Garth to be on Academy of Country Music Awards....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wizard2c

Refugee
Hi!

Just watching the Academy of Country Music Awards from Las Vegas. They mentioned Garth Brooks to appear.......????

:)

Funny story....back circa ZooTV when I was living in NYC, U2 were in town and I was in a taxi with a friend late late one night. We'd been joking about 'what if we ran into Bono' somewhere. Suddenly we were in a traffic jam in front of a hotel and there was a mob of people outside. All we could see was the top of a hat surrounded by a mob of girls. Never mind that Bono was no longer sporting The Hat; we decided it was Bono. As the taxi inched closer we began to shout Bono out of the window (ok, maybe 'there was drink involved'). Suddenly there was a clearing in the mob and Garth emerged waving at us. We didn't skip a beat...we went from shouting Bono to shouting Garth faster than two shakes of a rat's tail.

Ok, it wasn't that funny but it's all I have to say about Garth. :p

Garth really put Country music back on the map when it was kinda sliding downhill. And his concerts were just fantastic...just like U2's {but I've never seen a U2 concert so I can't compare the two}.

They even have a countdown to Garth in Country Weekly as to the number of days till his retirement is over.......

I have all of Garth's CDs and music......and will always be one of his fans. His influence upon Country music cannot be denied.

:wink:

PS: Keith Urban is cute too. :wink:
Gotta leave...Kenny singing now.............

Garth was just on and looked terrific....got quite an ovation from the audience. He was there to present an award to the late Chris Le Doux {most non-country probably never heard of Chris} but to those who do....know.

:|

Garth killed country. His first album was pleasant neo-traditionalism, then he gradually drifted into syrupy pop crap. Now modern country is largely bad dance music (last I heard it, anyhow).

Mind, his music was never even that bad. But his imitator's (and imitator's imitator's) music is horrible. Kind of like Nirvana.

But you're right, his influence, for better or worse, was pretty big.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
Garth killed country. His first album was pleasant neo-traditionalism, then he gradually drifted into syrupy pop crap. Now modern country is largely bad dance music (last I heard it, anyhow).

Mind, his music was never even that bad. But his imitator's (and imitator's imitator's) music is horrible. Kind of like Nirvana.

But you're right, his influence, for better or worse, was pretty big.

U mean U dunt liek cOwBoY tRoY?!1?!?!?!?!

:heart: hick hop :heart:

:barf:

What's amazing is during Garth's rise to fame, and "saving" country music, Johnny Cash was putting out some of his most brilliant records, and being completely ignored by county radio and Nashville.

I adore Garth Brooks, and I mean that sincerely. I own his boxed set, which he was awesome enough to price so affordably for his fans. I think it was $35 for the 6 CD set. :up:

But I don't love him because his boxed set was cheap. I love him because his songs were good enough to make you stop and listen, even if country music wasn't your thing. His voice is perfect for country. He had style. He's from Oklahoma. And man, his live shows put most performers' concerts to shame.

I can't wait for him to unretire. :up:

And I'm sad to hear Chris LeDoux died. I didn't even know. Guess I've been away from home for too long. What happened?

HeartlandGirl said:
And man, his live shows put most performers' concerts to shame.

Again back in NYC, I used to occasionally get last-minute calls from a couple of roadies I used to know through an ex-boyfriend. They all lived and worked out of Nashville and toured with everyone from really boring emerging country stars that no one had ever heard of to people like Garth Brooks and Pearl Jam. So they'd call me at the last minute when they were in town and invite me to the show of whomever they were touring with. I think they just liked being able to put a girl in NYC on the guest list, lol. I remember getting a call to see Garth for free and always regretted not going. I had some lame excuse like I just got home from work and I'm tired. :| I really don't like mainstream pop country music at all but I always had a soft spot for him--and not just because he waved at me--but because his songs were thoughtful and he seemed like a good guy.

I definitely think Garth is a good guy. I watched the CMT version of his 'Behind the Music,' and he seems so sincere. He cries a couple times talking about things that have happened in his life and career. It was emotional to watch.

When he unretires, we'll definitely have to go to one of his shows. My little sister saw him back in the day and was blown away. :up:

Everyone is entitled to their musical preferences.

BTW.....do you know that the country Bono is trying to save......well it actually has their own style of music too? {funny thing..........music is a universal language....I can now see why there is so much war fare going on in the world.}

I have an open mind to all types of music........guess if I listen to the score from The Lord of the Rings I have to be.

Chris died of liver cancer......and was a star professional rodeo rider.

:|

Anyone else read the thread title and get a visual of Dana Carvey in a blond wig and glasses playing drums at the Country Music Awards?
Excellent.

Hewson said:
Anyone else read the thread title and get a visual of Dana Carvey in a blond wig and glasses playing drums at the Country Music Awards?
Excellent.

:lol: remember him on the ZooTV screen playing drums??

Don't really get it....so I just won't post this topic any more.....seems everyone here has a problem with Country so I won't ever mention Country music again.

Said and done.

:wink:

Last edited:
"Garth" was a Saturday Night Live character of Dana Carvey. Hewson was not saying anything negative about Garth Brooks, just that when s/he saw the title s/he thought of that Garth, not Garth Brooks. And then I remembered during a live broadcast during ZooTV they had the Dana Carvey Garth character playing drums along with U2. It was hilarious.

I'm sorry you're offended. This forum does not have a lot of country music fans but several of us have said quite nice things about Garth Brooks.

Do Miss America said:
When country music stopped playing Cash, Loretta Lynn, Willie, and George Jones country music died.

Country music has no soul anymore.

There's plenty of soul in alt.country artists like Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle and even Emmy Lou Harris. Pop country is a whole other thing. But there are as many different kinds of country music as there are rock music.

joyfulgirl said:
"Garth" was a Saturday Night Live character of Dana Carvey. Hewson was not saying anything negative about Garth Brooks, just that when s/he saw the title s/he thought of that Garth, not Garth Brooks. And then I remembered during a live broadcast during ZooTV they had the Dana Carvey Garth character playing drums along with U2. It was hilarious.

I'm sorry you're offended. This forum does not have a lot of country music fans but several of us have said quite nice things about Garth Brooks.
I believe it was during the MTV video awards that Carvey was hosting in 1992, the ZooTV show was from Detroit (Pontiac) if memory serves. U2 was shown doing EBTTRT on the MTV awards, and "Garth" played drums along with the song, and was broadcast on the ZooTV screens at the show.( and Hewson is a he)

And wizard2c...Garth is Wayne's sidekick from the Wayne's World skit (and subsequent movies) from Saturday Night Live. Though he does have a last name (which I can't currently recall), he is always just referred to as Garth, whereas in my world, Garth Brooks is not of the Prince, Madonna or Bono status of being known by only one name, he is "Garth Brooks". So at first glance at your thread title, thats what came to mind, especially since he's done an awards show in the past.

Hewson said:
Though he does have a last name (which I can't currently recall), he is always just referred to as Garth, whereas in my world, Garth Brooks is not of the Prince, Madonna or Bono status of being known by only one name, he is "Garth Brooks".

Garth Algar, I'm pretty sure.

I love those movies. :lol:

Garth: Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played girl bunny?
Wayne: No... No.
Garth: Neither did I. I was just asking.

i think garth brooks was also the guest on the first episode of "muppets tonight". i think it was funny, too.

anyone know/remember what the hell i'm talking about?

IWasBored said:
i think garth brooks was also the guest on the first episode of "muppets tonight". i think it was funny, too.

anyone know/remember what the hell i'm talking about?

~plays along~

Yes and I remember REM on Sesame Street too :)

joyfulgirl said:

There's plenty of soul in alt.country artists like Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle and even Emmy Lou Harris. Pop country is a whole other thing. But there are as many different kinds of country music as there are rock music.
I absolutely agree, I mean just look at my avatar. I'm a huge fan of country. I grew up on Patsy Cline, Willie, Cash etc and I love Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Emmy Lou Harris, etc but the Country Music Industry has ignored these folks. They ignored Johnny Cash with his last albums which arguably are some of his best works, they ignore Loretta Lynn's new album, they ignore Emmy Lou Harris. Now I think that can be said for all music industries but I think Country music is the worse offender of this crime.

Pop music still has a few bands with soul that sometimes inflatrate the mainstream, but Country radio, CMT, the industry as a whole has lost ALL soul. Just my opinion.

wizard2c, don't let anyone around here stop you from posting about the artists you like. There are quite a few people here with far-reaching taste in music who might want to discuss them with you. Just ignore the dissenters. :)

And where I'm from, Garth IS in the first-name-only category. :up:

Do Miss America said:
I absolutely agree, I mean just look at my avatar. I'm a huge fan of country. I grew up on Patsy Cline, Willie, Cash etc and I love Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Emmy Lou Harris, etc but the Country Music Industry has ignored these folks. They ignored Johnny Cash with his last albums which arguably are some of his best works, they ignore Loretta Lynn's new album, they ignore Emmy Lou Harris. Now I think that can be said for all music industries but I think Country music is the worse offender of this crime.

Pop music still has a few bands with soul that sometimes inflatrate the mainstream, but Country radio, CMT, the industry as a whole has lost ALL soul. Just my opinion.

Ok, I see what you're saying and I totally agree with you. Loretta's new album (the one with Jack White) is just awesome. I put a song on a mix I made for a couple different people and they thought I was nuts. It was the only song on the mix they didn't like. :(

joyfulgirl said:

Ok, I see what you're saying and I totally agree with you. Loretta's new album (the one with Jack White) is just awesome. I put a song on a mix I made for a couple different people and they thought I was nuts. It was the only song on the mix they didn't like. :(

crazy people. i don't really care for either of them usually (loretta lynn or anything jack white-related), but i thought what i heard was pretty decent.

joyfulgirl said:

Those 3 are great, especially Steve Earle. He's always's a good quote too. He calls Garth Brooks "the anti-hank"

Back
Top Bottom