :huh: Sussudio is no Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

We'll just have to agree to disagree :hug:

mosquito said:
Does anybody have any information about the last genesis tour( in 1992) in terms of attendances figures? .I am very surprised that ,in America, they only will play 2 stadiums,considering that their last tour was a 30 date stadium tour. Maybe in 1992 the ticket sales was poor? I doubt it . Anybody can help?

Thank you.

I think ticket sales were good, not as good as ZOO TV though. I know that in Philadelphia, their two shows at Veterans Stadium had a higher attendance than U2's two ZOO TV shows in Veterans stadium. I think Philadelphia has always been Genesis's strongest market in the USA. But in Washington DC they were barely able to get just over 40,000 people into RFK stadium, while U2 soldout two shows at RFK stadium.

I'm not sure how other Genesis shows did on that tour. Its been 15 years, so its basically very difficult to determine what demand is going to be like after such a long time away with no new material. It could go either way, and I think they are playing it safe with announcing some arena shows. If each of those arena shows sells out rapidly enough, they may add 10 more stadium shows.

I think all the shows in Europe soldout, but it took several weeks for them to all sellout and Europe, especially Germany is Genesis strongest market.

UberBeaver said:
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

I must be one of those rare fans that loves both the Gabriel and Collins eras. They are vastly different, of course, but I enjoy both for that very reason.

Of course, Beav, you've interconnected solo Collins with Genesis in that post, but in the 80's, it was hard to tell one from the other, especially with Invisible Touch, which I have to admit is the Genesis album I like the least. Just a little too slick for my tastes, although Land Of Confusion and Domino stand out for me.

As I previously stated, Duke is by far my favorite Collins-era album. Abacab is decent, as is the self-titled one. The last one, We Can't Dance, is very underrated, in my opinion. Take out a couple of sappy tunes like Hold On My Heart, and man, great album, if only for Fading Lights...

Lila64 said:
:huh: Beav - You've left me speechless.

I'm a fan of the earlier stuff, and when you see it from the beginning to progress where it did in the 80s, you just have to go :huh: Sussudio is no Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

We'll just have to agree to disagree :hug:

Sussudio isnt Genesis though. Thats Phil solo. :shrug: and there is a difference. Phil solo is WAY more poppy.

I'm not a big Genesis or Phil fan or Gabriel fan for that matter. One of my good friends is a BIG fan though. So I have seen all of them live at some point. I have to say the best out of all of them was Phil with Genesis in 1992. Pretty good show. I think the Gabriel era is OK, but like some others have mentioned I dont really get it or care for it. I saw the Detroit Silverdome show in 1992 and it was as full for Genesis as it was for U2 at the same facility 4 months later. They did play on Memorial Day weekend though so that might have helped. But it was a good size crowd.

Good Genesis songs for me as a non fan are Domino, Home By The Sea, Fading Lights and Driving The Last Spike. All really good songs that are not poppy.

I will probably attend this version of the reunion as I know my friend will want to go. I have to say I will be looking forward to it more than I would if Gabriel was back with them.

Last edited:
Ok, I was just browsing around on iTunes, and I completely forgot how much of the Phil-era Genesis I know.

My Dad was the audiophile in our home, so I grew up listening to everything he did. And his 3 favorites of all time are probably Led Zeppelin, Genesis and Steely Dan.

Now, granted, he and I's FAVORITE Genesis is with our main men, Peter and Steve, but I completely forgot about songs like "Duchess", "Man On The Corner", and "Second Home By The Sea". I have very clear memories of those.

Hmmmm, maybe this tour might be something worth investigating. I'll have to ask my Dad if he'd be interested in going.

(Though it would still be better if Peter were on the tour! Peter on lead vocals! :drool: :drool: )

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but I just bought Police and Roger Waters tickets, and I'm just kinda tapped out on money for concerts.
I was really psyched when I heard about the reunion, but it's just bad timing for the onsale dates, as well as the concert dates (back to school for me....as a teacher).
Maybe I'll try eBay in the summer, when I have more money to burn...

High Traffic Alert
we are experiencing very heavy traffic at the moment, please check back. The presale is on hold and no codes are currently being distributed.

Making for some wicked happy fan club members I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom