Genesis live shows to be issued on cd's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WinnieThePoo

Refugee
i know no one cares

but still.....
some good news

:wave: :up: :applaud:

Starlight bowl - Burbank CA, May 1 1976

Bootlegged: Yes, audience recording
Setlist:
Dance On A Volcano / The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway / Fly On A Windshield / Carpet Crawlers/ Cinema Show / Robbery, Assault And Battery / White Mountain / Firth Of Fifth / Entangled / Squonk / Supper's Ready / I Know What I Like / Los Endos / It / Watcher Of The Skies

Great set, simply all songs played during the ATOTT tour. Looking forward to this one.

Hammersmith Odeon - London, June 13 1976

Bootlegged: No
Setlist: Not sure, but the other Hammersmith shows feature the same setlist as the previous recording.

Probably similar to the other ATOTT recording, but another ATOTT show is always nice.

Rainbow - London, January 1 1977

Setlist: Eleventh Earl Of Mar / Carpet Crawlers / Firth Of Fifth / Your Own Special Way / Robbery Assault And Battery / In That Quiet Earth / Afterglow / Lilywhite Lilith / The Waiting Room (Intro) / Wot Gorilla / One For The Vine / Supper's Ready / Squonk / All In A Mouse's Night / I Know What I Like / Dance On A Volcano / Drum Duet / Los Endos

Opening night of the W&W tour, with some W&W and LLDOB songs that were soon dropped from the setlist, never to be performed live again. Also "Eleventh earl of mar" is a better opener than "Squonk", which was later used as the W&W tour opener. This got to be one of the best volumes in the series.

Gigantinho Stadium - Porto Allegre, Brazil, May 11 1977

Setlist: Not sure, but probably same as Sao Paolo:
Squonk / One For The Vine / Robbery, Assault & Battery / Inside And Out / Firth Of Fifth / Carpet Crawlers / In That Quiet Earth / Afterglow / I Know What I Like / Eleventh Earl Of Mar / Supper's Ready / Dance On A Volcano / Drum Duet / Los Endos / The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway / The Musical Box (Closing Section)

Setlist completely different from the Rainbow show, another absolute highlight in the list.

War Memorial - Rochester NY, March 30 1978

Setlist: Not sure, but probably this:
Eleventh Earl Of Mar / In The Cage / Burning Rope / Ripples / Deep In The Motherlode / The Fountain Of Salmacis / Down And Out / One For The Vine / Squonk / Say It's Alright Joe / The Lady Lies / The Cinema Show / Follow You, Follow Me / Dance On A Volcano / Los Endos

Very early ATTWT show, with "Down and out". IT has always been one of my favorite tours, I'm looking forward to hear an official recording from it. Unfortunately this wasn't the night that "Dancing with the moonlit knight" was performed, but that can be found in excellent quality on SAB 05 V2 (Chicago, 13-10-78).

Friars club - Aylesbury, March 22 1980

Setlist: Back In NYC / Dancing With The Moonlit Knight (Intro) / Carpet Crawlers / The Lady Lies / One For The Vine / Behind The Lines / Duchess / Guide Vocal / Turn It On Again / Duke’s Travels / Duke's End / Say It's Alright Joe / In The Cage / Afterglow / Follow You, Follow Me / Dance On A Volcano / Drum Duet / Los Endos / I Know What I Like / The Knife

Final appearance at the legendary Friars club (read more about their appearances in the Archive 1 booklet). In terms of setlist probably one of the best shows from the tour. Note that this has the same first 3 songs as the MK reunion show. Great choice!

Madison Square Garden - NYC, June 29 1980

Setlist: Deep In The Motherlode / Dancing With The Moonlit Knight / Squonk / One For The Vine / Behind The Lines / Duchess / Guide Vocal / Turn It On Again / Duke’s Travels / Duke's End / The Lady Lies / Ripples / Misunderstanding / In The Cage / Afterglow / Dance On A Volcano / Drum Duet / Los Endos / Back In N.Y.C. / I Know What I Like

Different setlist than the Friars appearance, I hope they can find the other tape so they can release the complete show. Near the end of the tour, the band should be really tight and well rehearsed.

Plaza de Toros Monumantal - Barcelona, Spain, September 25 1981

Bootlegged: Yes, incomplete audience recording
Setlist: Not sure, probably this:
Behind The Lines / Duchess / The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway / Dodo / Lurker / Abacab / Misunderstanding / Me And Virgil / Firth Of Fifth / No Reply At All / Me And Sarah Jane / Man On The Corner / Who Dunnit? / In The Cage Medley / Afterglow / Turn It On Again / Dance On A Volcano / Drum Duet / Los Endos / I Know What I Like

Opening night of the Abacab tour. "Me and Virgil" was soon dropped from the setlist. There's no complete Abacab soundboard recording available among traders, so bring this on!

Spectrum - Phildelphia PA, November 26 1981

Setlist: Behind The Lines / Duchess / The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway / Dodo / Lurker / Abacab / Carpet Crawlers / Misunderstanding / No Reply At All / Firth Of Fifth / Man On The Corner / Who Dunnit? / Like It Or Not / In The Cage / Cinema Show / Colony of Slippermen / Afterglow / Turn It On Again / Dance On A Volcano / Drum Duet / Los Endos / I Know What I Like

Very similar to Barcelona, except for the Carpet Crawlers / Me and virgil change. But as I mentioned before, there is still no complete Abacab soundboard, so another release from the tour is surely welcome.

Forum - LA, August 9 1982

Setlist: Dance On A Volcano / Behind The Lines / Follow You Follow Me / Dodo / Lurker / Abacab / Paperlate (With Phenix Horns) / Supper's Ready / No Reply At All (With Phenix Horns) / Misunderstanding / Man On The Corner / Who Dunnit? / In The Cage / Colony of Slipperman / Cinema Show / Afterglow / Turn It On Again / Drum Duet / Los Endos / The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway/Watcher of The Skies (With Bill Bruford) / I Know What I Like (with Bill Bruford)

I hope they can complete this one, so far they've only found one of the tapes. Guest appearances by Bill Bruford and the Phenix horns.

Forest hills - NYC, August 22 1982

Setlist: Dance On A Volcano / Behind The Lines / Follow You, Follow Me / Dodo / Lurker / Abacab / No Reply At All / Paperlate / Supper's Ready / Misunderstanding / Man On The Corner / Who Dunnit? / In The Cage / Cinema Show / Colony of Slippermen / Afterglow / Turn It On Again / Drum Duet / Los Endos / The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway / Watcher Of The Skies / I Know What I Like

Exactly the same songs as on Forum LA, different order. I had rather seen the Marquee show released, which is also in the band's archives, but this is fine. Again, they haven't found the complete show yet.

Horton Fieldhouse - Normal IL, November 7 1983

Setlist: Dodo / Lurker / Carpet Crawlers / That's All / Mama / Illegal Alien / Eleventh Earl Of Mar / Ripples / Squonk / Firth Of Fifth / Man On The Corner / Who Dunnit? / Home By The Sea / Keep It Dark / It's Gonna Get Better / Follow You Follow Me / In The Cage / Cinema Show / Slippermen / Afterglow / Abacab / Drum Duet / Los Endos / Misunderstanding / Turn It On Again

Opening night of the Mama tour, "Carpet crawlers" and "Ripples" would soon be dropped from the setlist. Another highlight in the series.

Omni center - Atlanta GA, December 13 1983

Setlist: Dodo / Lurker / Abacab / That's All / Mama / Eleventh Earl Of Mar / Squonk / Firth Of Fifth / Illegal Alien / Man On The Corner / Who Dunnit? / Home By The Sea / Keep It Dark / It's Gonna Get Better / Follow You Follow Me / In The Cage / Cinema Show / Slipperman / Afterglow / Drum Duet / Los Endos / Misunderstanding / Turn It On Again

Some changes during the first old medley, and no "Carpet crawlers". Apart from that similar to the previous show. A very long show, the audience recording runs for nearly 2 and a half hours.

Entertainment centre - Sydney, November 26 1986

Setlist: Not sure (there are hardly any recordings from the Australian tour around), but it must be something like this:
Mama / Abacab / Domino / Your Own Special Way / In Too Deep / The Brazilian / That's All / Follow you follow me / Home By The Sea / Throwing It All Away / In The Cage / In that quiet earth / Supper's ready (from Apocalypse in 9/8 onwards) / Invisible Touch / Drum Duet / Los Endos / Turn It On Again

The band is joined by a string ensemble on "In too deep" and "Your own special way" (and I guess also on "Follow you follow me"?). It also features one of the last performances of the In the cage medley featuring "Supper's ready". As I said before there's hardly any stuff from this tour available among traders, in my opinion the best release in the series.

Mayflower theatre - Southampton, October 23 1992

Bootlegged: Yes, incomplete audience recording
Setlist: Not sure, but probably this:
Land Of Confusion / No Son Of Mine / Driving the last spike / Dance On A Volcano / The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway / The Musical Box / Firth Of Fifth / I Know What I Like / Fading Lights / Jesus He Knows Me / Carpet crawlers / Home By The Sea / Hold On My Heart / Domino / Drum Duet / I Can't Dance / Tonight Tonight Tonight / Invisible Touch / Turn It On Again

i hope it's true

great news but...:sad: :( :ohmy: where on earth are the Peter Gabriel era shows ? :sad: Too much Phil Collins :eyebrow:

Well, they had these live releases called "The Shorts" and "The Longs", which is a start...

What I don't get is that they plan to release "official" audience recordings?

Would definitely prefer the Gabriel days. Hubby has some stuff he found on ebay with Gabriel (DVDs). Amazing.

Hey Winnie - Do you know about 'Musical Box'? They are simply amazing. To say they are a tribute band would be an understatement. We caught them in December 2004 where they recreated the entire 'Lamb Lies Down On Broadway' show, originally done 30 years ago. They have Genesis' actual stage set up & props, along with input from Genesis. I think they are touring Europe (unless they are done now). It was incredible! I wasn't old enough to know about them in the early 70s, but my husband and his friends had been to the original shows in 1974. This was the next best thing. To top it off, we were sitting in the balcony in Hollywood, CA for this show. Our friend kept getting up and walking around (he was supposed to be elsewhere working, but...it's "Genesis"!). So when he got up, you know who came to sit in his seat? Armando Gallo! If you know much about Genesis, he was their photographer for years! In the early 80s, he'd come into the record store that my hubby & I worked at and he'd bring his book in so that we could sell them there. At the show, hubby mentioned who he was, and Armando remembered. He had this incredible digital camera (duh), and was showing us the shots he was taking. He took one of the drummer, and showed us that it could have passed for Phil Collins 30 years ago.

Keep me posted on the recordings above. I'll see how interested hubby is in for post-Gabriel tours. (or PM me, email: madeleinesmom @ yahoo.com)

i also read that musical box invited phil collins to play on drums
and he DID :)

quote :

TMB in Geneva Feb 24th- brilliant /with PC- Wow !

So let me give you a short summary of this yesterday evening event and show.

First, I've never seen the show TLLDOB played with so much perfection ! Brilliant, excellent performance of all musicians, excellent well balanced sound, excellent and warm audience. Really the best "Lamb" of my life.

Both guitarists played extremely well, the bass pedal is my prefered instrument !
Excellent work of the keyboardist, specially on all solos part (Aaaah, slipperman!!)
Tremendous energy from the drummer, far much better that the previous performance in Fribourg. This guy is a Genesis drummer, for sure !
Excellent performance, voice and staging from the singer (Denis?).

So the show went on, strongly supported by long and strong applause from the audience after almost each piece of music.

"It" came as the end piece of the show and the band received then a (first) standing ovation !
During this ovation, the drummer (wearing a red/white Musical Box T-shirt I think) left the stage.
Then, a few seconds later, he came back, with the same T-shirt, but wearing glasses, no more beard and very few hairs. YES, Phil Collins is on stage, discretely he thinks, but, hey, Phil, we've recognised you !

Again a standing ovation for him and the band, (he didn't need a special introduction from Denis!)
he than sits behind the drummer's kit.

Some cymbals adjustments later, Denis introduced the next song, the Musical Box and at the first sounds coming from the "new" drummer, again big applause from the audience. Can you imagine, Phil was playing Genesis, exactly as 30 years ago !

And he dit it well, drumming and singing the back vocals (applause again when we heard his voice).

End of the song, last and long standing ovation for the whole band ( 6 members in total!), congratulations between Phil Collins and each TMB member, long salute together to the audience (still standing of course).
End. Lights on. No second Encore, too bad. But still a great and unforgettable evening with Genesis!

Phil.

ps: that was hard to take some pictures, the staff member running around when you raise up your hands with any kind of devices and I didn't take any. So even harder to record the show. However, I've seen two professionnal videos cameras, no special logos or TV, recording the show I hope. Don't know who they are.

here is a small 30sec video

phil playing

about recordings , let's wait for official release date

:wink:

Hubby said he heard about the 'live recordings' you originally mentioned. Thing he's part of some web/yahoo Genesis group. Don't know if he saw the PC clip - I'll show him when he gets home.

So did you catch Musical Box on their brief tour? Or the brief DVD release that was out then pulled/deleted?

Back
Top Bottom