Gamers Zone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kings Quest was so much fun! I can't remember which number it was.. 5 or 6 I think, came in a dark blue box... that one was just.. awesome!

One of my fav PC games was Gunship 2000. You would fly a helicopter and do missions and such. The thing that bugs me with XP is you can't seem to play many of the old games on it.

The old NHL's are still so much fun. I think it was either 94 or 96 where you could check people sort of after the play. I loved that! And there was no annoying commentary! Plus in the fights you could pull the sweater over the guys head like a true hockey fight!! Hehehe.

I've just recently rediscovered the multiplayer on Agent Under Fire and we now add in bots and such during play. It gets really funny when you speed it up fast.. you really get a gist quick of how much you truly suck when you play against the bots :laugh:

We also once had a PC game called Wolf. You were a wolf and went around looking for prey and avoiding hunters. The whole point was to become the Alpha female, or male and raise a successful brood. I thought it was a really neat concept.

I can't really play any of the old NHL's right now as our SNES passed away about a month ago. It'll still turn on, but it won't play any games.

It served us well, now to search the second hand shops for another!! I can't live without SNES!

My NES is getting like that. :sad: RIP. But on the plus side if you are really determined it will still play Mario Bros 3 which is obviously the most important thing! Also, Link works really well on it. I didn't used to play that game a lot 'cos I didn't understand it at all. But then I played FFs on the PSOne and so when I decided to drag out the NES I gave Link a go and was hooked for a good few days.

Yes, our NES also takes some coaxing to work as well. It will be interesting because the Nintendo Revolution claims that you will be able to play any game that's ever been released on any Nintendo system. That's pretty cool.. as long as the controls work out.

Mario 3 is such a fun game and I have to say that World 8 in that game has to be one of the hardest levels ever.

My favourite Mario is Mario 2. It's just such a different game from the other games in the series.. and very fun. I also love Mario World for the SNES. I think I've beaten that well over a hundred times and I still love it!

You know what? I've never ever, ever beaten Mario Bros 3 for two reasons.

1. I either end up playing it for hours and getting to world 8 with 30 or so lives but by that time I really can't face playing it still. (Oh, for a save function!)

2. I cheat and use warp whistles to get to world 8 with 4 lives and end up dead before I've hardly even started. I agree with you world 8 is just so hard. And it's made worse by the fact that you can't see the whole world and are never entirely sure how much further you've got to go till the end.

I never really liked Mario 2 (probably for the exact reasons that you like it!) but it was still a great game. All the Mario Bros NES games were.

I did have a Mario SNES game but I can't remember what it was called...Mario had a yellow cape instead of a raccoon suit? And Yoshi was in it. :confused:

Last edited:
Mario with with cape: Super Mario World that in my opinion is the best alongside Mario Bros 3:drool:

Also anyone who didn't have the chance to play Mario 64 on the N64 buy a DS :wink:

RavenBlue said:
Oh boy, the Commodore 64. My uncle had one. I remember playing an Olympic game on it and it was so funny. There was one with the caber toss.. and if you didn't throw it right it would land on your head. :lol:

I remember that one, I think it was either Summer Games I or Summer Games II :lol:

I always like playing Winter Games though

I totally forgot to mention one of my favourites, and it's a funny one too : Day of The Tentacle. This one was so much fun and hilarious as well. It also had the original Maniac Mansion in it. Aunt Edna in the original one used to freak me out! Hehehe

To the Chron - o - John!

My absolute favorite WWII fps is Brothers In Arms: Road To Hill 30 (Xbox). The perfect mix of realism and playability. If you don't use strategy you're dead, unlike MoH and CoD where you can get by running and gunning. The graphics are outstanding, the sound and voice acting is top notch, and the level design is awesome - often almost exact replicas of the actual locations in France, and scripted to follow the actual flow of the actual battles.

I highly, highly recommend it. It does require patience, as you will die often.

I think there's another one in the series coming out soon, too. I can't wait!

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:

Police Quest rocks my socks :D

Leisure Suit Larry :eek:

LSL ruled my gaming life. I found the humour & social comment in the game quiet brilliant.

As an 8 year old half the challange of the game was trying to answer the questions at the beginning - I still didn't quite understand the concept of the game... which was probably good given the age. Police Quest would have been much more wholesome.

Such a great game. Best theme music ever in a game too! :D

Favourites:

Monkey Island 1-3 (have not played 4)
Day Of The Tentacle
Indiana Jones & The Fate Of Atlantis (one of my first games)
Megarace (ditto)
Wolfenstein 3D (bundled with the other two on my first PC)
Doom
X-Wing Alliance
Brian Lara Cricket '96
Sensible World Of Soccer
Super Fire Pro Wrestling X
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret Of Mana 2)
God Of Thunder
Command & Conquer Series (up to Tiberian Sun)
One Must Fall 2097
Legend Of Zelda: Link To The Past
Raptor: Call Of The Shadows

I have to say one of my favourite NES games was Excitebike! I loved that game (actually I still do)

I haven't played Monkey Island four either. Well I think we rented a PS2 one and rented it as well. But that's the last time. It's a hard game to find for the PC.

I've only ever played Harvest Moon: Back To Nature on the PSone but I loved it. Though I gotta admit the whole taking care of 20 sheep/cows brushing them all, talking to them thing got very tedious. Especially as you couldn't run through them like you could the chickens so if you were in the barn it used to take me 10 minutes to cross the room. :crack: And if you hired the harvest sprites you had to give them something every day or they hated you but just as you'd lined up to hand them your last bottle of wine they move and you end up smashing it on the floor.

But nonetheless it was a great game, really addictive. :up:

Diemen said:
My absolute favorite WWII fps is Brothers In Arms: Road To Hill 30 (Xbox). The perfect mix of realism and playability. If you don't use strategy you're dead, unlike MoH and CoD where you can get by running and gunning. The graphics are outstanding, the sound and voice acting is top notch, and the level design is awesome - often almost exact replicas of the actual locations in France, and scripted to follow the actual flow of the actual battles.

I highly, highly recommend it. It does require patience, as you will die often.

I think there's another one in the series coming out soon, too. I can't wait!

Have you tried the games from Battlefront.com?

They are the chess games of military strategy with decent graphics for their style of play.

Angela Harlem said:
Has anyone played Silent Hill on PS2? I got it for $2 and have never started it.

I think I've played a demo of it. The games mag described the demo as spooky because everything looks normal but you just know something's about to change...the suspense!!

Er, yeah. After 10 minutes of nothing happening (is this what passes for suspense these days?) and me seemingly not being able to do anything (remember when games' mags used to actually print the controls to demo games???) despite pressing every button available, I turned it off.

But for a fairer summary perhaps this would help?

http://my.ign.com/my/sb?pageID=2003&nuaction=gameSearch&gameTitleSearch=silent+hill

From the looks of things I must have played Silent Hill 4: The Room.

F.E.A.R.

I have just started playing it, OMFG it is the most frightening game I have ever played and the best bloody FPS I have played in a good long while. On par with System Shock 2, but much more scary.

This holidays I am gearing up to get back to my roots a bit, after two years of actually going out and doing real things its back to playing some video games and going to LAN parties (at least some of the time).

Last edited:
I was just perusing some of my old PC gamers (I have a deck going back to 1996 of various PC mags) and I saw a wargasm preview in there.

I've been playing 007 Everything Or Nothing again lately. At first, I didn't care for it.. being third person and all, but once you get into it.. it's really quite cool. Tons of levels too. The thing I'd wish they'd do with these third person games that used to be first, is have an option to play it in first person as well as third.

A quick prediction for the next gen console games:

Nintendo next gen:

Link XXIIII
Mario Bros. Now in 4D!!
Mario Kart V
Pokemon Teal edition!
A Donkey Kong Spin-off which is just down-right bizarre.
Various 'updated' versions of SNES classics like F-Zero that are somehow identical to the originals but with better grpahics and ruined gameplay.

PS3:

Another hackneyed shoot-em-up/stealth-em-up concept. (x500)
Another FF with hours of cutscenes/character dialogue voiced by the most inappropriate people possible.
Latest sports games with identical gameplay but updated teams.
One decent and original game that won't be advertised and will never see the light of day again because 'it isn't what sells'.

X-Box next gen:

Identical games to the PS3 but with better graphics.

A note on the 'next gen' console names. My research was obviously exhaustive and knowledge unsurpassible :| (feed off the sarcasm people). ;)

Yeah, I know cynicism isn't good for me but I just feel like no-one's trying anymore! The only remotely original games these days seem to come out on PCs which is fair enough. But PC games always seem to have bugs, need patches and within a year the top-of-the-range computer that you just paid the Earth for becomes unable to play the latest releases anyway! (I'm exaggerating I do that when I'm annoyed.)

I agree that noone seems to be trying anymore... Nintendo has been doing nothing but rehashing old games, and they've maybe had 4 or 5 games with the GC that were original concepts, coupled with good execution... the rest of them were remakes, or ass.

The PS3 and XBox 360 are, I think, going to kick nintendos ass. Which makes me sad, because Nintendo has always been my hands down favourite. But, the games are going to be better, have better playability, and since XBox has already breached the 'online consoles' market, Nintendo is now going to have to find a way to make up for lost ground... and I don't think they're going to be able to do it.

Kinda sad, though, that people can't even be arsed to go across town to visit their friends, drink a case of Dr. Pepper, eat 4 bags of doritos, and stay up all night gaming... they have to sit at home and connect remotely for it. Where's the fun in that? You can't run interference on people's views of the screen or anything. Lame :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom