Gamers Zone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RavenBlue

Blue Crack Addict
I just thought I'd start a thread for all the video gamers , I know you're out there. Discuss your favourite games, or ones you've rented and what you thought.. or what ones you totally despise. What's your fav system and all that jazz?

The first system I played on was the Intellivision.. I still love it. Those games were alot of fun, and quite challenging.

We just recently rented NHL 06 and Medal of Honor European Assault.

NHL 06 was okay, although I still prefer 04. I like the adding of the goal replays at the end of the game. But they've the same announcers, and some of the same lines. The fight engine is quite strange.. you can't seem to block it in which makes it less fun. The buttons were a bit strange. Z +Y and such.. though you could likely switch them around to how to like them.
All in all, it was okay...

MOH: European Assault was great. Unlike when we rented Rising Sun, I didn't beat it during the rental period.. and I was very impressed with the multiplayer. It's not quite as good as MOH Frontline.. but it's almost there.

--
Question of the day

What system are you most looking forward to?

Nintendo Revolution
XBOX 360
PS3

Turbograffix 16..... :wink: Just kidding!

I also think NHL06 is a little weak, but it is an improvement. In terms of visual realism, it's eons above NHL04. I like that when a player gets hit in the leg by a puck, he actually hobbles around a little afterwards. I also like that you can't sit on the speed burst button endlessly. But the commentary sucks, as usual...thank goodness they did improve it slightly, though - they actually give random little facts about certain players and coaches. Controls suck, especially since I'm running it on a laptop. (I'd get a controller, but I'm lazy and have no money). The menu music is AWFUL. I had to change all of it. And I also changed the intro music for when the teams hits the ice - Streets, naturally. Unfortunately, I didn't mix enough crowd volume into it so the atmosphere sucks...and I corrupted the sound file so I can't edit it again. :wink:

As for other games, I only like old school PC games. Age of Empires. :drool:

EDIT: One more thing about NHL06; the e-mail system in Dynasty Mode is SO much better than in NHL04. I signed Peter Bondra to the Habs for the hell of it, and he wasn't playing that well...I kept shuffling him in the lines to see if he would work. It didn't help much. The game practically read my mind, because he soon sent me an e-mail begging to be kept on the team as he believed he could improve! :lol: I laughed so hard.

Last edited:
RavenBlue said:
Can't go wrong with older games for sure. Any fans of Monkey Island here? Such a funny series!

Guybrush is my hero:wink:

My favorite games ever are probably:

Age Of Empires 2 (PC)
Battlefield 1942 (PC)
Terranigma (SNES)
Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)
Shenmue (Sega Dreamcast)
Championship Manager 01/02 (PC)
Final Fantasy 9 (PS1)

Although this list changes every now and again:wink:

Unfortunately though I haven't played anything in ages, not enough time:|

Last edited:
I LOVE Monkey Island but have only played 3 and 4 (Preferred 3, Guybrush was so annoying to control in 4). What about other LucasArts games, like Grim Fandango? :drool:
I'm a big fan of point and click, especially the Broken Sword series.

Fav console? Well, NES was the first one I owned (Mario Bros 3 is the best game ever as far as I'm concerned), the Speccy had a really wide variety of gaming genres, and of-course the PS took gaming in whole new directions, the SNES was so colourful and had Mario Kart, the PS2 had/has amazing potential (but few games seem to be really making use of it in my opinion. For every MoH frontline there's ten games that are identical to PS ones but with better graphics) the PC had all the best strategy games... aw, they were all great in their own way.

Fantastic thread :up: thanx for creating it.

My favourite game is Deus Ex, the original of course not that ported sequal :madspit:

Duke Nukem 3D gets honourable mention and I am still waiting for DNF!

The best game i've ever played is ocarina of time, but i'm really into madden 06 right now.

I liked Far Cry and Deus Ex too. Prince of Persia 1 and 2 were fun too. Along with Unreal Tournament.

00Kevin said:
The best game i've ever played is ocarina of time, but i'm really into madden 06 right now.

No way. Nothing beat playing multiplayer Goldeneye on N64. That was without a doubt the best game.

edit: I missed the words "I've ever played". Oh well. Goldeneye was awesome.

unosdostres14 said:

No way. Nothing beat playing multiplayer Goldeneye on N64. That was without a doubt the best game.

edit: I missed the words "I've ever played". Oh well. Goldeneye was awesome.

I agree multiplayer goldeneye was great, but even perfect darks multiplayer was better

My favorite Games

Final Fantasy 7,8 and 10
GTA VC
GTA 3
The Legend Of Zelda The Windwaker
The Sims 2
Devil May Cry
Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic

I'm looking forward to the PS3 and the Xbox 360 as well.

Last edited:
hooo boy

My favorite games ever by platform, I'm going to attempt being thorough so this might take a while. :hmm:

NES
Mario Bros
Metroid
Legend of Zelda
Bad Dudes
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
T and C Surf Shop
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Mega Man 2 and 3

SNES (hoo boy)
CHRONO TRIGGER!!!!
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Super Mario Kart
Street Fighter II (any incarnation)
Mortal Kombat II
Mortal Kombat III
Super Star Wars
Super Empire Strikes Back
Super Return of the Jedi
Mega Man X
Mario Paint
Final Fantasy 2 (4)
Final Fantasy 3 (6)
EARTHBOUND!!!
Jurassic Park
Super Castlevania IV

Sega Genesis:
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (don't laugh... okay, laugh)
Aladdin
Sonic and Knuckles
Mortal Kombat

Nintendo 64:
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Castlevania 64 (hey, i liked it even if no one else did)
Pilotwings
Waverace
Super Mario 64
WWF No Mercy
Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Playstation:
Castlevania: SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT :drool:
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy Anthology
Suikoden
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider II

Playstation 2:
Metal Gear Solid 2
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (crap game, but I love it anyway)
Dynasty Warriors 4
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
Devil May Cry

XBOX:
Ninja Gaiden
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Dead or Alive 3 (I adore Team Ninja, see above two games as well, duh)
Karaoke Revolution (!!)
Tony Hawk's Underground
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Jade Empire
Mortal Kombat: Deception
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks

Nintendo Gamecube:
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Resident Evil
Resident Evil Zero
007: Nightfire
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Mega Man: Anniversary Collection

As you may notice, I have no Halo or GTA listed. Can't get into them for some reason.

Atari 2600 was the first system I played on.

I did love the games on Intellivision too.

When the first Nintendo system came out it came with Super Mario Brother, Duck Hunt and the gun. My dad and I would play both for hours!

We had a shit load of games for the Commodore 64. A few of my favortites were Pirates, Legacy of the Ancients, and the Bards Tale series.

After that I went to PC. If I wanted my console system fix I'd just go to my friends house and play on one of his systems

PC games. Star Control 2 was a pretty fun game. Back in 2002 the code was released to public and a group of people took it made it playable on today's systems. Look for Urquan Masters, free download.

My recent favorites are Warcraft 3, Starcraft, World of Warcraft and City of Heroes.

Donkey Kong for Super Nintendo is my favorite video game EVER! :love:

Although I do like Sly Cooper and all the Rathcet&Clank games for PS2.

Well I use to not play at all. I would laugh at my husband and son when they would go to LAN parties. Well the last laugh is on me now and I'm hooked.
I don't get to play much but when I do I like to play Battlefield 2 and World of Warcraft. I use to play Far Cry until BF2 came out.
Now my husband is telling me that BF2 Special Forces is coming out on Tueday, guess I will give that a try as well. :wink:

I can't play BF2 due to my graphics cards capabilities, although I still play BF42 now and again due to its sheer playability:wink:

daafish said:

We had a shit load of games for the Commodore 64. A few of my favortites were Pirates, Legacy of the Ancients, and the Bards Tale series.

Penguin Adventure!!!!!

Also, Donkey Kong Country 3 (think that's what it was called) for the SNES was fantastic.

ZeroDude said:
I can't play BF2 due to my graphics cards capabilities, although I still play BF42 now and again due to its sheer playability:wink:

I haven't played that one. I think my husband has that one, but he doesn't play anything but BF2 now.

The Battlefield series is extremely addictive plus it develops your vocabulary:wink:

:giggle:
You are very right about the vocabulary. BF2 was the first PC game I played and I got so hooked after that. Then I tried WoW and that just totally sucked me in, more so than BF2.
I dare not even try EverQuest or should I say EverCrack.

Resident Evil Four comes out for PS2 near the end of the Month:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Im a Resident Evil addict. I actually went over my buddy'd house and "borrowed" his gamecube to play certain RE games that werent on PS2.

mdw3935 said:
:giggle:
You are very right about the vocabulary. BF2 was the first PC game I played and I got so hooked after that. Then I tried WoW and that just totally sucked me in, more so than BF2.
I dare not even try EverQuest or should I say EverCrack.

It's so true but:wink:

Oh and to "TheBrush" RE 1 on the PS 1 has the best voice acting ever:wink:

Oh boy, the Commodore 64. My uncle had one. I remember playing an Olympic game on it and it was so funny. There was one with the caber toss.. and if you didn't throw it right it would land on your head. :lol:

Wind Waker is just such a beautiful game. It's hard to not get caught up in the stunning artwork when playing it.

I just recently beat Majoras Mask. Finally! Now that is a hard game. I'm really looking forward to the new Zelda that is slated to come out in February the screenshots I've seen are very :drool: !

I'm a big FPS player.

Goldeneye is still number one. Along with Doom (I can't believe they're making a movie out of this one)
Wolfenstein (the original!)
Blood
Rise of The Triad ( I loooooved this game)

I really enjoy the Bond games too! And the Medal of Honor ones.

Timesplitters 2 is another great FPS... and it can be quite funny as well!

I'm not going to go into huge depth, cause I could talk for gaming about hours, but I'll take this opportunity to remind you of some classics:

River City Ransom
Kirby's Adventures in Dreamland
Dr. Mario
Tetris
Blades of Steel
Metroid
Super Metroid
the Legend of Zelda series - namely link to the past, ocarina of time, majora's mask, and windwaker (because it was secretly an awesome game, don't hate on the art)
Street Fighter 2
Double Dragon
Battletoads
Duck Tales
the Gauntlet series
Megaman - and by megaman, I mean almost all megaman games ever made, because most of them are awesome.
Contra
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Secret of Mana 2
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 3)
Ecco the Dolphin
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Commander Keen
Castle Wolfenstein
Pirates! (haven't had a chance to try Sid Meier's second attempt, released last year)
the King's Quest series
the Ultima series
Age of Empires
Civilization 1 & 2
Command and Conquer, & C.n.C Red Alert
Starcraft
Warcraft 3

With regards to sports games, namely hockey, strange as it sounds, I actually still prefer some of the old Sega/SNES games like NHL 93, NHL 96, and for the pc NHL 99 to some of the newer ones... sure, the newer ones are prettier, and sure, there are more features and more realism... but part of the enjoyment I took from these games was that they were somewhat surrealistic. You -could- hold onto the speed boost button indefinitely. You had no trouble bodychecking someone into the boards without drawing ridiculous penalties. You could injure people during fights. The animations for bodychecking were hilarious and people flew in funny ways - more specifically, physics as we know it didn't apply, making it more amusing in its distinction from reality. *shrug* to be honest. I don't have much time to game anymore, and the newest NHL game I have is 2003, and I've only played that a handful of times.

As for consoles... I really wish Nintendo would get its shit together, but I'm afraid that they're going to end up going the way of sega, and become a game developer... not only does it seem like nintendo is out of decent ideas, but they don't dedicate the resources required to do properly the decent ideas they do come up with. More often then not, they just remake, re-release, or rehash old games for new systems.

I think the system to beat is going to be Microsoft's next one - as much as it chagrins me to say it. Microsoft irritates me so.

I love video games.

I recently bought X-men Legends 2. It's a lot of fun. I'm planning on buying Ultimate Spider-man and Marvel Nemesis in the near future. I can't wait for Kingdom Hearts 2. Fantastic Four was a lot of fun.

Here are some of my favorites:

Sonic 2 Sega
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade game NES
Any Mario game before N64
The Adventures of Batman and Robin Sega
Kingdom Hearts PS2
X-men Legends PS2
X-men 2 Sega
Tetris NES
Contra NES
Bubble Bobble NES
Aladdin Sega

I'm looking forward to PS3

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:

With regards to sports games, namely hockey, strange as it sounds, I actually still prefer some of the old Sega/SNES games like NHL 93, NHL 96, and for the pc NHL 99 to some of the newer ones...

I love the crowd animations on NHL '94!! And with regards to old sports games, I remember how on Madden '96 I just used to use Hail Mary all the time 'cos you just had to stand and wait for a bit before pressing 'Y' and throwing it the full length of the pitch for a touchdown! The new ones don't let you perform feats like that regularly :(

I really want to make a list like everyone else has but there'd be too many games that I'd have to leave out for me to choose.

I generally gravitate toward sporting titles:

Championship Manager/Football Manager
Police Quest (And other such Sierra games :wink: )
Shane Warne Cricket - PS2
Jonah Lomu Rugby - Playstation
The origional ThemePark & Theme Hospital were awesome
I have been known to bust out various versions of GTA for long periods of time when the mood strikes me.

I'm only small fry compared to most here :wink:

Best attempt at a Top Three Fav Games list.

Atari:

Pitfall
Q-Bert
PacMan!!

Memories: The coloured blobs (graphics) that despite looking identical were all supposed to represent different things. And Pong! I forgot Pong! I still like to play Pong clones even now :reject:

Speccy:

Hijack
Dizzy
Winter Wonderland/Bulbo and the lizard king/ all those other great text adventures

Memories: Spending hours waiting for a game to load then spending one minute playing the game before getting bored. Also, knowing WHAT to do in a text adventure but not knowing HOW to write it so that the computer understands it. This usually resulted in me typing abusive messages for the computer to "Not understand what you mean. Please try rewording your request."

NES:

Mario Bros 3 :bow:
Shadowgate
Donkey Kong Jr.

Memories: My mum and brother playing tetris FOR HOURS (seriously, I'm talking playing till after midnight here) and me getting huffy because I wanted to play Mario Bros 3.

SNES:

Kirby's Dream golf course game thing
Secret of Evermore
Mario Kart

Memories: Hail Mary on NFL and the crowdometer on NHL '94 :up:

PSOne:

FFVIII
Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon
Theme Hospital

Memories: First time I played Broken Sword 2, it introduced me to point and click games :drool: . Also, FFVIII is NOT the worst FF ever.

PS2:

Broken Sword 3
Red Dead Revolver
I suppose I ought to say the GTA games 'cos the freedom and variety of the gameplay was amazing (you could complete most missions however YOU wanted to) but, erm, the appeal of snipering someone's head off and then watching the blood squirt from the neck was sort of lost to me. :shrug:

Memories: BS3 :drool: :drool:

PC:

Sid Meier's SimGolf
Grim Fandango
Commandoes 2: Men of Courage

Memories: Thinking I was doing SO well on Tropico then before the year was out I'd have lost all my money, have a starving population and a jungle full of rebels.

I've missed a ton of games out. Basically I like 'thinking' games as opposed to 'shooting' games but Red Dead was great. And I liked the 'do it your way' part of GTA. But I am pretty crap at FPS 'cos I get so jumpy and trigger happy. I usually end up mowing down anyone (friend or foe) who enters my path. I remember playing Rainbow Six on the PS and under my brother's tutition I'd actually got to the end of a really hard level that involved infiltrating an oil rig that had bombs and terrorists on it. I finally managed to defuse the last bomb and was so relived that in the few seconds before the 'mission accomplished' screen came up and froze the game, I decided to do one of those victory gun firings in the air. Naturally I hit the defused bomb causing it to explode, killing everyone and the 'mission accomplished' screen became a 'mission failed' screen. :|

Wow, very long post. Guess this makes me a MAJOR nerd, eh?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom